I rode a Victory Cross Country yesterday

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by BlueSkyGuy, May 10, 2012.

1. BlueSkyGuy

BlueSkyGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRP, SLD,129, 421, 50, 219,6, 33, 250, etc...
    Impressed, I have owned, rented, begged, and borrowed pver 150 motorcycles and this one is impessive. For a touring/cruiser it's just great.
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    What, no pictures? You mean I have to "Google" it myself?

[​IMG]
  3. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a test ride on a Cross Country Tour last weekend. Comfort, handling, aero, enough power (spoiled by my Roadster), and a ton of features. I admit to a fondness for Victory (like Vicster wasn't a good enough clue), but even with that, I was pretty impressed. Doesn't hurt that it's the only one of the genre with enough leg room for me either.
    Thinkin' I'll make an offer Saturday...
  4. Modus

Modus Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I test rode one last spring. Nice bike but the head buffeting from the wind at highway speed was horrendous. The salesman acknowledged it was an issue for most people and the first thing people did was change the windscreen. Maybe victory got the message and have improved it?
  5. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed it on the first one I rode, but the second demo day I rode one with the taller windscreen and it was great.

I haven't ridden the tour model yet....

[​IMG]

I really like the CC as well, and as you say it fits. So does this one for me...

[​IMG]
  6. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    They just can't let go of that Bozo The Clown styling can they?

[​IMG]
  7. BlueSkyGuy

BlueSkyGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRP, SLD,129, 421, 50, 219,6, 33, 250, etc...

Few motorcycles have been dialed in for air flow, lucky for everyone such a large aftermarket exists to do just that.
  8. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    you made it cross country in one day? ya gotta slow down...
  9. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 I'm 6'2" with a relatively long torso and arms. You might be 5'3" with short legs and big feet, what makes anyone think one windshield will work for all riders? :deal
  10. Modus

Modus Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been riding for 40+ years so yeah, I get that one windshield does not work for everyone. I'm not talking about "dialed in" I'm talking about rideable. One of the bikes I had at the time I took the test ride was a Wee Strom, a bike not noted for sleek aerodynamics allowing it to slip effortlessly through the air with hardly a ripple. I know about buffeting. The Cross Country was so bad after 5 minutes on the freeway I was looking for an exit. Like I said before, the salesman acknowledged it was an issue and I went on a couple of Victory forums after and it was a common topic, 5'3" or 6' 3" didn't matter.

Victory markets the Cross Country as a touring bike, and it's not cheap. It surprised me they let the bike out of the factory that way. Didn't anyone test ride it before they finalized the design? If so many people were having an issue I would hope Victory did something about it, sounds like maybe they did.

All I'm saying is if anyone is going for a test ride make sure you do some highway riding so you know what you are getting.

That is all.
  11. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can probably blame the marketing department, shorty windshields are the in thing with the custom bagger set at the moment, look at the HD Street Glide and Roadglide Custom.

I like the looks of the short screens, but would probably end up with an aftermarket screen on any of these bikes.
  12. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with Modus. I test rode an XC with the short shield and the buffeting wasn't too bad for me (6'7", 38" inseam), but was not as good as I thought a "touring" bike should be. The demo truck dude assured me the XC with the tall shield and lowers would work fine for me so I tried it next. By the time I hit the top of second, I couldn't wait to get off it, the bouncing on the top of my helmet was so bad. Owners report various cures such as the Ness lowers and Klockwerks shield, both of which are available from the Victory catalog.
    When I test rode the XC Tour, wind noise and buffeting were a non issue for me. At 65mph on a slightly windy day with a little rain thrown in, if I concentrated on it I could detect the sound, but not feel, of buffeting. This without my usual ear plugs in. This is a big deal for me as buffeting is the deal breaker for me on a touring bike. I leave in a few days on a big trip and have decided to not even put the shield back on my Roadster as I'd rather just deal with the wind pressure than the noise and buffeting.
    If I go the full boat touring bike thing, the XC is it, as my past Victory ownership has been great and this thing works for me. Plus I like that it already comes with cruise control, heated grips, heated seat, adjustable floorboards, etc, etc. I also like the quick oil changes and that the bag pops right off so you can easily check rear tire pressure without having to lay on the ground.
    What's the warranty on these now? 100,000 miles on the trans, and 3 years on the rest of the bike? I've gotten confused with all the different sales gimmicks announced over the winter.

