Full Restore of a TY 350

Discussion in 'Trials' started by agspecialties, Nov 27, 2012.

1. agspecialties

agspecialties Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found this bike a couple of years ago in pieces. I just am getting done with a project, so i told myself that this bike is going to be my next project.
    I am thinking i am going to have a hell of a road ahead of me on this one. I am pretty sure that i have a full bike.
    The first problem that i have to face, is the cylinder. Its in some nasty shape. I also don't have a piston.
    As far as the engine, its looks and feels pretty good.
    Plastics are in bad shape also.

First step, strip the bike down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The table full of parts. I am hoping that everything is there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll check back on your progress, in about 5 years....:lol3
  3. dmay

dmay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Step #1 is definitely locate a piston and repair cylinder. I'd call Wiseco first and see if they can make one. Maybe contact Eric Gorr too(He charges for brief consultations,which I think is cool,puts a stop to lookylous)

Look for a runner,TY350's are amazing engines which seem to last forever.You have to do something stupid to hurt them like to forget to put any oil in the fuel.

Personally I have wondered if a 1983 IT250 cylinder and piston would fit,but I guess they have a problem with cracking cylinders so that may not be a wise experiment.
  4. oldyams

oldyams Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The plastics are pretty inexpensive for oem replacements compared to most. I got mine from my local dealer for less than $30 each. If you "try" I said "try" to paint the tank start with VHT vinyl dye areosol. It's the only thing that I have tried that worked without bubbling within a few weeks. I have read that the cylinders cannot be bored on the 350"s as they are chrome, where the 250 mono was cast. I have 2 of them that run great and look good and I have less than $800 in both of them so be careful how much you put into it. I look forward to see it restored!
  5. agspecialties

agspecialties Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made some phone calls today and found a shop in TN that works on TY 350's . B&J Racing Products. For around 900.00 i can get a new piston and have my jug sleeved and he also does something with the port timing. I am going to check around a little more. I know of a guy in Souther Cal that works on the TY's also.

Does anyone have any input on shops?
  6. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'm brand new to this, but i just bought some tires from b&j shipped to Florida and asked tons of questions about my sherpa at no charge :rofl great guys to talk to, fast shipping, kept in contact thru emails. i have also had the same results from another online shop called speed and sport trials. novice questions gladly answered, quick shipping, parts as advertised and in stock. wish i had a local shop that i could support, but you mention bultaco around here and shops scratch their head. mention parts for a trIAls bike, and they think you are mispronouncing trAIls.
  7. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
  8. agspecialties

agspecialties Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot man. I will have to look into this
  9. hippie

hippie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the 360 mx piston with the L ring is what your looking for,i think its a RT 1.
    i have one that i put a steel bore in.and had the 360 piston trimmed.the 360 piston is to long,so it needs trimmed.
    plus there cheaper than any other pistons i found for mine.the steel bore is cheaper than a new barrle,if you can find one.pm me if you want more info,and where i found my parts.
    Shane.
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I've heard OEM pistons are unobtainable for that bike.
  11. agspecialties

agspecialties Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure how much futher i am going to go on this bike. I have had a number of people that want to buy this bike as it sits.

I am kicking around the idea of getting rid of it and finding something else to restore.
  12. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    ???

Mmmh ... in my personal view the bike is now too much in bits to get it sold in on piece.
    Parting out ... I personal don't like this.

To get a new custom made piston, is no problem and at least in Germany not very expensive.

The bike is a really good runner it would be very sad to abort the project here.
  13. hippie

hippie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the piston i bought was from a 360 mx.not a ty 350.i looked all over for a oem piston for the ty 350.after 3 months of looking i gave up and went the steel bore route.
    Shane.
  14. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:

Maybe cheaper, beside additional costs for shipping and taxfee:
    http://www.wahlspezialkolben.de/

They speak English too.
  15. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    That's a big plus, because half of the people in the US can't. And I'm including the ones that were born here too.:eek1
  16. Gordo83

Gordo83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to change the subject, but what is the white jug with the black pipe going to ? doing there. I've had an 85 TY350 for several years and haven't seen this add-on. This is in regards to the craigslist TY350
    in Kansas City.
    [​IMG]
  17. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I've seen the mod, on several of these old Yamaha bikes in Wichita area, back in the days. I ended up with a 350 not long ago that had this, but I dont really know what it does... Because, I only rode Bultaco's back in those day, so cant tell you exactly, but I think it was Some theory about response time on throttle using this "can" which I believe stores up "vacuum" so that when you crack the throttle it acted differently. I could be wrong...
  18. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Tell me about it. :bluduh
  19. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:

That is a hand made Yamaha YEIS System, that they had back then.

YEIS stands for: Yamaha Energy Induction System

The YEIS consits of a plastic container, which is connected with a rubber hose to the inlet of the engine.
    This creates a kind of reservoir between the carburetor and cylinder, in which the two-stroke mixture will retained when the slide (little or no gas) or the gates/reeds of the cylinder are closed until the slide or gates/reeds by the piston are opened again.

The system also works as a vibration damper in terms of sound (Greetings to Hemholz) at certain speeds between the combustion chamber and carburetor as the gases oscillating back and forth.

The YEIS causes a better engine response, more torque at low and medium revs and a lower consumption by up to 10%.
  20. xtnomad

xtnomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are still looking, I boxed away quite a few parts years ago, Rings,Pistons Gaskets Reeds ect. I have a stock cylinder and head still on the shelf. PM me.