Elefantentreffen 2013

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Oldenough2knowbetter, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oldenough2knowbetter

Oldenough2knowbetter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning, preparation and Autumn re-fit of sidecar underway while it's still relatively warm, so when it gets colder, I'm already committed and can't bottle out:wink:

SO.......

Who's up for another weekend of Vodka, schnappes,German beer and frostbite:beer

Adge
  2. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    intriguing, tell me more...
  3. Oldenough2knowbetter

Oldenough2knowbetter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply, got lots of cr4p going on at the moment!

Look here for more info on the Rally http://www.bvdm.de/et.html

The rally officially starts on Friday but people arrive from Tuesday onwards.
    We get the Wednesday morning ferry , then stop at Cologne overnight, travelling the rest of the way on Thursday and leave for home on Sunday morning. The part in between gets a bit foggy. I'm sure it involves LOTS of drinking, cooking over wood fires and talking bullsh*t.:freaky
    It does get a bit parky, with temperatures down to -5C travelling down and down to -16C overnight, so good warm kit is essential!

As it's a 1700 mile round trip for us we always bring my sidecar outfit, but many people bring solos, it just depends on the weather travelling down.

To get a taste of what to expect , take a look at Youtube. There are many videos there.

Adge
  4. sfwo79

sfwo79 euroromper

Oddometer:
    I've been wanting to do this trip for many years now. I think this is the one.
    DF:freaky
  5. Rose

Rose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Memories.....

Check if you're heated grips are still working before you leave....
    Mine didn't and boy did I miss 'm....
    [​IMG]

Oh and don't forget to test your insulating mattress before you leave, I have tested it without air in it (it was slowly leaking) and that does not work well keeping you warm :hmmmmm[​IMG]

Make sure to get some warm gear (no this in not me):

[​IMG]

And start practising now, if you want to win the best snow.... (whatever) contest:
    [​IMG]

Oh and last but not least..... beer makes you have to get out of your tent at night, so alternatives are advised....
    [​IMG]

Have fun!!
    :clap:freaky
  6. Habibi Rocks

Habibi Rocks Banned

Oddometer:
    Its going to be good !!!!!!!! Hope i can get up to Germany ...... Always good comraderie :freaky
  7. Jim pedley

Jim pedley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure thinking about it again ! ! ! Anyone else up for it ?
  8. V Saarela

V Saarela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boden, North of Sweden and near the arctic circle
    On a Swedish forum we are in diskussion about using studded(spikes) tyres, espcielly in Germany.

We have noticed about wintertires on cars, also about strange laws/paragrafs/diskussions using M+S tyres etc etc. Still, can´t found a word about using studded tyres.

Is the law same on bikes as well as on cars? If using in area where you have to use wintertyres, is spikes allowed or....? Can I find a paragraf about the studded tyres on bikes?
  9. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    I could only fit one winter rally in this year, so opted for the Dragon. Hoping to do the Elephant 2014.

As to peeing in the cold...

Take a lead from mountaineers: getting out your tent gets you cold and wakes you up and it takes forever to fall back asleep. Get one of these:
    http://www.outdoor-ranger.co.uk/nalgene-wide-mouth-cantene-clear-p-13832.html?currency=GBP&language=gb

Once you've used one, you'll never go back. Make sure you get the wide-mouth version unless you're hung like a doormouse.
  10. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    ..and, more important, don't try to use a plastic bottle by cutting its neck ..PET bottles edges are like razors. cuts there are bad... get a motor oil bottle!
  11. JethroDog

JethroDog dogs bark

Oddometer:
    Studded tires on cars or motorcycles are not allowed on public roads in Germany (unlike Austria, Switzerland, and Italy). M&S tires are required on motorcycles for insurance purposes when winter conditions are present, however the winter tire requirement doesn't specify motorcycles. I doubt that you would get pulled over on your motorcycle for a tire check while it is snowing. The good news is that you can use snow chains (but don't exceed 50 KMH).

Chris
  12. rescueMAN

rescueMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You just have to make sure you wash it out well before putting cold drink in it :clap
  13. V Saarela

V Saarela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boden, North of Sweden and near the arctic circle
    :thumb

Thank´s!
  14. rescueMAN

rescueMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ceri, I see the Dragon tickets are sold out already! 4 weeks, thats a record I think :huh
  15. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Aye; I had a reminder in my calendar for the day they went on sale. I was away on a work trip for 4 days, came back to order them and the site already said they had sold 50% of them!
    :eek1
  16. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    wrap some tape around the bottle so you can tell its your pee bottle and not your drinking water in the ngiht....and when you're done relieving the german biers into the bottle you can put the warm bottle in bed with you for extra warmth :evil ...but make sure the lid is tight first :lol3

works a trick with socks and undies too. keep them in your sleping bag so when you crawl out of bed you have warm socks to put on
  17. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    My "system" is to only drink from my hydropak during the night. I can keep the hose near my head, don't need to sit up or even get out of my bag at all. In all seriousness, it also helps prevent spilling your drinking water on your pillow/bag (which I've done in the past drinking from bottles when half asleep).
  18. Direktor

Direktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What will be temperatures around? :D
  19. Jim pedley

Jim pedley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Around zero to -10 and below at night !!
  20. Rose

Rose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I usually keep my camelbag close to me at night.
    But the last Elefantentreffen I wen t to with -15 at night, all liquids in the tent where frozen solid, even the bread and ham had to be defrosted before eating...
    So you have to keep your hydropack IN your sleeping bag as well :huh
    Or get a real good insulated pack??