1. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Had it for breakfast this morning.

30 mile commute to work turned to shit about 10 miles in. I have been caught in snow, rain, sleet, hail etc. Do not think anything clenches one up quite as much as riding in dense fog in the dark. Thankfully god's furry woodland creatures and I came to an understanding. They didn't wander into the road and I did not hit them. I consider this a win. :norton
  2. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Of all the weather types I hate to ride in, Fog is the thing I hate the most. (I'll even take a snow/hail commute first)
    Not being able to see properly sucks worse than slip-sliding around I.M.H.O.!
  3. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Fog and darkness are a bad combination. I run into dense fog on my morning commute quite often in the late fall. Not fun.

Any condition that reduces my visibility (fog, rain, snow, darkness) causes me to instinctively tense up a little, and I can't stop holding on too tight to the grips. I have to force myself to relax my grip.

Glad you made it okay.

"Motorcycle auxiliary fog lamps" —Wait, this isn't the Google search box.
  4. Mistress of the dual

Mistress of the dual Some say....

Oddometer:
    30 mile commute often in heavy fog in the dark. First few months was tough but I got used to it and now it's no big deal.
  5. royal

royal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ridden a lot of places in a lot of conditions, but nothing compared to the dense fog I hit on the BRP up on Granddad Mountain.

I was with a group of six bikes. The fog was so thick you could not see two feet in front of you. It was all you could do to see the tail light of the person in front of you. Why didn't we stop ? We were so disoriented that we didn't feel safe or see a place we could safely pull over. We were literally going less than 10 MPH. We knew that up ahead was a restaurant and a large parking lot. But, just trying to find the turnoff was brutal.

There were also tunnels that we had to go through. THAT was incredibly disorienting. Going through the tunnel where the fog would abate for a minute and then seeing a wall of white at the far end was bizarre. It was so bad that when the other five bikes found the turnoff (A left turn) for the restaurant, even though I couldn't have been a few feet off the next bike's bumper (I was riding tailgunner), I didn't realize they turned off. I continued for a bit before I realized I was alone.

I made a very scary U turn and found the turnoff. I pulled into the large parking lot (Couldn't see the restaurant from the parking lot because of the fog) and didn't see my riding partners. So, I turned my bike off and listened. I could hear voices so I walked towards them and found them by the sounds they were making. All of them were scared that something bad had happened to me and they didn't even know where or how to look.

That was a few years ago and I haven't seen fog like that again (And I hope I never do). Getting off the mountain that day was an adventure to say the least. Thank God no one got hurt and we all survived. But, it never fails that when we are all together, one of us will bring up the day we road in a cloud !
  6. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    When the fog had lifted enough to continue on the BRP.

[​IMG]
  7. HooliKen

Oddometer:
    Yep been there done that. Afton mountain where Skyline Drive turns into the BRP. Sat there for at least three hours one day because it was not safe to continue.
  8. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    I dont know what scares me most about fog, deer in the road and hearing things you cant see.
  9. HooliKen

Oddometer:
    Especially this time of year in the area I live in. Bow season just started and they love this area because of a pretty much endless supply of food and water.
  10. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:
    Had a good 100 miles of dense fog on a beautiful Sunday morning leaving the UP of MI about a month back. Usually I'm Ok in fog but the wife was on the back of the Ultra Limited which increased the pucker factor by a solid 200%. It didn't help we saw probably a dozen deer along the way.
    Was super happy when we hit Highway 2 and it pretty much lifted.
  11. UrsaMobili

UrsaMobili Canoodian Expat

Oddometer:
    Back on the left coast, on island with no ferry
    Did a ride on the BRP and Skyline Drive this Labor Day Weekend. Lots of rain and fog. The ride however was a blast. No one around except few spots near the big cities.
    Roads were clean and the bike felt planted. Priceless ADV experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last day wasn't promising. Anything above 2000 ft was in fog, often mixed with drizzle to moderate rain. It was easier with the rain. At least my face-shield easily cleaned just with slight rotation of my head. With the fog only, the droplets stayed on forever or until I wiped them out with my glove. :tough

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Farewell storm in NC after leaving BRP heading home. The wind gusts almost brought me down, while waiting for green light at this intersection.:knary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Y'all be safe!
  12. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    For being seen better...I also use BRIGHT red/white LED license bolts, BRIGHT red 8" LED strips on each side of the rear fender, and BRIGHT amber LED marker lights on the front/sides. My Givi topbox has red/white reflective tape all over the sides and rear. I gently weave in my lane as I ride too, to create attention-getting lateral motion.
  14. Lefty23

Lefty23 Trekker

Oddometer:
    These pointing back should get people's attention.
  15. Sergeant Joe

Sergeant Joe Sitrep=Snafu

Oddometer:
    I have to ride to work somtimes from the middle of Tasmania to Hobart at around 5:30am in winter! (one hour ride).
    I ride in ice, snow, rain and hail but the fog..... set of for work one morning got about five K down the road doing about 80km/h in good visability, came through a cutout in a hill and hit a wall of thick fog on the other side! instant fog up of both visor and glasses = whiteout!.
    lost site of the road and the next thing I know is hitting the ground with force!. I had drifted across the oncoming lane and somehow I had let the bike tip over on it's right side!(chrash bars rule:evil) my sholder took most of the impact and still gives me pain to this day.
    damage = broken indicator mirror and pride.
  16. Woland

Woland Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only time I purposefully looked for a truck with its backside full of over-sized rear lights was last year when I hit really dense fog 250km's from home late at night. Fog is brutal and no fun at all.
  17. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did that once back in the early 80s on the way into Tulsa. Thick fog in the Arkansas river valley, so bad I could barely see the fog line on the shoulder or the lights on the back of the truck. I hoped that he was sitting above the fog and could see, because if he'd driven off the cliff, I would have gone off right behind him.

Nova Scotia is another place I've been with thick fog. They have signs posted to run your hazards if you're rolling at less than 45 km/h or so in the fog. I was and did.
  18. taggat

taggat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright so I ripped my visor off of my helmet this morning as it wouldn't stay up so I could see. Its an old worn out helmet.
    Just curious if you guys have found a good non fogging helmet with visor yet?
  19. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Any thing with a pinlock is about the only thing that works.

Shoei may have the most different styles to choose from.
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. taggat

taggat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on, thanks for sharing!