Trailer building

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by manstache, Nov 10, 2014.

1. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
  2. Tubaman

Tubaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about you find an old boat trailer or something with a resonable axel and build, add, design from there? Must be cheaper...
  3. manstache

Oddometer:
  4. packerbacker

packerbacker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. yankeeone

yankeeone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing as you want to do, I found a small trailer in the dump, and set it up as you described. For the the ramp, I made rails under the trailer, and slide the ramp under to store it. I don't have the technology to post pic. Works great.
  6. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    On the utility trailer I made I have lugs on the ends of the tailgates, there's an opening tailgate at each end (the same 12" height as the sides) they can slide off their hinge pins, (handy for hauling long stuff) then there's receivers for the lugs in the back of the trailer so the tailgates clip on at the ends to use as ramps.

I have thought about making a removable wheel chock frame that bolts to, or takes the place of, the front tailgate, but as we don't haul the bikes around all that often it's not high on the projects list.

No idea if rust is much of an issue where you are but if so I'd recommend galvanising over painting if it's an option locally. Just use the trailer some before getting it done so any little mods needed can be done before the zinc goes on.

Cheers
    Clint
  7. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    So long as you get 5-lug hubs you can use most any 15" car wheel. The 5 on 4½" bolt circle is what 90% of the 5-lug cars run. Including most import. So wheels should be super easy to find. I run a set of yard sale alloy wheels off a mustang. If you step up a size or two the tire options really open up if you use car tires, and no reason not to on a trailer that light.

Personally not a huge fan of torsion axles. I just cut one out and scrapped it a few years ago. Beam axle with air bag springs. Best thing I ever did for that trailer.

The cheap Harbor Freight trailers are a pretty good deal. Come with an MSO so it is easier to title and plate.

Ever consider a pickup bed trailer? They can be had for pretty cheap.
  8. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    juddspaintballs:
    You didn't mention what you're going to haul with this trailer, but it sounds like your needs are different from mine.

I sold my 4x8 HF folder about 3 weeks ago (have a 5x8 Northern Tool).
    I'd been tweaking it for a year or so and had it rigged for loading without a ramp for my road bike and had dragged it everywhere, in all kinds of weather.
    Ok, so I had to slab the DRZ400 50 miles to a ride this past Saturday at 30 degrees :baldy
    Today I started another trailer build :huh.

I want narrow, light, low deck so it's not too tippy, no ramp needed, so I bought the HF 40 1/2x 48 kit with 12" wheels.

My plan is to put a 4" drop in the axle between the springs, mount the axle on the top of the springs, drop the deck to 1" above the axle and have an opening in the deck for the axle to travel up thru, that can be bridged/closed when loading/unloading.
    The bike with be positioned so the engine will be over the axle opening in the deck.
    I started mocking it up today and it looks like the deck will be about 6''-7" off the road
    I will be extending the tongue too.
    I went to sLowes and took pics of the Carry-On trailers because they are totally made of 1 1/2"x 1/8" angle iron, and what I plan to use :evil.

I had a flex axle trailer too, loved it, but damn, them axles are pricey :eek1
    I'll be following your build...and may start a thread on mine :thumb
    Have fun,
    Ken:lol3

Edit: there's pics of my 4x8 HF folder in the last few pages of the mega HF trailer thread
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123255&highlight=Harbor+Freight+Trailer&page=35
  9. manstache

Oddometer:
  10. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    FYI - These ramps are cheap and easy to build. http://www.bikercamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/DIY-bike-Ramp.pdf

I made a slightly slimmer version and made them attach to the sidewalls of the trailer. When I join them together they are nearly 36" wide and make it easy to back a heavy bike off of it alone, and with your feet down. Or just about anything else big.

Not sure if you want anything that large, but maybe making them attach to the side would work for you?

