2 falls in 2 hours KLR650 - Video

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Thunder Strike, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Thunder Strike

Thunder Strike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I only fall twice in this three and a half minute video. :cool:
    Of course, that was 2 hours of riding cut down for the actions scenes.

The first fall on the small grass hill was due to me letting off the throttle and therefore loosing what little traction I had. The second fall (the one that hurt) I hit a fence post that was laying in a rut covered in leaves, on the side of a steep down hill.

(I have almost bald gripster tires. I have ordered new MX gear, and will install the other tires before dual sporting again.)

I am okay, and so is the KLR.

Thanks,
    JB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62YvVowcGc&feature=youtu.be
  2. Honkylicious

Honkylicious Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see the bike is okay :lol3
  3. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend °.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.

Oddometer:
    Using youtube's shaky video fix? i couldn't make it more than the 1st 30 secs without getting seasick.
  4. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its amazing how HUGE the difference is between off-roading on ds tires and true off road tires. When I first got my xr it had IRC GP1100's on it.....worst tire I've ever had the pleasure of taking onto the mellowest of dirt....those things were deadly. After installing some honest to god off road knobbies, I climb stuff that alot of folks couldn't crawl up. When you have a front end that actually bites when you turn, and a rear that actually hooks up, off-roading becomes MUCH MUCH easier.....in fact it actually gets kinda fun.
    Street oriented ds tires make real dirt riding a chore, not a joy.....
  5. UNO_RIDER

UNO_RIDER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to make sure your suspension clickers and compression is dialed in correctly. Seems your front end compressed too much (on the second crash) causing the front tire to wash out. I'm not isolating it to suspension only because your tires are not the best. Nevertheless, make sure your suspension is set up for your riding ability, type and weight. It makes all the difference in the world, especially off road riding.

Keep practicing and the rubber side down.
  6. bajadog

bajadog Running around knees bent

Oddometer:
    The first one looked staged.....:D
  7. Thunder Strike

Oddometer:
    To the shaky video comment = I took the Hero 2 back and got the Hero 3 Black Edition so the new videos will be better. :D
    Those videos will come in 2013, and there will be one of the Red River from last month, as soon as I finish cutting it. (for sure the GoPro Hero 2 is shaky!)

To the suspension and tire comments = Working on it now. I got a motorcycle jack this weekend, and I am installing new tubes and tires while I check the suspension and chain.

Thanks for all the comments, and yeah I will try to stay upright.

Happy Holidays!:1drink
  8. Thunder Strike

Oddometer:
    Nice. It wasn't.
    However, I can see where it could look like that. I let up on the throttle at the top of the hill and lost all traction. :(
    I am not good enough to stage falls yet. ;)
  9. 2handedSpey

2handedSpey bunned

Oddometer:
    Buy better mx boots, ASAP!

AlpineStar 10, gearne 12, sidi crossfires etc. your novice riding skills plus a fat pig KLR could really mess up walking for a while.:freaky
  10. Thunder Strike

Oddometer:
    I found my old MX boots that I got in the USAF until my Sidi Adventure Rain Boots show up.
    JB
  11. WilsonGermany

WilsonGermany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I´m glad to see the bike and you is okay...no problem for the klr:D
  12. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    Practice makes perfect - but tires really help. Used to ride with a guy who had Shinko 705's on his KLR, while I had Shinko 700's. The 700 has a more agressive knobby pattern than the 705, and it really showed when we went through the woods and singletrack stuff and mud on two otherwise identical bikes. Now that I have swapped the 700's for K270's, it's even better off road.
  13. godad

godad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I liked the video,is that in the North Texas area?if so I have almost two days worth of riding trails in a 50 mile radius of Fort Worth, if your looking for more trails.
  14. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:

I am in Fort Worth and would love to learn where your trails are.
  15. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    +1 :gerg:y0!
  16. JZed

JZed Have GS will travel.

Oddometer:
    UNO_RIDER is right. One easy thing to do is to change out the fork oil in the front forks. Seems like many of the Gen 1 KLRs did not get the forks properly serviced at the dealer when new. You could be riding on 10 year old fish oil. Check out the KLR650 FAQ pages (google BigCEE KLR650 FAQ)<http: www.bigcee.com="" klr650faq.html="">. Lots of good information on the Gen 1bikes there. In my notes I found a reference that the fork oil level should be checked with the springs out with the forks fully compressed (some of the service manuals have errors on this). The oil level should be measured as 188 -192 mm ( 7.40 - 7.56 in) from the top of the fork tube. The volume of oil will be require about 355 cc (12 oz) per side for an oil change.

Others may chime in.

Good luck. Wearing the gear is a good idea.

BTW I had really good results on my GS using Heidenau K60 tires. Should be great on a KLR650. Good road and off-road performance, and 10,000 miles and still tread left riding 2up on GS. Very good 50 - 50 DS tire.

JZED
    SC
    '86 R80
    '92 R100GS
    '06 KLR650</http:>
  17. DirtReeper

DirtReeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    or head on over to klrworld.com. come hang out with the rest of us KLRistas :evil we'll teach you how to make hardboxes out of plywood :deal