Foot dislocation (Lisfranc Displacement)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by blaster11, Sep 29, 2012.

1. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    I believe it would have, and every piece of equipment seems to be some type of compromise...meaning that the boot with a steel shank may be uncomfortable to walk in except for short distances. Looking at other sole options for the next set of boots.
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    This boot has PLENTY of sole support...alas, no toe coverage...

[​IMG]
  3. swedishfishy

swedishfishy Adventurer

Oddometer:

for street riding i have A* SMX+ boots, seem to offer a lot of protection and i believe they have a steel shank. Bought em after a couple guys at work 'had to lay her down' and had some bad ankle injuries. Probably wearing some sprerry topsiders haha.

http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/footwear/racingsport/s-mx-plus/
    well i thought they had a steel shank. maybe i am mistaken.
  4. blaster11

Oddometer:
    All my boots I have right now are more Adventure rider style rather than a street boot or MX boot. The problem is that in the past year we have been doing a bit tougher trails and single track so my boot requirements have changed but my gear has not caught up.
    I am looking at these
    http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-crossfire-srs-boots
    or these right now
    http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-crossfire-ta-boots

Yep, they are expensive but since my wife was able to go online and see the insurance claims and they are over $10K right now...pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.
  5. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blaster11
    Awesome pics. Ice becomes your best friend. That long incision is going to bother you, mildly, for years until the nerves reconnect. Sounds like you have a good surgeon though with checking for infection before it's too late. Conservative is almost always good with Docs.
  6. blaster11

Oddometer:
    It took a lot to get those pictures but if it helps others out what the Hell. :lol3
    Joints4Sale, riding buddy/friend, is in the joints business so he has been around many of the surgeons and hospitals and made the recommendation, I am very happy he did and things are moving forward...now I just need to do my part and not screw up all the hard work which has gone in so far. I am going to try and keep this updated so folks can see and understand what it takes to come back from an injury like this.
  7. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although your injury is not exactly an ankle fracture, you might find this thread useful:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742690&highlight=ankle+fracture

Hope you heal up well! (from a fellow member of the Exclusive Titanium Club :D)
  8. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Broke the M5 of left foot. The bone crushed, went through the top of foot and retracted to line up. Both ends looked like a piece of wood hammered to splinter. Lots of infection prevention and testing w/ surgery. Use of same frankenstein boot for 6 weeks.
    Had a SIDI disco boot as well. Don't know how much injury could have been prevented. I think an angled rock passed over the top outside of the foot and compressed the bone to my footpeg. It hurt, but we kept riding. The one bone you can break and not know it's broken. We had 5 foot injuries on that ride.
    Won't be out of the ortho boot til we pick a new dictator in November. SIDI's will stay. Looking at fastway pegs for more stability, and hammerhead shifter for a longer and bit higher location.
    Anything to keep feet tucked in tight and flat. Down or pointed out is asking for trouble on the goat trail we ride.

KTM 450 EXC
  9. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Thanks for for thoughts, ideas, and the link as well!

My foot feels a little better every day...no major breakthroughs or anything but a bit better. A bit of a scare today, my good foot slipped out from under me and I put some weight on the bad foot to try and catch myself, I quickly realized that was a bad move and retracted it and just crashed to the floor...better move. I quickly got back up and back to the bed where pain pills were quickly taken, wife is not very happy with my escapades. I still have 3 toes which are a bit numb and don't want to move much. Hopefully its just from all the trauma, swelling, and it will just take a bit longer for that to clear up.

I can't say I understand the timeline right now other than stitches will most likely come out on Tuesday and at the 12 week point the screws will come out. So I would like to understand at what point can I drive, put weight on it, when can I wear regular shoes, and the most important point when can I ride a motorcycle. Lots of questions with no answers.
    ObiJohn likes this.
  10. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    I'll investigate on Monday and try to get some answers for you.
  11. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Thanks...did you happen to find out anything on the screw removal?
  12. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    Not yet.
  13. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    :lol3 similar moment myself after shattering the lower leg years ago. i got the tibial nail instead of a cast so started cycling with one leg for exercise. one day i came to a stop balanced the wrong way, then realized i couldn't stick the bad leg out. just slowly crashed over in front of a pile of spectators who must have thought i was pissed. :D

hope you heal fast, and let us know what you come up with for your next boots. the DR650 crushed my foot a while back and broke four metatarsals. these were heavy duty oxtar mx boots but no steel shank in the sole, so still wondering if that might have helped? will definitely look into it when they are due for replacement....
  14. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Got my stitches out tonight! :clap I also got answers to my questions and a timeline for things and I liked many of his answers. I will post that up tomorrow since I am a little beat from not having my leg elevated for the past 7 hours or so.
  15. blaster11