2tallnwide, I like the Yamaha too, but to me it's just a bat wing and bags on a cruiser. To my way of thinking the XC Tour is a couple steps above that in features and design. Which is reflected in the price unfortunately.
  13. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    Actually some people can design a short screen that works. When I bought my K1200r the dealer (of course) had bolted on the optional short sport screen (or something) and it looked like the most useless POS I'd ever seen. However, it punches through the wind with remarkable effect.
  14. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're not wrong, Scrannel, aerodynamics are a bitch that doesn't always respond to logic.
    As stated above, for ME, the short screen on the XC was actually better than the tall.
    Not to get too far OT, but, Re Buffeting:
    One of the best bikes I've ridden? KTM950SM. One of the worst? KTM950A.
    My DR with a BC Lynx fairing with shield on? Bad. Without the shield? Real good.
    My '02 Vic' with factory windshield? Bad. With Harley batwing? Real good.

IMO that's why test rides are so important. I'm no longer willing to buy a buffeting bike hoping I'll be able to cure the problem a few hundred $$$$ later..
  15. ReferJohn

ReferJohn 4th Gear pinned> you'll make it

Oddometer:
    I test rode a XC today, I am 5'11', did NOT ride the freeway on our dealer demo loop, but did do 80 MPH uphill and had the buffeting, even at lower speeds. The BIKE is very impressive, great suspension, no vibration.
    even test rode the arlen ness Vison- no buffeting on that model..... but the XC would be a better ride after trying windshields out that work.

the Ness Vison
    [​IMG]

the Cross Country
    [​IMG]
  16. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl
  17. txwanderer

txwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just pulled the trigger on a Cross Country Tour. With the $1k accessory package, I opted for the Clockworks shorty. It was on the first ride and standard on the second, at 6'1" I couldn't see over the stocker shield, so we will see. Buffeting wasn't an issue for me with either shield, but I prefer to look over.
    I will miss the Wing power band and will have to get used to the twin. On paper the two have similar stats, but in reality, not so much in the delivery. The victory isn't a slouch, and for what it is, does things well. The wing just never "fit".
    I hope the Vic is as reliable and all weather dependable as the Honda.
  18. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congtat's! I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Vic', and Lord knows reliability won't be an issue. Victorys are very well made. The XC is also a good fit for a long legged riders.
    I managed to leave the dealership without the XC yesterday but it's on the short list.

What's this $1K accessory package you're talking about?

What color did you get?
  19. chukzelda

chukzelda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to see a thread on Victory's. The vision is one of 2 bikes I would ever consider spending the big $$ on. I've been to a Victory dealer and walked away extremely impressed with the fit and finish.

peace,
    Chuk
  20. jackhett

jackhett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tip of MI's "Thumb", FL - when it's too damn cold
    Got a Cross Country Tour this spring to replace my BMW R1200RT. I was finding the RT to be too tall as I get older. Never had a cruiser before. After 2,000 miles I just love this bike. I bought it as a long-haul tourer and it fits that role to perfection.

Biggest surprise to me was the relatively agile handling of this big beast. Not like the RT, of course but still pretty darn good. Most comfortable bike I've ever had. Love the huge foot boards.

Wind isn't a problem on the XCT as it is on the XC. Difference is the taller (too tall for me) windscreen & the lowers. I swapped the barn door screen for a Klokwerks flip that I can look over. Clean air. No buffeting.

I understand that buffeting issues with the XCs are easily solved.