Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki & Kawasaki - Listen Up, Please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mtntrails, Jan 20, 2013.

1. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    The wr450f weighs the same as a 450exc.
  2. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Guys, please keep it civil and about the bikes in this forum.

No one wants to read posts with f-bombs and insults here in the Thumpers forum.

If you can't manage to be civil and follow the forum rules, I can help. :D

Thanks
    CA Stu
    Thumpers Mod

PS You want to talk trash on each other? Take it to Jo Momma and go nuts.
  3. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    GB , what area you in?
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Currently down near Miami. No more good riding down here thanks to developers. I trek north any chance I get.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Different kind of technical down there. No rock bashing, no crazy several hundred foot drop offs or nightmare steep trails covered with softball size rocks. Same tight trees through. Did I mention no rocks?

But the trails down there are damn hard for sure. Axle deep energy sapping sand and mud full of roots and stumps, bushes that bite and red clay that is as slick as greased ice when wet.

Down south brush, briars and trees rather than rocks tear you up and zero traction wears out rather than terrifying drop offs and impossible climbs. And ditches. And mud. And ......

I have had the misfortune of experiencing both types. All I can say for Florida is it usually didn't hurt as bad when I crashed. Unless it was into a tree or yucca bush. Thought I would bleed to death from one of those yuccas.
  6. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    My apologies to the true riders in Florida. But you have to admit, when you think of Florida, you think....flat.
  7. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I lived in Miami also . Coral rock and green clay. When the clay is wet and churned up its mush , when its packed and wet its like ice , but when its dry its like powder .
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Just thought it was a bit naive to state that one rider is better or more experienced than another due to geographic region.

Really depends upon where you are at. FL has very diverse terrain. Everything from gnarly rock strewn loose over hard to deep sugar sand and hidden Cypress knees. We also have palmetto scrub , cacti, lots of vines and areas covered in limestone boulders that like to hide until you fall onto one. We also have some areas with pretty good (for FL) elevation change. They tend to be sketchy as many were some type of mine at some point. The saw-grass is fun too! And yes, those yucca plants are no joke. :eek1

*EDIT:

True but that does not equate to a lack in technical riding. The FL on TV isn't the FL I grew up in. It's cool though man and glad you cleared it up.
  9. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    Saw grass, spartina grass and yucca plants. All good stuff. But I forgot to mention quick sand. Just like the cheesy B movies. :lol3

[​IMG]

To be honest, I don't know which kicks my ass worse. The exhausting hell of coastal riding or the endless pounding up here in rocks and mountains. But I have had road rash from crashing on the beach and from crashing on rocks. So I have equal opportunity scars.
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

:lol3 I can hear the cackling of the monkeys in the background!! Yeah, not sure which I like less...Hitting rocks that I can see while I am falling but still don't have time to tuck and roll away from or running into a tree stump that is just deep enough under the sugar sand that you don't notice it until it smacks you in the ribs. :cry
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I've just about had it with this kinda crap in Thumpers.. it ruins the discussion and always seems to turn into dick waving about the merits of your bike while denigrating others' choice of bike..

Keep it civil and keep the F-bombs for the basement. And remember, high maintenance inmates get the boot. We're not here to babysit any one inmate.
  12. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    One of the guys in that pic got thrown down in a sugar sand swamp and broke a couple of ribs on a stump. Sand usually hurts a lot less in a crash. But what is in the sand .... not so much. Same guy broke his ankle in the same swamp a couple of years ago in one of those bottomless log skidder ruts at like zero miles per hour.

The flip side is a flat lander like me goes to the mountains the frist time and tries turning with the foot out fan the clutch "style" learned down south in sand. That was a painful lesson about rocks and toes. :lol3 I have learned to switch back and forth between riding styles when I haul the bike back to the SC Sea Islands.

I can ride rocks now. No veteran of like ten Shenandoah 500's is going to be shy about rocks. But I am still a flat lander at heart. Still not sure which is harder on the bike though: rock rash or salt mud.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Going from forty to nothing flat in zero feet is no fun!!

:roflI thought it was just me. I did that on one of my first rides in NC. Felt like that buck you get trying to kick start an old air cooled open class two smoke!
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I think the point is, a WR450 R wouldn't.
  15. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    CRF250R - 227 lbs
    CRF250X - 254 = 227+27
    CRF250L - 320 = 254+66

YZ250F - 227
    WR250F - 254 = 227+27
    WR250R - 295 = 254+41

YZ450F - 245
    WR450F - 273 = 245+28
    WR450R - Not under 300. No way no how.
  16. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buying used is the much smarter financial move.....if you have the ability to save, or already have the cash, and have a decent knowledge of machines and fair pricing, you can get a great bike in great shape for a fraction of new. Even cheaper if you're a savvy buyer :evil Not to mention avoiding the depreciation hit of new :wink:

I do feel bad for the guys who have to finance and buy new, or just want brand new, because bike prices are going nothing but up.
    But somebodies gotta take one for the team to get these used bikes on the market :lol3
  17. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    Nicely done. Thank you. We need more facts around here and less hysteria.
  18. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:

WRFs & CRFXs also fall in to that "hard enduro" subcategory. All of these bikes (EXCs, XCWs, TEs, WRFs & CRFXs) are excellent and versatile, but their missions and capabilities are all more narrowly focused than the bike that is proposed in the original post of this thread.

All of these bikes have Ti valves (vs steel) that require frequent valve adjustments and wear out much faster than steel valves. Sure, Kibblewhite Performance can replace your Ti valves for steel ones, but it's an expensive proposition that requires removal of the top end, shipping the top end to Kibblewhite and reinstalling it. It's not something that most buyers are willing to do.

All of these bikes also have very little oil capacity - barely more than 1 qt. They all require very frequent oil changes even in non-race applications. Yes, you can add an oil cooler that can increase you oil capacity closer to 2 qts, but this is an expensive proposition that most buyers would not be willing to do.

All of these bikes have minimal electrical output - barely enough to add a GPS. Baja Designs and others have kits to increase electrical output, but this is an expensive proposition that most buyers would not be willing to do.

With all of this said, I don't feel that these bikes are as relevant to this thread / discussion as so many of you do. At the end of the day, I'm talking about a modern, mid-size dualsport that is capable of everything from light single track to long haul RTW travel. Again, these are all excellent bikes, but they are more narrowly focused than the more "universal" bike that is the intended subject of this thread.
  19. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the original post
  20. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    What i find interesting is how closely my thirteen year old LC4E matches that list. I have always found the six speed fetish here in Thumpers silly and I am perfectly happy with a well tuned carb. So those two are irrelevent to me. Otherwise I am riding a bike that meets every criteria on the list except horsepower which it exceeds by quite a lot.

My old bike weighs 325 pounds with a sweet aftermarket seat, 18l fuel tank, full DOT kit, two mirrors, centerstand, stout skid plate, full wrap hand guards, extensive tool kit, tire iron, patch kit, spare shifter and three gallons of gas on the bike. The only thing not stock, besides the seat, is the muffler which is the functional equivalent of an FMF Q series.

All of which begs the question: why can't anybody else do that now? The answer is money. This bike cost $7000 when Bill Clinton was still President. :eek1