Free trip cross country...in April

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liceyscrub, Apr 27, 2011.

1. liceyscrub

liceyscrub ADV rider(mostly solo)

Oddometer:
    So I posted a thread in the trip planning http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15521064 a few weeks ago asking advice on a offer I had from a friend of my dads. This guy went cross country last summer with his wife on his 09 Harley ultra glide, and when he got to Virginia, his wife got sick. The weather was getting bad and his vision was as well, so he left it there and headed back to Washington. My dad mentioned this to me and I was going to be in that are anyway for a wedding so I gave the guy a call. He really wanted his bike back in Washington so he offered to pay my way and give me a little extra for my time.

Thanks to the guys in trip planning for the advice on pulling a trailer.
    Normally, you would just ship the bike, but this bike had a trailer so it would not ship. I had never ridden a Hog or any bike with a trailer, but thought that I would give it a try.
    [​IMG]
    Here I am about 4 miles into the ride stopping to fill up and really check the bike out. I am also planning on going to Shenandoah National Park, where I had not been before.

[​IMG]
    I was there the day after the big tornados and there must have been a lot of rain there, because there was a lot of water on the road. Shenandoah was a great ride, but I bet it is even better when there are leaves on the trees.

[​IMG]
    There was so many great roads in this part of the country, but with my wife due in 4 weeks and time ticking, this trip was going to be a fast one.
    [​IMG]
    The first night I got a hotel and they were very cool to let me park my bike under the overhang[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Time to refuel.

Day 2
    The next morning I drove around the gorge area on my way to Lafayette IN.
    [​IMG]
    Here is one of the only pics with me in it.
    [​IMG]
    One other one
    [​IMG]
    There was a great overlook of the Gorge
    [​IMG]
    Cool Dam along the way.
    [​IMG]
    You know your in the South when you see A Sunoco. Nascar fuel in a Harley can't be a bad thing.
    [​IMG]
    Nice weather and another State.
    [​IMG]
    Out of one and into another.

Arrived safe in Indiana and everything going great so far.

to be continued.....
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :thumb

:lurk
  3. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    surely you tried out the camper one night?
  4. liceyscrub

Oddometer:
    I spent night 2 at my sister in laws with her family and had a great time. For the first two days of riding I have had good weather, but that was about to change. I figured taking a trip in April had some risks involved when you talk about the weather, but you can never manage that completely and sometimes you just got to go.
    [​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Niece and other one in the background. I was only here for one night and did not get to spend a ton of time with them.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=214571765993926196090.0004a1fd0a3157f2d838b&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&ll=41.648288,-88.467407&spn=2.774722,6.745605&z=8

Day 3 began with rain and 40 degrees…It also ended with the same. Oh ya, and more of the same in the middle as well, mixed with sleet instead of rain for a change. Chicago looked a bit sketchy and although I had plans to meet a friend for lunch up there I really was not excited about driving in traffic in bad weather, so across IL I drove towards Bloomington. My final destination for the day was Thomson Il to a friend’s house. I grew up in Fulton Il and still know a few people back there although it has been about 12 years since I have been back.
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    This sign was actually going out of IL because for some reason I did not see one on the way in, but you get the idea.

After a stop to pick up some rain pants I was off. I stopped at a Casey’s for gas and thought that I would go across the street to a antique shop to browse and warm up. Warming up my wet feet was much needed.
    After a few more miles and more rain I stopped at a McDonalds to check email and warm up…again.<o:p></o:p>
    Finally I arrived in Fulton. Fulton is a town that is predominantly Dutch and built the only authentic windmill in the US. As a kid I participated in the Dutch Days festival dancing and scrubbing the streets. I know that this is not the most manly thing, but traditions can be that way sometime and with a last name like De Jong I really had no choice.[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Finally arrived in Thomson and after a bit of Pizza and conversation with friends I was ready for bed
    [​IMG]
    Day 4
    [​IMG]
    Galena is a tourist town, but kind of cool.
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    Lots of water this time of year On the Mississippi.

