2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting I believe the new Ducati suspension has progressively wound spring and I also understand the BMW GS is in a similar camp. Though the BM is 6,000 more expensive this difference starts to shrink when you add in the extras and quality differences.
  2. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Due to the fact the discussion is related to springs and suspensions, i take the chance to ask the owners of the R version (which doesn't have the electronic suspension) if it's easy to adjust manually the suspension.
    How much time it takes and if the manual contains all info about such adjustments.

I am owner of a GS adv. with the electronic suspension but not so happy due to the fact it broke the electronic part and was not possible to perform any changes in the settings. Luckily was changed with White Power improved version (the whole suspension) under "good will warranty" but still there is a psychological trauma that might occur again...

So, I am really interested in changing to 1190 adventure R, but would be nice to know in reality if it's easy to adjust the suspension.
    Morning time i might be alone and afternoon with my girlfriend and luggage (this happens frequently).
    I am used to my GS adv. that i just press a button, therefore my concern.

Thanks a lot guys and hope to receive good feedback in my first post :D
  3. XsilverGS

XsilverGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GorgeD. I have a 1190 (not R) with manual suspension, I may be able to answer some of your questions.

The rear preload takes seconds to adjust, the handbook has recommendations for the number of turns of the adjuster knob for different loads. The reabound damping screw is easily visable, not that I've changed this yet as still running in and only ridden solo at the moment.

One odd thing is if you buy it with the electronic suspension the centre stand is included which is not the case with manual suspension on the road version.
  4. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2013 BMW 1200 GS (water cooled) Touring Edition..... £13859.
    heated grips
    dynamic suspension
    tyre pressure monitors
    traction control
    abs options
    Cruise control
    heated Grips
    riding modes

2013 KTM Adventure 1190 Crashbars & Boxes .......... £13899.

Riding modes
    Electronic suspention
    Tyre pressure Monitors
    Abs (offroad,and combine)
    crash bars
    Boxes.

this is to you guys to have a little look which one is more expensive? :huh
  5. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XsilverGS: thanks a lot for the quick answer, yes it helps a little bit.
    I am considering the R model because I am sure the 30mm difference (comparing to the normal 1190 version) will make the difference while traveling in both on and off road terrains. R version has 220mm suspension travel front and rear, the "normal" version has 190mm both front and back.
    The same applies at least with my GS adv. I have noticed difference between the normal GS and the adventure.

As said, thanks for your answer and the comment regarding center stand :eek1
    Enjoy your nice bike :-)

Would really appreciate feedback from someone who changes it often: if it's easy and how much time it takes.
  6. igorpetrovich

igorpetrovich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the R
    I checked and changed the setting from standard to sport of both preloads and hydraulics, it took me 15 min.
    I'm not pariculary demanding, like silverGS. When I drive with my wife I just change the rear preload and it's not even neccesary. A question of 10 sec.
  7. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi igorpetrovich!
    You have a very nice bike by the way :-) , I have followed this thread and your photos.

I guess i will do the same (when and if i buy the 1190 R).
    I will set it to standard/normal (most probably) and will have to change the rear preload based on the luggage and/or 2nd passenger.

So, in a few words, you mean that the only setting for adjusting the rear preload is done by turning a small "wheel" either right or left. Am I correct?
  8. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    by "wheel" i mean the one that appears in this photo (close to the orange spring):

[​IMG]
  9. igorpetrovich

igorpetrovich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, and since I keep the preload stiffer than standard when I travel with a passenger I don't change it (because I can't speed....)
  10. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    New vid here shows some great ride footage for the 1190 "T".

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdRZSsJUm_k?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdRZSsJUm_k?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Unfortunately, no sound due to a copyright claim on the backing track.

Low-spec rear shock doesn't appear to cause any problems.
  11. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    That movie was hilareous, even without sound. Another reason I really need to learn French.

What exactly is meant by the phrase low-spec rear shock? Is the model used for the electronically adjustable version less variable or lower spec?
  12. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    I believe that was sarcastic - sarcasm is a little tricky to pull off on forums.

Funny video though!
  13. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the parts fiche, no external reservoir.

[​IMG]

Hence, gas compensating for volume change as shaft enters shock body has to be held in the main tube.

Usually via emulsion in the damping fluid, or in a bladder, or under a floating piston.

Not necessarily an issue, especially in touring use. Possible drawbacks compared with external res system:

- lower volume of damping fluid and less surface area for dissipating heat.

- no adjustment for compression damping (invariably the compression adjustment is sited where fluid flows into the external reservoir).

This shock has adjustments for rebound damping and preload only. Again, not necessarily a bad thing - a lot depends on execution and typical use.

R model shock for comparison:

[​IMG]

The compression adjuster is at 6, top of the external reservoir.
  14. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, looking at those two diagrams, an available inference is that the electric shock is at its core a throw-away item, whereas the "R" shock is rebuildable and easily opened for revalves.

I'm sure if anyone knows better, they'll correct me. :ear
  15. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering why the R is more expensive, I mean is there someting extra on the R ? The standard has the more complex suspension , 21 inch front wheel should not add a lot? Perhaps its the bars ? Or maybe there is something else?
  16. XsilverGS

XsilverGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where has your dealer fitted the rear reflector? Mine came in the KTM bag but I don't see a place to fit it.

Also there has been mention of the rear foot peg height. I've had to remove the grab handles as my wife who has short legs found the grab handles pressed on her legs.

In the Settings menu there is an option "Octane 80", can anyone explain this? I thought you used the "Bad Fuel Dongle" for low grade fuel so why would you need an option as the bike would know the dongle was fitted?
  17. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's more handsome. :-))))
  18. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sorta explains it ??? Not
  19. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The UK website lists the base "T" model at 12,600 pounds. But that is with manually adjusted suspension, no centrestand, and no tyre pressure monitor.

Adding those as a package adds 500 pounds, bringing the price of the "T" model to 13,100 pounds.

The "R" sells there for 13,200 pounds. No electric suspension but it has the tyre monitor, centrestand and the crashbar standard. It also has the more sophisticated rear shock, as above. Suppose I should take a look at the fork.

So in Britain, prices for the optioned-up "T" and the "R" are only 100 pounds apart.

Here the optioned up "T" is about $1000 less than the "R". (The base "T" won't be offered, at least initially, or so I am told.)

Various explanations possible for the price discrepancy:

- the importer wanted to emphasise the price difference from the new BMW GS.

- the importer ordered only a few "R"s but thought enthusiasts would pay more to get them.

- a mistake was made in understanding the spec level of the initial batch of "T" bikes brought in here, and by the time the error came to light prices were already announced. So, the importer wears the cost of the option package.

I've inquired about whether we can special-order the "T" without the electric suspension. No firm reply yet.
  20. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    In SA the R is fitted with crash bars and I'm assuming the 21" front will also be more expensive