Need some suggestions for light weight summer glove?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by leeinmemphis, Mar 25, 2012.

1. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,

Today I spent the morning cleaning up my motoport gear getting it ready for the spring/summer. I for the life of me cannot find my summer gloves and it is driving me crazy!!!! :cry I had a pair of Held touring gloves and cannot locate them so I guess I'm going to need a new pair for the hot weather. I have winter/cool weather riding covered but need something for the 100+ degrees and 100% humidity we usually carry for the summers. They don't have to be waterproof but would prefer something that would at least breath a little.
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I like my BMW Airflow.

[​IMG]
  3. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
  4. gfloyd2002

gfloyd2002 Title Free Since '12

Oddometer:
    I live and ride in the tropics where heat and humidity are constant companions, so summer gloves are actually year round gear for me. After trying several options unsuccessfully due to poor protective qualities, I am very happily settled on the Held Air Stream gloves. Held quality, SuperFabric panels on outside of pinkie and on lower palm, kevlar lined and they breathe very well. Great safety features, so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing protection at all in these gloves. Kangaroo leather is strong but really lightweight, too, so you are cooler and get a good feel on the grips without sacrificing protection. They have little vents in between the fingers that work really will to push air in, as shown in photo below.

[​IMG]
  5. tsperez

tsperez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went from Tourmaster GX Air to Held Summer gloves. The TM are not bad for the price but the Held are a notch up. My brother says his BMW Airflow gloves are the best he's had. Reviews are in the blog listed below.

tsp
    Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com
  6. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    deerskin or elk skin, cooler when it's warm, warmer when it's cool. but I'm just an old airhead guy, so WTF do I know.
  7. precarious

precarious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on BMW Airflow. They just work. Very comfortable.
  8. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
  9. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    These are some of the breeziest gloves I've owned that offered real protection. Anything is going to be "warm" at over 80°F.
  10. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    I'm going to give these a try and see how they fare as summer approaches. Spidi Race-Vent gloves

[​IMG]
  11. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go for the BMW Airflow gloves. They're expensive, but they're great. I've been wearing the same pair for four years. I've repaired them with "speed sew" a few times when the stitching came out and it worked great!
  12. P 0 P E Y E

P 0 P E Y E Bald rider

Oddometer:
    For street riding in summer, I like a pair of non lined simple leather gloves.

I carry a bunch of gloves and rain gear. Got cold once in a distance ride. Now loaded for bear on street
  13. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Make sure you get back to us with a report, I need gloves now and have been looking at the spidi's...

Thanks in ADVance....
  14. precarious

Oddometer:
    My BMW Airflows still keep me cool at 100! I'm not a BMW preacher (I ride a Strom), I'm just offering my experience. I've had some hot days and some surprisingly cold days with the Airflows; they just seem to work no matter what.

I'm sure the Helds are great and the Rev'Its are effective; I chose the BMW option, and they work.

I like the carbon knuckles of the Rev'It. I don't like the padded knuckle of the BMW Airflow. Fortunately, I haven't had to test them in a crash, but I would trust my hands to something hard rather than something soft.

As another option, I ran Komodo gloves, last year. Comfy, cool, and lots of protection.
  15. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    I love these gloves...want to get some Held winter gloves now.
  16. theboxers

theboxers Getting Out There

Oddometer:
    I am on my second pair of these. First pair were grey, now have the black. No real temp difference between the two colours.

I find them very comfortable. They give good feel and conform to the hand very quickly. They are my default gloves. I only change when I am in a serious downpour or the temp drops below 7 C or 45 F (with the heated grips on and liners sometimes a lot lower).
  17. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm on the fence. After doing some reading I'm down to two different pair of gloves. I'm set on Held because I have used their products in the past and I like their gear. I'm between ordering a set of their air stream gloves(which Revzilla has in stock) or the new glove that Held is getting ready to introduce: Held Air and Dry gloves. The a and d gloves have a goretex pocket in it so you can use them as perforated gloves or rain gloves/cooler weather. They are about twice the cost but sounds like a better choice for only carrying one pair of gloves. They aren't available yet but I sent an email asking when they expect to receive them.
  18. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    hmm sounds interesting and could be a perfect year round glove for California. But what do you mean by Gortex pocket?

Also, twice the price?? Really? so $360? If so, that's a little nuts if you ask me.
  19. precarious

Oddometer:
    I would suggest carrying two pairs. If it's waterproof, it's not going to breath well. Case in point: I love my 'Stich, but, on hot, dry days, I don the Teiz Mojave every time. Goretex is amazing stuff, but it does not breathe as well as they say. If it's hot, and you want to be protected, let the air flow!

It depends on what you want. If you want something comfortable up to 100 degrees, get a purpose-built hot-weather glove. Gloves fit under the seat of anything, or in any tankbag, or pannier, or topcase, or in the 'Stich glove pocket. Gloves are easy. Have fun accessorizing!
  20. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Watch the RevZilla movie on the Held Air and Dry gloves and you understand what they mean.

The "GoreTex pocket" is what I would describe as a "two entrance glove". You slide your hand into a waterproof GoreTex inner liner, or, through the "second entrance" you slide into the raw perforated leather glove. The liner will sit on top of your hand (still keeping that warm, so it's to be seen how well this works), but the palm with have lots and lots of breathability as there plain is no liner restricting the flow.

So, what you say is right but as said: watch the RevZilla movie, it explains it pretty well.

I use BMW Airflow gloves and BMW Pro Summer GoreTex gloves and generally have both with me when riding. If the Held concept work, I could trim that down to a single pair, this would help me traveling light but it's also a loss in redundancy. And no, I found that no glove is a "four season glove". Absolutely no way if you are traveling longer distances. The Held might make it to three-season and "four season short commute" but on trips I carry a second pair anyways.