[​IMG]
  11. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Yep, I put junkyard/car/wheels/tires on my HF trailer that had 5 lugs, 12" though.
    You might get some design ideas scanning the HF trailer threads too.
    I have a tri-fold ramp and put it across the front of the 5x8 trailer deck as a stone guard, I'll take/post a pic tomorrow.
    Ken
  12. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    do you need to run shocks with a torsion axle?
  13. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Misplaced Farmboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just put this up a few days ago...

[​IMG]

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021428
    Also not a fan of the torsion axle... In my opinion they are only good for lowering bed height.

My build is width specific, to follow in jeep tracks. However it has options for sides/front/back with stake pockets. A front gravel shield can easily be bolted to the wheel chocks. The wheel chocks will fold flat to give you a totally flat surface if need be. Hook size spaces in the floor allow for multiple tie-down points. My outside tie-down points are retractable, no knee knocker's.
    I used 14" wheels as that is what I had and always have a good supply used tires from my boat trailers. A 14" tire will also allow you to use smaller fenders not the full 1/2 fenders as on most 15" tires.
    No trailer is perfect, I make changes frequently but also like to have a project going.:D
  14. manstache

Oddometer:
  15. dhally

dhally Hammerhead

Oddometer:
    I got one of these puppies. Torsion axle, 14" alloy wheels, and the bi-fold tailgate RAWKS! The gate folds down into a very nice walk-up ramp.

Yes it was expensive but it might give you some ideas. Don't get an axle rated a lot higher than you need. It will cause a rough ride when empty or partly loaded.

[​IMG]
  16. BossMaverick

BossMaverick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have many suggestions, but I am curious why you are so set on torsion axles. I've always found their performance lacking compared to a properly sprung leaf spring setup. I would use a traditional under-slung drop axle If I was building a trailer and wanted to keep the height low.

For what its worth, my utility trailer has the sealed oval style lights like you are thinking about. I feel they are the best option for trailer lights since they are 100% sealed and the light brackets or housings can take a beating. They are much better than the cheap lights that come with most trailer light kits.

For not much more than the cost of a good set of aluminum ramps, you could make your own loading gate like what packerbacker posted. You can make the frame out of 1"x1" square tubing and angle iron and use expanded metal over the framing (like this: http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=expanded&LimAcc= &aident= ). Metalsdepot sells the 3/4" raised diamond style for $50 for a 4'x4' piece but it should cost less by buying locally, especially if you only need a 3' ramp. You can buy weldable hinges (like these: http://www.grainger.com/product/4PP...4PPP4&ef_id=VGJZxwAAAK@@f@6x:20141111184735:s ) that you can use to make the pivot for the gate.

An alternate idea instead of a hinged loading gate is to make two separate ramps using the same materials but make brackets on the sides of the trailer so the gates double as vertical side panels for the trailer. That would also allow you to have longer ramps so it would be easier to load low riding things like lawn tractors and street motorcycles.
  17. manstache

Oddometer:
  18. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:

I appreciate the thought and design that went into that. Especially the retractable outside tie downs I might have to borrow that idea. When I have two big bikes in my trailer I'm always trying to figure out a way to get sideways pull on outside bars and your solution is perfect
  19. manstache

Oddometer:
  20. BossMaverick

BossMaverick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 3,500 pound axle is way too much for a 4x8 trailer, especially if you are going to be hauling just a motorcycle or two. The thing will bounce around even with a bike on it.

I used a 5x10 enclosed cargo trailer with torsion springs for a month or two. It had a GVWR of 3,000 pounds, so I always assumed it had a 3,500 pound axle. It would need at least 600 pounds of cargo before it would start to settle down over bumps. Considering that trailer probably weighed at least 600 to 800 pounds more than the trailer you're building, you would probably need 1,000 to 1,200 pounds of cargo to reach the point of an acceptable ride. In other words, you would need to somehow fit two Harley's on your 4x8 trailer to get a smooth ride but you still wouldn't be close to max capacity.