New Brewery!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by levain, Jan 19, 2009.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Putting the finishing touches on finally moving my brewing to the basement. I can't explain how psyched I am!

[​IMG]
  2. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome :1drink
  3. NotSafe

NotSafe I Flied?

Oddometer:
    Hot dam.. I myself am a home brewer, I love making my own beer and wine, much cheaper and you can make what you want.. Ive got a metal from a DC Home brewers Comp for Stout's for my Coffee Creame Stout, the guy that tought me wone grand cfhampion in 07 for his IPA.. One time we decided to make a brew that involved one ingrediant that you would never imagine, I made a stout with Count Chocola cereal, came out great.. A friend made a IPA with Mt Dew, Awsome, and my roomate made an ale with somehting but cant rememeber what he used.. One day Ill get my liecence and start a Cafe with home brew, I love cooking also
  4. levain

Oddometer:
    thanks. I'm pretty psyched. Most of my brewing is english styles. I do a fair amount of cask conditioning, in real casks, and, belgian ales. Looking forward to not having to deal with frozen hoses anymore in my garage!:clap
  5. Blane

Blane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a nice set up. :slurp

I brew 5-10 gallon batches on a cobbled together RIMS system and have been toying with the idea of redoing my brewery. It looks like you're tapped in for natural gas. What do you do for temperature control?

I like that conical fermenter. If you ever feel a need to get rid of it, I could take it off your hands.
  6. jdonly1

jdonly1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice set up ya got there mate
  7. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see no pics, but I started home brewing about a year or so ago and have maybe 8-10 batches (extract kits for now) and really enjoy. Even got a friend/ADV into it, so we tend to have brew nights, etc. Great hobby and good luck.

[​IMG]
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    Here's my Brew Magic RIMS system. Works very well
    [​IMG]

I am tapped into natural gas, but, I don't have the rig converted yet. I've been running propane in the garage...

In this picture, you can see the freezer that I use for temp. control. It plugs into a controller that I can also plug a heat source into. It'll basically do 33-85, and, everything in between. I would ferment at 67F when it's below freezing in the garage with this setup. Heat source is just a 150W light bulb.
    [​IMG]

Oh, the conical isn't for sale, but, I do have a 15gal. plastic mini brew conical I'd sell. Shipping would be a bitch, cos, it's so big with the stand. Let me know if you're interested.
  9. Lochlyn_Deckard

Lochlyn_Deckard Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer:
    Very Cool Jim. :D

Will you beer serving your Official Adventure Rider Beer in Official Adventure Rider Beer Steins. GB, you listening!? :lol3
  10. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    Nice set up. Ever try a counterflow wort chiller? I see you have an immersion type in the brew keg.

I had a keg like that converted for my brew kettle, really works well. :clap
  11. levain

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have tried counterflows. I'm doing the jamil whirlpool now with the immersion and a pump. Works great!
  12. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    I have a counterflow, and it chills instantly, although the couple of batches I've done with it just weren't of the same quality as with my old immersion. Dunno if it's that, but it's the only thing I'd changed.

The immersion is simpler and easier to use anyway, and doesn't take that long to cool.
  13. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Jim, can I leave in your garage? I will guard your beer, I promise :rofl
  14. levain

Oddometer:
    Could have something to do with all the cold break you're bringing into your fermenter now. Before, you were leaving it in the kettle. If you're making really hoppy beers, you lose lots of hop flavor through a counterflow if you're hopping towards the end of the boil. Most of the big guys that are making big hoppy beers are using a whirlpool or hop back for that reason. Just a couple thoughts. I tell you what, this whirlpool chilling method rocks. Love it.
    Here's a link
    http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    Will trade beer for Revit gear!:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky
  16. Powerslave

Powerslave n00by tires that would be

Oddometer:
    Nice setup - makes me thirsty. I have a similar setup - although not is use for some time.........So are you now looking at buying SS 55 gallon wine barrels and converting them next.....that's the stage I was at.....homebrewing is good for the soul....enjoy!:beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :dutch :dutch :dutch :dutch :dutch :dutch :hair:fight :fight :fight :fight :thwak :thwak :thwak :bash :bash :bash

:puke1 :puke1
  17. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Looking good!

I brew outside (for now) in Montana, and wintertime brews are a challenge. I'd like to move inside too. Really, the hood setup is the one thing I don't have figured out yet.

What kind of exhaust system are you using?
  18. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Mmmmm ... can you send me some product samples? :evil :freaky

D.

19. levain

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, this will allow me to brew more often, and, then, maybe:lol3
  20. levain

Oddometer:
    I do a fair amount of business with a restaurant supply co. that does custom hoods. they built it for me. You can find used hoods at restaurant supply shops. The fan is one they recommended. It is on top of the hood, and, blows out, so, all I have outside my house is some smallish louvers.