I'm going all the way up to Deadhorse next year

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by nuttynu, Oct 3, 2012.

1. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    so i rode all the way up to Arctic circle and coldfoot.. with my cbr600rr, that was with touring tires, arriving at Arctic circle. met all the GS guys, and ooh no "you aint going to make it up to the top with those tires" then i got some chills and decided i should wait till i find some knobby tires, went into Ak leather and they showed me the continental Tk, i think these are going to do the trick for next year! yeeeHAAA

my tank can do maybe a good 130 miles to a tank, i carry a 1 gal jug, should i plan on getting more gas jug from the stretch from Coldfoot till Prudhoe ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to the top with these tires. what cha think?? :clap

[​IMG]
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Cool. Yeah, do it. I also know of a Busa, a Ducati SS900, and a MV Agusta that have done it.

More importantly tho, IMO you should join us in Dawson City Yukon next Solstice for a great get-together. :choppa AND compete in the Biker Games. This year a guy on a Ducati Hypermotard won the "Ball Drop" contest and he and his wife are planning on being there again next year. :ricky

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  3. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Will do so, I'll bet getting prep this winter
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    When I was in Fairbanks at the U I saw all sorts of bikes go up the haul road - a Vespa scooter with two women in their 70s did it - R1 Yamaha - Rebel 250 - Goldwings - Harleys - RTs all did it. The fastest ride down the haul road from Deadhorse to Fairbanks that I'm aware of (about 6 hours) was done on a Yamaha FJR running Metzler 880 tires in the rain. No reason you cannot do it. Most important thing to get is to get your head right. Ride within your abilities and know when to go slow or even take a break. Have you checked to see if they make TKC80s for your bike? If not then there are other good dirt tires that may come in a size that will fit. For example, Heidenau, Kenda and Shinko. A place like Alaska Leather can help you find a tire that will work. Good luck!
  5. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those tires look like Michelin PR3?
  6. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

Not sure what your 130 miles relates to without your tank size?

You should work out your MPG accurately. I know myself in a Vstrom 650 and with a GS1150 both had large 22lt tanks and we both took a US gallon container and used it, we may have got away without it but prudence won.

Good luck and have fun

FYI a few years ago the Iron Butt rally ran some bikes up there and they are road tourers, a few made it but the most common failure was due to the buildup of snot from the road on the tyres/mudguards causing wheel stoppage and the blockage of the radiator due to the same snot

It will depend on road conditions but if I can do it anyone can

Cheers from Bangkok
    Travellingstrom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    TravellingStrom
  7. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    As said before rider ability is more than 1/2 of it allowing one to make it all the way to Deadhorse. As far as fuel, the Coldfoot to Deadhorse stretch is around 260 miles+-, so you NEED to plan accordingly and have spare fuel to boot just for unforseen stops or delays. Like Marc mentioned, just plan for D2D 2013 as a warm up run:D I;m sure you will be able to find a riding partner for Deadhorse in the crowd. Going solo MIGHT not be the best choice.
  8. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes they are

Will do, and I mean my bike can do about a good 130 miles to a full tank.
    I can bring extra gas jug , and yes ya are right about having skills, cause I know the first few miles intothe Dalton. It got me in check ad I was like ok ..100% focus .
    And why not go solo? I guess I will meet with some of you adv rider ad ride next season. Everyone I ride with are city limit riders.
  9. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    If you come to Barb's Movie Nights @ Alaska Leather you can meet a bunch of us. And have LOTS of food and drink. Fun!

Mark H.
  10. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see him just about once a week when Im getting stuff for the house, however he doesn't know me.:D
  11. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Haha well say hi. I got love for two wheels
  12. morethanone

morethanone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So are you going after or before D2D. I am planning on going also and need to contact someone from either Anchorage or Fairbanks.:1drink
  13. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am planning on doing the Haul Road next year as well. Thinking mid to late July. Going to have parents here early July. I am also thinking about adding rotopax cans to the bottom of my bags. That along with 6+ gallon fuel tank should get myself and another bike through the 250 mile stretch on fuel. I can't do it in 6 hours though!!! I also have a 01 XR650L for sale with wolfman rack and bags.
  14. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Maybe July. I want to go dead horse when summers in full Spring!!
    What do u need to contact about. ?
  15. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    I'll prob be taking two 2-gal gas jug with me
  16. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes they make the tkc80 for my bike and ak leather also have them.. About $400 a set
  17. morethanone

morethanone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nutty,
    Will not be taking my 2012 C14 up the haul road. Planning on buying a bike in Alaska just to make that leg of the trip instead of renting one. Think I could buy (and sell upon leaving) a bike just for the haul road for less than renting one from the established shops.
  18. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    What kind of bike are u planning to get ? U might be able to buy and sell in that te frame. Depends . How long you going to be staying up here ? And I know most place rent for like $1500 for 7 days . Something like that
  19. morethanone

morethanone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Renting is not a viable option due to overwhelming liability when used off road. looking for something less than $3000 that needs no repairs except tires and brakes and able to take on the haul road. think I can probably do more than $3000 in damage to my new C14 on that haul road. so I prefer to park it and use something more disposable. I am willing to buy a bike for $3000 and sell it for $1000 two weeks after and consider myself ahead of the game. will start looking in the bike for sale ads to see what's in fairbanks.
  20. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Morethanone.

For all whom been up to dead horse . Beside staying in rooms .. What are th option of tent camping ????