Kelsow does NS to NL to LAB to QC to NB and home.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kelsow, Aug 18, 2013.

1. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi there Bigolechalupa.

Thanks a bunch Mtl_Biker.

Got up in the am to threatening skys so I packed up fast and hit the road. The rods here in this part of QC are fantastic.
    It started to rain about an hour into my trip but with little towns to pass through with scenes like this, you can't go wrong.
    [​IMG]

A V6 even,
    [​IMG]

For some reason I don't like heading out in the rain but if it starts raining while riding, I love it. The colours, smells and scenery take on a new look.
    [​IMG]

The 138 is absolutely gorgeous, even in the rain. I have ridden this stretch of road a few times and I will be back.
    The ferry crossing from Tadoussac is apparently free, or at least I didn't pay anything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My "rainsuit" and gortex liner were soaked through in about an hour. It had stopped raining but the temps were starting to climb,
    [​IMG]

I thought the first bike shop I see I'll get a new jacket. Well didn't I find a multy dealer including BMW so I picked up a jacket
    which would prove to be very effective. About 1/2 hour after buying the jacket, it got up to 30 deg and sunny.

Well Tourmaster. I never liked you,
    [​IMG]

I was sultry to say the least. I made it to Quebec City with hopes of seeing some sites, but the traffic and the heat directed me
    to a cheap motel for a shower. I had a very interesting conversation with the motel owner with me speaking very little French
    and her even less English.
    But we managed and for 80 bux a night, it fit into my budget but the amount of mirrors on the walls was a little unerving...

I happened to find something to do for the evening. Anyone recognise this building?
    [​IMG]
  2. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is it when you're on a road trip, the second you start heading towards home as opposed to away from it, something inside you changes?
    It does for me anyway. It's like the trip is over. It a very unfortunate feeling but I fought it the best I could.
    I tried to spend some time in Old Quebec City, which is why I went there but the traffic and heat changed my mind for me.

Off to the 132 and Riviere-du-Loup.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to do the Gaspe Peninsula again but was running low on cash.
    So on toward Grand Falls I went. In Reviere Du loup there is an awesome motorcycle museum that I finally made time to see.
    WELL worth the 8 bux.

Please excuse me while I post many pictures,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my favourite one,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get at me wolf,
    [​IMG]

On the way to Grand Falls NB you will see this place. It's an art gallery, or should I say "art" gallery.
    [​IMG]

They have painted the building pink and have thrown ranges and sinks and other crap into the pond.
    [​IMG]

I guess I don't get "art"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to make a detour off the 132 but did get to see this,
    [​IMG]

I thought it was cool,
    [​IMG]

And then I see this,
    [​IMG]

The weather was awesome with sun and HUGE rain clouds in the distance, or at least that's what I thought.
    It came down hard for about an hour but I was quite dry in my new raincoat.

I LOVE NB for many reasons but this is one,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped for a coffee and muffin.
    What I said was "Le grande cafe, avec deux creme et deux sucre and une muffin", pointing to the muffin.
    This is what I got,
    [​IMG]

I guess I need to work on my Francais. Tabernaque!

I would ride into and out of rain for the rest of the day but I didn't care.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another covered bridge. This one is the longest one I've seen,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped at a family campground in Woodstock. Looks nice right?
    [​IMG]

Wrong,
    [​IMG]

And to top things off, I had broken my camp spork so I had to go all MacGyver on my cigar tube.

Mr. Noodle and tuna never tasted so good.
    [​IMG]
  3. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Final chapter,

I was hoping to ride along the Saint John River, all the way to Hopewell Rocks so I plugged in the route in my GPS the night before but when I turned it on in the am
    it had re-routed me. I was zoomed in too close so I didn't notice that the route had changed and the damn thing wouldn't use my avoidances.
    I rode an hour on one road that turned into a highway so I turned back to take the correct route.
    Does GPS stand for Garmin Piece of Shit?

I did manage to see some more covered bridges so not all was lost,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't for the life of me remember where this is but it sure was cool, (I'll fill in the details when I get a chance)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a couple of sections where you have to get on the highway but only for 10 mins or so.
    Soon after you can be on some nicer roads, like the one to St. Martins, the #111

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took some OK pix last trip so I didn't bother this one but I will post a couple here,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 bridges, one shot,
    [​IMG]

When you let your GPS take you from point A to point B, some interesting things can happen.
    Usually you'll find some nice scenery,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other times, not.
    If you stay on the Fundy Trail, you'll come to this fantastic section of road that yor GPS says goes all the way to the Fundy National Park.
    Well it doesn't. Even Google Maps knows it doesn't. https://goo.gl/maps/SvZH4
    I got caught last year ending up on some trails that weren't fit for snowmobiles, but I manage to get through.
    This year I asked for directions and ended up heading overland to get back on the highway.

Once I got back on the 114, I headed toward Fundy National Park and believe it or not they'e doing road construction.
    It was like the trans lab all over but at 20kph behind a follow me truck. I almost dumped the bike several times. How cruel would that have been?

I stopped at Ponderosa Pines Camp Ground listening to the neighbors xm radio classic 80's. Good times again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it pretty much. Got up the next morning and headed for home.

I did drop into the railway museum to take a few pix,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for coming along for the ride.
  4. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    I lived nearish Tadoussac for 3 years and I got some pretty funny orders at first. The locals seem to say "Un grand deux-deux" for double-double... but it's all in the accent :lol3

This is pretty cool. I'd like to know where it is :ear
  5. UKbri

UKbri Just a Rider

Oddometer:
    Great to meet and ride with you guys. Glad to see you all got home in one piece.
  6. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    And you. I hope you and the girlfriend are well on your way again.

I just figured it out, it's the Town of St. George, http://goo.gl/maps/KlVxk
  7. UKbri

UKbri Just a Rider

Oddometer:
    We're still in NFL. Down in a cabin in Burin Peninsula recuperating. Beautiful down here. She's doing well and putting weight on it now.
  8. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing Kelsow. I really enjoyed your report. I'll have to spend some time in NB. Last year I rode from Campbellton straight through to Sydney in one day and it rained most of the way so I couldn't see too much. I am glad I got to ride the Trans-lab when I did because, like you, I feel the pavement will change the whole experience. It will be interesting to see how well the pavement will be maintained after a few good winters!

Peter
  9. Red KLR

Red KLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report .
    Loved the photography .
    Were there some HDRs in that report , or is it saturation manipulation ?
    I see where you stated you've had your fill of the TLH , time to move on to something else ; what's next ; Radisson on James Bay ?

Red KLR
  10. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    Damn it, I road right by this spot and didn't see it. I hate when that happens.
  11. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    nice :thumb
  12. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very colorful. Even the Tim Horton food.
  13. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone.

Yep, a couple of each and a bit of everything.

I attempted James Bay but got bored on the ride there and turned back.
    I need to take pix every so often and there was nothing on the way there.
    Maybe some other time though.
    I ended up touring through Ontario and Quebec. It was awesome.
  14. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride report :clap

Stunning pictures...