Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. jestragon

jestragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Till recently W & Central Africa, now Holland
    My Hennessy sees a lot of use, when I'm overnighting in villages, so that I don't have to take someone's bed, and also as a permanent fixture now that I've got my research camp sorted:
    [​IMG]
    . by jestragon, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    ENO double nest + atlas straps
    Hennessy Hexfly

Camped out the night before an enduro last weekend.

[​IMG]
  3. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is my setup:
    [​IMG]
    - War Bonnet Blackbird with whoopie sling suspension
    - War Bonnet travel sock - great addition to provide some isolation/insulation from the wind and rain
    - Kelty tarp
    - I also used a Thermarest BaseCamp matress to provide some extra insulation (got down to 41F at night) and give me a bit more wiggle room and flatter sleeping surface.
  5. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been tweaking my set-up and will be giving it a go in October at the Old School rally in Tellico Plains. Temps are likely to drop into the high 20s to low 30s if past rallies are any indication, so I hope it works. Here's the set up:

Hammock: Tenth Wonder Green Hornet. Jungle hammock style with double layer bottom to hold a sleeping pad for insulation. I use 1" straps with cinch buckles for suspension. I also bought a DD python sleeve that makes set-up and break down much easier.

Sleeping pad: Exped 9dlx non insulated.

Sleeping bag: Big Agnes Hog Park 20* (Still not sure if I'll use the sleeping pad in the sleeve on the bag, or between the layers.)

Tarp: Wilderness Logics Old Man Winter with integrated doors and an internal pole option. Opens up the interior. I just sent it in to Marty and he put velcro on the doors to make closure much easier and more secure/wind proof. I also bought a bishop bag (opens on both ends) from WL as well. Makes breakdown much easier.

I've used a similar set-up and the only issues I had were:

Decender rings with webbing as suspension, I forgot to put a half hitch to secure the line and one end dropped rather quickly in the middle of the night...not fun. At least it was the foot end...:lol3

Also, my older exped air mattress had an air leak on one of my trips and a couple of times each night I had to blow a few breaths in to eliminate the cold spots where I had completely lost any insulation.

I will probably get a Black Bird and over/under quilts over the next year, but have been pretty impressed with the Hornet so far.

[​IMG]
  6. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have any additional photos/details of the velcro you had installed?
  7. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
  8. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's everyone's full coverage fly with built in doors? My fly is small for backpacking but sometimes let's rain around the edges when it is windy. I need something with full protection. I have a WBBB.
  9. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    This is my WL with the half doors/velcro closures I put on.

[​IMG]
  10. BgDadddy

BgDadddy Nurse Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I have a SuperFly tarp from Warbonnet. Love it!

(I've gotten better at setting it up since this pic - lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Law Dawg (ret)

Law Dawg (ret) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an Arrowhead Equipment Toxaway tarp...HERE. Thinking about sending it to 2QZQ for a sew on door mod...HERE.
  12. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:

Use a similar tarp from WL and they just came out with a slick door kit that is removable. Been through a couple 3-5" rainstorms under it and it works great. I like the airflow, so I only use them on one end when it is storming. But it is also one less thing to tie out, or have flapping against the side when not needed. Worth looking at before you have it permanent. Winter weather, I would go with something like the superfly...definitely makes it warmer.
  13. Law Dawg (ret)

Oddometer:
    The 2QZQ mod has the ability to tie the doors back but they do offer the removable Griz Beak that will work on just about any tarp. Makes for a cleaner more simple system IMO. As to the Superfly I am leaning toward getting an 11' WBBB XLC. The Superfly is 11' long and the Toxaway is 12'...that and I already own the Toxaway.
  14. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
  15. speedysheep

speedysheep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My WBBB on the right and my brother's Hennessey on the left, at the newly reopened Two Wheels of Suches. I was at the limit of my straps, but it worked. Slept there three nights while we rode the local forest roads.
  16. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's like that area was made for hangin.:clap
  17. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Henessey is having a blowout sale on some of their hammocks and stuff during the month of October. Go check it out for some great deals.

Just a heads up.
  18. wncrider

wncrider nOOb in post count only

Oddometer:
    For you experienced hammock hangers, I have some questions. I am having trouble sleeping camping due to an aging body and shoulder pain. As a side sleeper, I am awakened multiple times during the night for the pain. Even the nice Exped mattress helped only marginally. No surprise, since I also have trouble sleeping on the nice pillowtop mattress at home!

Anyone with shoulder pain gotten any relief in the hammock? I think I can retrain myself to sleep on my back if need be.

So I am thinking of trying this hanging thing. Read a lot of this thread and over a the hammock forum site and think I am heading toward trying this setup:

Warbonnet Blackbird double (to use with the Exped), Superfly tarp (extra storm and cold weather protection and privacy).

A smaller tarp for backpacking usage can be added later and I have a Kelty tarp I carry now in addition to the tent for setting over picnic tables, etc.

For now, I want to use the pad instead of the underquilt since I have it and can use it on the ground if the need arises. And my Marmot bag instead of top quilt. I am sure if I like it, the hammock will be farkled like the bike later! :D
  19. Law Dawg (ret)

Oddometer:
    I have a Titanium plated collar bone (thanks to a cell phone using tailgating cager) on my sleep side. At home the Sleep # helps...at camp I found a WBBB 1.1 dbl worked much better than my 1.7 dbl. I am 6-2/275ish and that puts the 1.1 dbl right at my WB recommended max weight rating. Some swear by 1.7 dbl for a more firm bed but my experience was the thinner was a considerable improvement in side and general sleeping comfort. So get what is as close as possible to the recommended for your weight would be my suggestion.

I'm scheming on the WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl right now for the extra length, better view, and possible softer lay. As to a pad, I'd think that it would stiffen your hammock to the point where you would be right back in the same side sleeping boat. Oh and go ahead and spoil yourself with a nice UQ...pads are of the Devil anyway. :lobby
  20. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I used to be a side sleeper, but found it easy to transition to back as you don't lay perfectly flat in any gathered end hammock. Think of a recliner that's almost flat. I have back and hip issues and a little in the shoulder and neck too and find I'm way more comfortable in a hammock than even my $2k mattress on my bed.

It would be really nice if you could try some hammocks at an event. I know Land will be at Notarally this weekend, you might pm him. I know he's hanging and there will probably be lots more there. There are also Hammock Forums meetups all the time.

I had a WBBB and while it's really nicely made and comfortable, ultimately I like my DIY hammocks better, but many swear by them. BTW, if you find you can't get used to side sleeping you might consider a bridge, like the WBRR.

I also have to say that while pads are okay, an underquilt makes a world of difference. Pads move around if you do. UQ's stay put.

Good luck!