Oddometer:
    So here is the plan ahead the Doctor set up.
    -4 weeks from now I can start putting weight on it, (40Lbs) as tolerated. Then every 2 days after that I can add an additional 20Lbs as tolerated.
    -Week of 12 November I go back in for a check up.
    -Week of 17 December I go back to get the screws removed.
    Then shortly after the screws are removed, end of late Dec/first part of Jan, I will move to a different boot, less rigid for several weeks. Then back to normal shoes. :clap
    It looks like the biggest problem will be building the strength back up in my leg after no use for so many months. My calf muscles in that leg are already atrophied and only going to get worse. I was originally scheduled for a 2 day Rawhyde training class in March but the Doc didn't feel that the leg would be strong enough to take the abuse and if I had any setbacks I would most likely miss the class. So with that said I am going to reschedule sometime later next year so I don't lose my $.
    Doing a little better every day and the pain continues to decrease as well.
  16. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeez man. That looks really painful. Interesting notes about the boots. I just purchased a pair of those boots about 2 weeks ago. I returned them the following day because they were WAY too stiff. I am not an MX rider but have been doing a bit more adventuring lately. My normal ride is a 37 miles commute and I do that every day. I kept thinking I wanted something that could handle a bit more off-road and selected the Sidi Adventure Rain because it clearly offered more protection than the BMW Santiago.

I rode home with them and realized I had made a huge mistake. The sole and ankle were so stiff that I couldn't downshift without lifting my foot off the peg unless I was standing on the pegs. Walking even short distances to watch my daughter's softball game was uncomfortable. They were too bulky to wear in the house at all. In short, they were too far to the protection side for my use.

I exchanged them for the Santiagos and I couldn't be happier. They are not as stiff nor do they offer as much protection as the Sidis but they can pass for regular boots when off the bike. They do offer a lot better protection than the BMW All-Around that I replaced. I recognize the compormise and will live within those confines.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I have a hard time believing those boots created this kind of break. If you were bent back that hard, something was going to have to give. If it wasn't your toes, it would have been your knee with anything stiffer than those. Something was going to break. I'm actually surprised the boot gave way at your toes based on my experience with them. Which brings up another question... were they too big? If they fit snug and were properly adjusted, I just don't see how they were able to bend back that far. I've been wrong before thouth... :freaky
  17. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I probably have 40K miles on those boots and that is the weak point...exactly where the injury is. I have walked all over Hell's half acre and never found the boots uncomfortable but then again I have worn boots most every day of my life. I love the ankle protection and shin protection but obviously the sole stiffness is not there to stop this type of injury. Boots were sized properly. With enough force anything can be accomplished. :D I don't believe the boots caused the injury...but I do believe there are better boots for the type of riding I was doing that day. I have a second pair of Adventure Rains and I will continue to use them because they are good boots for 85 to 90% of my riding situations. But the other 10 to 15% of the time will require a different boot, most likely a MX boot.
  18. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Think you'll be able to wear the same size on the left & right when all is said & done? Seems like it's possible your injury could result in a permanently larger foot. Very glad to hear the improvement continues; that looked like a nasty set of breaks & a helluva way to bend your foot!
  19. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Unknown for sure but my foot looks pretty normal at this point, and since all the parts were put back in their original location I am betting nothing will change.
  20. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    While insurance will only cover crutches, this knee scooter has really enhanced his mobility. It also ensures that he doesn't bang his foot inadvertantly trying to catch himself. You can either rent or buy them at many places.

[​IMG]

It also gives him that freedom of wind in his hair as he goes honking out of control down the parking garage ramps :evil

On another note, found some more views of th x-rays...I haden't realized that the bones were also shifted in the "z" axis:

[​IMG]