Suzuki TU250 - anyone seen/ride one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by anomad, Dec 10, 2008.

1. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    To lube the chain, I just walk the bike with one hand and spray lube with the other..
  2. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    Yes it is high enough. I am on my 3rd rear tire that's how I did it both times. It works to change the front tire too. The pegs are a good Balance point. Ill get a picture I just don't know how to post pictures. Ill have to work on that.
  3. schnutzy

schnutzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I will have to look more closely.
  4. Sunspark

Sunspark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I'm trying to determine if what I smell is normal or not. On a cold bike in a garage with the engine off, if you sit on it, maybe with a bit of a lean forward, can you smell gas? And that this gas smell gets stronger if you bounce the bike a little up and down on the rear springs? As far as I can tell from testing again today it seems to be coming from the top and not underneath. I am trying to determine how much is normal. Everyone has a different tolerance. I feel it might be emitting more than it should be cold for me but this is not an easy thing for me to test because replacement caps (the TU250X uses a custom vented cap) are so expensive and mine being a 2012 won't be under warranty anymore. I feel that there should not be a venting going on at all when cold but my partner disagrees and says it is the nature of the beast.
  5. MagyarMan

MagyarMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have noticed if I fill all the way up I get the strong gas smell,but not when I fill it to about an inch from the top. There is a seal of sorts on the cap ,but it doesn't seem to be a snug fit. I'm guessing some fuel,a drop or so is getting past the seal and this is enough to produce the smell.
  6. Lacedaemon

Lacedaemon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed a bit of gas smell today, I think it's pretty normal.

Remember that gasoline has a positive vapor pressure even when in a "cold" garage, and the tanks are not sealed.

Another possibility is that if you haven't been riding for a while, you could be smelling "old" gas which is qualitatively different and more offensive to the nose than fresh gas even if the "amount" of smell is normal.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
  7. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not 100% sure but the non cali bikes vent thru the fuel cap.If your bike doesn't have a charcoal canister hid somewhere then it probably has a vented cap.
  8. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    No TU's have the evap system, and were not sold in California.
  9. BenDanger

BenDanger Ben

Oddometer:
    Ryan- The flat scissor jacks are a slam dunk Chock the front wheel, strap the triple tree down on both sides, rock and roll. It cranks up and down with a big socket wrench.
  10. Sunspark

Sunspark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses guys. It's difficult when I have no frame of reference on this due to inexperience. I guess I will have to compare perhaps starting with a ruler to see how tall it "sits" as there appears to be a fair bit of up and down movement possible on mine. From experience with an electronic device it is possible all the time for something plastic in manufacturing to be off by a fraction of a mm and in the case of the plastic battery door lid I am thinking of, it was always sliding off and never staying tightly attached. Managed to get a door from a later production run and it slid and snapped into place tightly and never fell off again and this was a door that needed to be opened once a day so it wasn't something that was easy to ignore.
  11. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb I did not know that.So then it's probably just fuel vapor escaping through the cap vent.
  12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    The caps have a complex valving system in them to hold pressure up to a point, but not allow vacuum to build up.
    The cap seal and the tank surface come into play though.
    Shake the bike and the cap will vent...
  13. Jon

Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I finally found a used one within my price range and it followed me home today. My new Tux had been a bit neglected but seems like a great little bike and looks and runs almost as good as new with just a little work. I took about a 50 mile ride and it sure is a nice little bike. I do feel a bit cramped and the stock seat hits my tailbone kind of funny (5'10" with a 31" inseam) so. If anyone has a gel seat they want to get rid of let me know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. RyanDonahue

RyanDonahue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ben, thanks for the reply. I must be a bit thick (not much of a surprise) but I can't exactly visualize what you're talking about here. If you get a chance sometime, could you snap a picture of this setup so I have a better idea?
  15. AdamFL

AdamFL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get one for my wife, they seem tough to come by. If anyone in FL wants to unload one, hit me up.
  16. jimmr

jimmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm selling a gel seat here, it comes with a few extras:rofl.
  17. Jon

Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool I'll take the 16T sprocket also! :evil Good luck with your sale in all seriousness though and if you decide to part it out let me know.
  18. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    I was in need of new tires pretty bad I had 27k on the original front which still had some tread left but it wore kinda weird the outside wore more than the inside. Normally that's from low air pressure but I kept it at 32psi so I don't know. But I put some shinko 244s on front and rear. its a dual sport tire. I knew going into it it would kill top speed an mpg. I got about 1000 miles on them now and just got back from a 150 mile morning ride through some windy mountains. Since this gets brought up sometimes on here, I figure I would do a little review. So far mpg went down from about 70 mpg to a pretty constant 60 to 62 mpg. Handling in the mountains was great. Top speed is actually about the same. The new front is slightly bigger so I'm assuming my speedo is a little closer other wise top speed is down about 5mph. I got it to 80 on a flat. I went on a very short run down a dirt road which turned to sand and it did do better than before but the suspension still sucks. Bottom line I like them I just don't think I do enough dirt to justify the mpg loss. But I'll leave them on till they are wore out and look for something else. I had the shinko 712 on before in the rear and I put 18k on it. Granted it needed replaced at about 16k but it doesn't rain here and I have a jeep when I need it.
  19. Hyme91

Hyme91 New Guy

Oddometer:
    Selling my TU here. Comes with the gel seat.
  20. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm selling my wife's. It's listed on this site in the flea market/for sale section.