Is the BMW Rallie 3 Jacket worth the $?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CTerrySGD, May 3, 2013.

1. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone wearing this and can comment on how it wears from spring to fall in the northeast? It can get pretty hot and humid in PA in the late summer. What separates this jacket from a less expensive touring jacket?

Thanks!

Chris
  2. paulW

paulW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had one, hated it. The outer is NOT waterproof, if you wear the inner waterproof jacket they are unbearably hot, the trousers stick to your legs like plastic bags when you get sweaty and when it does rain, the outer jacket gets soaked and very heavy and takes forever to dry. In my view, they are suitable only for mainly dry climates. Useless in Europe.
  3. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked mine up yesterday so I cant comment on wear and tear or cold weather performance or much of anything really except two small points. First, the coat is extremely comfortable. Ive had lots of coats and this one even being brand new was like wearing an old broken in coat. Everything seemed to just feel natural. Second, it flows air very well. It was quite warm yesterday and I doubt I would have been much cooler riding in just my t-shirt.

Admittedly, it wasnt the first coat I looked at and I a really questioned myself before buying it but within the first few miles I was loving it.
  4. freyke

freyke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have any of the BMW clothes, but I've tried them on - they fit good if you're a slim build. Damn spendy though. I went with a combination of Firstgear KILIMANJARO and KLIM pants... Good bang for the buck on these...
  5. epicxcrider

epicxcrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear mine from Feb-November for commuting. The venting is really good and It's a great jacket until the temp gets above 95. I've ridden about 18,000 miles in it so far, crashed wearing the suit on a dirt road and came out fine - you can barely tell on the jacket. The armor is awesome as is the abrasion resistance. Turning it into a vest is great on super hot days.

On full day rides I do make sure I wear full length poly-pro pants and shirt under it to help wick moisture away when it's hot. Commuting wearing cotton works just fine. The outer layer isn't waterproof but it is breathable and that makes it much more comfortable in the summer months. The inner layers are good wind barriers, but that's all I use them for - I have a one piece rainsuit that fits over it for real rain.

All in all, I like the system - it's not perfect for everyone, but works great for me.
  6. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far, this is not my experience. The liner in the RP3 is vastly different than the RP2. The RP2 was Goretex which is certainly waterproof, but also very hot and does feel like wearing a sweaty plastic bag in the summer. The RP3 has a different type of material that so far, seems to be living up to its billing. I haven't tried it in 90+ degree weather, but I can really feel that it does flow more air in warmer temps than in the cold.

The liner though isn't the reason to own one. Without the liner, the thing vents nearly as well as a mesh jacket but offers much better protection. It is comfortable and fits extremely well. Armor is great and well positioned.

I can use mine without a heated liner from 40 up to as hot as it gets in the Mid-Atlantic area. Putting in the rain liner is a hassle, but means it breathes better than a waterproof shell.
  7. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    In a word, yes.

It flows so much air that even with the liners in, it's chilly below about 50 degrees. I've spent plenty of hours and miles in it over 110, and it's fantastic. I've never had an issue with water coming through the liners. When it's really hot, I'm not concerned with getting wet, so I usually don't bother with the liners.

I like it so much, I wear it on my Harley too.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
  8. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    One thing nobody has mentioned so far: It's one of the few jackets on the market that has protectors with proper coverage. When you look at them and their protective coverage, a lot of others just fade away in the background because the armor is plain too small. Especially the back protector is huge.

I crashed (highside) in a Rallye 2 Pro and it was the elbow and shoulder protectors that spared me a lot of damage to my arms ... I slid long enough to wear through the outer material, but the protectors covered me well, they didn't move (they pretty much can't because they are so freaking big), and they took the impact very well.

It also flows and incredible amount of air. For the Bay Area it often flows too much air and I put the liner in even in summer when going to the coast.

To make it short: I love my new Rallye 3 and it was worth every penny - although I got it online, saving about $200 compared to the local dealer.
  9. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    IMO, its great for dry regions like AZ, not made for wet weather riding on a regular basis. Mine was comfortable down to 34 degrees with the liner in it and I wore it during the summer when it was 115 degrees with LD Comfort shirt under it. It breathes very well, but I found it too hot for running errands around town. You won't find a jacket with better armor coverage, either. I was a little disappointed in the quality of mine because the corner of the sleeve ID pocket ripped after a month or two, but a local seamstress fixed it for $6 instead of sending it off for warranty repair for a few weeks. I ended up selling mine because I still had to buy a waterproof outer jacket. I rode in the rain once with just the waterproof liner under it and it was still wet a day later (had to throw it in the dryer). I ended up replacing it with a Klim Badlands Pro, but that gets put away in March when it gets too hot to ride in around here.
  10. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I carry an Aprillia rain jacket I got for $16 for cases where it's either really cold and I want to block the wind early, or when it starts raining. I would never consider the liner as a rain barrier other than in total emergency cases.
  11. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like all-in-all most people are happy with it. Breaths well... good armor... plenty of pockets and places to stash stuff. I don't care much about the rain because I will be carrying rain gear in the event that its going to rain much.

I really just want something that I can wear on a night like tonight where it was 50 on the way home and it can be buttoned up for a nice warm ride and once it gets to be 90 out, will flow and breath well enough so I don't come home looking like it just rained :-) Obviously good armor us nice in the even that I go down.

Thanks for all the thoughts! $699 online seem a little more reasonable then the $899 sticker at the dealer.
  12. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    Had mine for 5 years now. I think it is great. Used it below freezing and into the 90's. Handled both just fine. It's bullet proof. Yes the inner rain liner can be a pain but all in all i would buy another in a heart beat if anything was to happen to this. I have washed it in bathtub. water looked like coffee but suit came nice and clean.
  13. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    $699 seems awfully high. I paid $599 for mine brand new at the dealer. It was the grey version. For some reason they wanted $699 for the black and yellow. I think they came down $100 since the new colors are out. I had a hard time selling it used at $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me know where you're seeing $599.... When was that and was it for the older Rallie 2 jacket???
  15. epicxcrider

epicxcrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine used, jacket and pants for 700
  16. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had my suit for two years . I ride year around in Colorado . 25 to 100 degree range so far . It is comfortable and versatile for me .i got mine at 30% off sale at A&S.
  17. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Check on eBay. Available in black or grey.
  18. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had my R3 for nearly four years and wouldn't trade it for any other. I ride in the SE and it vents/flows lots of air. Above 95, a wet t-shirt and the vents partially closed feels like AC. The only downside I have noticed is the red stripes fade to orange over time. I have about 50K miles on mine.

Dave
  19. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    It was a Rallye 3 from Victory BMW in chandler, AZ where I bought my bike. That was November 2011. Last time I was in there about 2 or 3 months ago they discounted them 30% more because the new colors were coming out. I wish I never read this thread. I just picked up another grey R3 today on eBay for $560 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be some small but subtle differences in the 2013 Rallye and the Rallye 3 ... I don;t know what they are, but when you're looking at dealer vs online - know there is a difference. I tried some on yesterday and didn't feel any differences one way or another, not positive about the liner differences if any. Could simply be a "this year new" vs last years "old" ..

2013 colors are blue/grey or grey/rd (mens)