Starting out today the roads are dry and I head north towards Galena and then taking Hwy 20 across Iowa with the final destination being Sioux Center to stay with a College buddy there. Sioux Center is yet another predominantly Dutch town and area…funny how we stick together. I swear we are not a cult.<o:p></o:p>
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=214571765993926196090.0004a1fd344fdad769732&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&z=8<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>The The day was cold with the high about 42(happened right at the end of the ride) and there was a lot of snow along the way, but it was only along the road and not on the road. Anytime the road is clear is a good day for riding regardless of the temperature.
    I did find some heated gear in the trailer and wow does that make a difference. Heated gloves and jacket was a life saver and really allowed me to go long periods of time without having to stop to warm up.
    [​IMG]
    Heated gear was needed.[​IMG]
    Storm Lake....better name would be Frozen Lake.
    [​IMG]
    Finally made it to my Alma Mater.

TBC...

5. BK215

BK215 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics!:lurk
  6. msmith677

msmith677 n00b

Oddometer:
    Definately some good pics here. Thanks for sharing!
  7. liceyscrub

Oddometer:
    Day 5
    Sooo....where was I. Well Leaving Iowa I hit rain for about the first three hours into South Dakota. Of course there was also the 30mph cross wind as anyone who has been through SD can attest to.

[​IMG]
    After the four to five hours of driving the weather began to clear and then out of nowhere it started to warm and sun just as I hit the badlands. With the bad weather I had actually thought of passing it up and just getting to my destinations, but with the 55-60 degree warmup and the sun I thought I would drive through. It is also nice to take the helmet off for a while and drive around…something I do not do often, but it is nice once in a while. From the badlands I was off to see how far I could get into Montana. Driving through Belle Fourche and then across into Montanta.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Hmmm...what to choose what to choose. The harley really did not like anything under 91 octane and that could be because it was pulling a trailer, but I really could tell a big difference. But, since it was not mine I also did not want to put any ethanol in it if I could help it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sweet badlands.
    [​IMG]
    More awesomeness.
    [​IMG]
    Even just grass is cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In Montana I passed Dull Knife College. I actually spent two days writing a paper here once when I was in college, but that is a long story we need not go into.

I ended up making ti to Billings and getting a hotel. 800 miles in about 14 hours. If I had planeed it out better I could have gone the 1000, but it was about 8pm and I don't like to ride in the dark.

Day 6

Woke up to snow outside and very cold and windy. Debabted if I could make it over the pass and finally the reports changed to dry conditions and I head out. I only plan to make it to Bozeman where I got a college buddy. Made it there and stopped at the harley dealer for some coffee and asked where a massage place is. Man was that nice.
    [​IMG]
    The pass was not that bad.

[​IMG]
    Saw this guys at the end of the day...too many beer choices.

Not a lot of pictures this day.

Day 7
    with the forecast for today to be much better I was excieted (also I get to see my woman).

It was butt cold when I woke up though, but with heated gear it was not that bad. I just had to get the ice off the bike and it did not want to start.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hope this thing is off by a bit....I am pretty sure it was.

[​IMG]

Look at those mountains[​IMG]
    Those hand warmers on the bike work really well
    [​IMG]
    almost there.
    [​IMG]
    Lake Cour D alene
    [​IMG]
    Finally home in Greenacres. The weather was the nicest of the whole trip and it made me want to go out and ride all day.
    [​IMG]
    All in all a fun trip. 3 days fo good weather and 4 of bad, but riding a bike is always better than being at work....always.:lol3
  8. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't this really the essence of a rider? Combining a road trip with a family favor. And a nice ride report to boot.

THIS is how it's done.

Kudos, my brother.:thumbup
  9. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    Very cool. How did that thing handle with the big trailer back behind it?
  10. liceyscrub

Oddometer:
    Hauling the trailer was easier than I thought, but I did have to change the weight distribution the first day or two to get the right ratios. After the distribution was right it would pull fine at 80mph as long as there was only minimal wind....and the bike could keep that speed. The Harley was fine, but did not have the power I thought it would and climbing hills was a challenge requiring constant downshifting to even go 60. My GS would have pullled it better I think, but that is just a guess.
  11. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    This one has all the right elements of a great RR, doing a family friend a solid and taking a ride on a unknown bike with questionable weather as a factor. Nice two thumbs up!
  12. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    I'm glad we were able to push you over the edge, and you decided to take that trip. It's just another story for the grandkids...
  13. Tucson Jim

Tucson Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a stud. Well done.
  14. racer 07

racer 07 Lock & Load

Oddometer:
    Well done!!!!