2009 Yamaha Tmax 500!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rs-mn, Jun 6, 2008.

1. rs-mn

rs-mn Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Joel mark

Joel mark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bad news is the price $7999 for the blue, $8099 for the Yellow.

I have wanted one of these since last year when they came out in the UK.

I was figuring they were going to be in the high $6k range or right at $7k tops, just by what the Burgman and the Silverwing are priced at, but $8grand I don't know.

I am dissappointed that the turn signals in the front are not integated in the body like they are in the UK, and like on the Majesty. I am going to have to see one in person first, and possibly ride one before I make up my mind.

I see they also dropped the Morphus, and brought a new Zuma 125 thats cool.

I hate it when they finnaly bring something to the states that we want and price it to high. A new Burgman 650 is $7899 for 150 more CC.

The Bugman is a nice scoot, I owned a 2006 650 for about 8 months rode it almost 2000 miles. I just wasnt ready for it I guess.

Thats why I want the new TMAX, a cross between a bike and a scoot.

We will see, Joel.
  3. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    Well you can thank the US DOT for that one. I don't really blame Yamaha for not wanting to redesign the front end to meet the silly headlight-turn signal separation distance requirements solely for the US market.
  4. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would appear that Yamaha view their products as "exclusive" (see new VMax) and price accordingly. Then their customers take a hosing when the deals start due to lack of sales.
  5. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Zuma 125 looks good to me. I just bought a used Vino 125 and am enjoying riding it; I could see picking up the bigger Zuma in a couple of years. For local riding, the 125cc size seems like kind of a sweet spot -- more get up and go than the 50cc scooters, but without the weight and cost of the big ones.

I'm not sure who is the market for the big scoots, but it isn't me -- I like the little ones because they are cheap and small and fun to ride around town. For long distance and fast speeds, call me traditional but I'd rather be on a motorcycle. Is their appeal mostly that they have automatic transmissions? (Anyone remember those CB750s with auto transmissions from the 1970s? Maybe they were just a few decades before their time...)
  6. speednut

speednut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how will this compare to the silverwing?
  7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    I think it looks really cool.

Wish it got better mileage though.

Edit: I also like the seating position a lot compared to other maxis. Probably not as comfy for long trips but if I had to choose a cross city commuter in a metropolitan area I'd want a large scooter for the power, wind protection and high speed stability, but also the ability to sit more upright for quick maneuvering like the small frame scooters.
  8. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    I was fortunate enough to take my friends 600 SWing out for a short ride the other morning.

It is every bit as fast as my 650 and felt narrow and light - like I think the new Yammi will pan out to be.

Given that Yamahas have such an ardent following - this opportunity may spell a death wish unto "normal bikes". (JK - for now)

God Speed to you shifting-clutching masses!

ps - the tmax is still not as quick, or as fast as the big burg - but that doesn't matter. The fact that it's huge in Europe (and it is coveted by many maxi-scooterists here) is enough to make a lot of (otherwise) ppl gander...

I like the lines and I'd take one if it had more "umph" and ABS!

me
  9. speednut

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info. I guess i'll wait till I can see the T-max in person. I mostly want the biggest and fastest car or truck but it doesn't seem as important on this scooter. T-max just looks right to me.
  10. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
  11. speednut

Oddometer:
    I called a Yamaha dealer inquiring of when they will be here he said to call back in two weeks. So I went to a different dealer they knew nothing about it and then tried to sell me a burgman 650[ black ] they had just started putting together it was sweet looking but I want to see a T-MAX before I decide.
  12. DUPPYPOG

DUPPYPOG Tmax Rider

Oddometer:
    I picked mine up a few days ago. I was told it was the first one sold in Western Canada. I have about 200 kms on it so far, and it is great. Rides and handles very well and milage so far is about 60 miles per imperial gal.
    I have the blue bike as the yellow was not available. It looks great in the sun light. This is the third Yamaha I have purchased, and if this one turns out half as good as the other Yamaha products I own, I will be very pleased.:clap
  13. speednut

Oddometer:
    how about a picture
  14. Joel mark

Oddometer:
    I am going to my dealer tommorow to put a deposit on one. I would sure like to see pictures, of the bike and of the dash and the 2 glove compartments. If you can't figure out how to post pics on here please e-mail them to me joelandsherri@comcast.net
  15. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    Joel: Look at the price of EVERYTHING! A company bringing in a totally new product is going to price it according to the dollar's current value.....the Burgman was priced when gold as $500oz / oil $60 a barrel and the dollar on par with the euro........did you really think a new product introduced in today's BoyGeorge economy was going to be priced at Honda Reflex levels....? Bruce
  16. Joel mark

Oddometer:
    Bruce, I was giving my opinion by saying:

I was figuring they were going to be in the high $6k range or right at $7k tops, just by what the Burgman and the Silverwing are priced at, but $8grand I don't know.

Who the hell said it should be priced at Honda Reflex price?????????

Doesnt matter anyway, I put a deposit on one today. Shopped around looking for the best price. Should be here end of July or 1st of August. Joel.
  17. DUPPYPOG

DUPPYPOG Tmax Rider

Oddometer:
    I will post pictures, when I get a chance to take some. I have about 500 kms on it now, and it is better then what I hoped for. It is very stable on the highway and in cross winds. It clips along with no vibrations and or shuttering even at high speed. I can ride at 120 kph with no problem. As a matter of fact I had to pass a car at this speed so I opened it up for a very short time. It climbed to 160kph and was still pulling when I let off. Unfriken believable. Millage so far seems to be in the 60 mpg (Imp gal) in mixed riding. Low speed handling and ride comfort is again very good. My only complaint is they say a full face helmet fits under the seat, but my Icon will not fit?? It does hold lots of stuff though and the two glove boxes work very well (be nice if they locked). It sure gets alot of looks, and even the motorcycle guys wave at me (go figure). I am very very happy with this bike.:clap
  18. rhinoWERX

rhinoWERX Crikey mate!

Oddometer:
    DUPPYPOG,

Can you tell us what the service interval schedule is? Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Congrats.
  19. DUPPYPOG

DUPPYPOG Tmax Rider

Oddometer:
    1st oil change 1000 kms
    next change every 4000 kms
    other basic maintanence items as per manual
    Also note engine requires premium fuel
  20. rs-mn

rs-mn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the mileage for Valve adjust? My 2007 Majesty 400 is every 26,600 miles (42,000 km).