Who would you trust (if anyone) with your ride

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BudCAD, Jan 25, 2012.

1. BudCAD

BudCAD Zen Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Only person I'd trust on mine is my brother Dave. I've let him ride my V-Strom a couple of times. Even though he's more skilled than I, he looked sooo nervous. We used to ride identical Nighthawk 750's (my '03 red, he and his wife on a blue '94) and would pull over and swap (bikes not wives).

So anybody ever let anyone else ride their ride?
  2. hrolf

hrolf neophyte

Oddometer:
    my brother and I have ridden each others' bikes. I'd probably trust his girlfriend to ride, too.

that's it.
  3. KhaoSanMan

KhaoSanMan Airhead

Oddometer:
    Anyone with a more expensive or more desirable bike willing to offer his/hers in trade if anything would happen to mine.
  4. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    since all of my friends are at LEAST as qualified as me, i let my friends ride my bikes often- especially if someone is visiting from overseas. heck- a couple years back i went to England for a 1400+ mile adventure. my buddy over there convinced a friend of HIS that i never had met, to loan me a bike for the ride. i fgure i owe out big time- just for that one 20 day period.
  5. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    i'll let just about anyone i know ride mine (basically, as long as i know they aren't going to ride off and never come back).

but an armored-up DRZ is pretty tough...short of riding it straight into a wall at a decent speed, they aren't likely to do more than break a $10 turn signal. and it's insured in the unlikely event someone manages to do any real damage to it.

when i do let inexperienced people ride it, i'm much more concerned about them hurting themselves than the bike.
  6. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I will let anyone I know, or just about anyone i meet from advrider ride my R1200 or DRZ... the r75/5.. I better know you and your riding skills pretty well.. not that I care about the R75 any more than the other two, but it is easier to ding up if you drop it.. the DRZ and R1200 are pretty well dinged up from me dropping them already :rofl
  7. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would pretty much let anyone with an endorsement ride most of my bikes. Just as long as they haven't been telling me how great and fast of a rider they are.
  8. Angry Wookie

Angry Wookie Running On Fumes

Oddometer:
    The most wretched hive of scum and villainy aka DC
    Every now and then my stepfather and I will use each others bikes. But that's normally only if we're doing maintenance and need to run the bikes to warm them up or test something. Other then that I don't normally let people ride them. I figure I should be the only one to drop them :D
  9. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this is a situational thing. I have a number of friends and relatives that I would trust to take full financial responsibility for my bike, if they were to have an accident while it was in their possession. Many of these friends do not possess the riding skills I would require to let them take my bike on a ride out of my site. Some I would allow a ride in the parking lot, but not on a trail or road.

OTH, situations can and do occur that may require entrusting your bike to another person. A serious injury in a foreign land is one that comes to mind. There are countless other situations that may have to be addressed. If I were being arrested, riding in an ambulance with my injured gf or something like that, I might choose to let someone ride my moto as opposed to leaving it somewhere, where it may be stolen, impounded or damaged. Sometimes you have to access the situation as you go.
  10. Dauntless

Dauntless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 R1200R and a 2010 KTM RC8R. I would let most of my riding friends ride my bikes because they all have more skills than me. They are all financially established and can probably take care of any damage. Even if they can't, I have full coverage. There are a few new riders in our group that I definitely would not allow to ride my bikes. Many of my friends have offered rides on their bikes but I mostly turn their offers down because I don't want the responsibility. I did accept a ride on a '92 VFR because I could have written a check to cover the cost of the bike. Plus, that engine sound was way too tempting.
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Just one friend I can think of, and not lately, because he's been bikeless for 2 years now.

Everyone else I know that rides does it too damn fast everywhere. Go crash your own bike.
  12. mid life

mid life Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My son is using my Transalp because he crashed his R1.but the heated grip on the right is not working as the wires have been ripped off.
    I have to lend it to him he has no other ride to work.
  13. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    If i have seen them ride and they are licensedd for it yes. Its only a bike.
  14. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I switch back and forth with all of my friends that I know can ride well. We ride dual sports that are already dented and scratched so there isn't much to sweat. If you are riding something pretty enough to worry about then you aren't riding where we are anyway.
  15. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    All of my friends that ride. The bikes are insured. It's no big whoop.
  16. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Just about anyone on the GS but a much smaller subsection on the Harley. Still any of my friends that are licensed and not drunk at the time.
  17. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    I have a few friends I let ride mine and my brother thats it! I even let a couple guys take them out on the track!:lol3
  18. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    My dad, and I'm the only one he would let ride his stuff.

I learned this when I asked him to try out his new Shovelhead. It had been converted to a suicide clutch with a jockey shift, and was kickstart only. He gave me the rundown on starting it, dropped a couple tips about clutch operation, and told me to have fun.

When I came back he asked me how it was. I thoroughly enjoyed it and asked him what his friends thought of it. He said they wouldn't know as he never let them ride it. I was pretty honored that day. :thumb
  19. Mista Bob

Mista Bob ^The other one

Oddometer:
    I'm not overly picky about who I let ride my bikes, but I don't let just anyone either.
    However there are a couple people I ride with who I would happily let them borrow my bike anytime.
    Even let them borrow it for a multiple day stint if they wanted.

Otherwise I'd let anyone sane take my bike for just a short ride after I've been riding with them for awhile (but only if I can ride theirs too!).
  20. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's one for irony: I let a casual friend, newly motorcycle licensed, ride my brand new Spyder in a parking lot. I didn't bat an eye. He was suitably intimidated, and thus suitably respectful.

A few weeks later, my older brother (30+ years of motorcycle experience, current HD rider) wanted to take the Spyder out on the street. This time, I was nervous as hell.

For I knew EXACTLY what he'd do: peel out of the driveway, hoon it down the street, and ride the thing like he was riding his Harley (fine if he's on HIS two-wheel Harley, precisely the wrong way to ride a three-wheeled reverse trike for the first time!).

He came back 45 minutes later with a big grin on his face. I believe I paced nervously on my porch for about 44 of those :eek1.