City Nav v8: Multi-day routing

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Tempo, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Tempo

Tempo Stumptown Native

Oddometer:
    Most mapping programs allow you to specify preferences including your preferred start and end times each day or the maximum number of miles traveled in a day, etc.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I noticed that in City Nav v8 it says my 1,500 mile trip is 1 day and x hours, but really to me it’s much longer than that -- it’s a multi-day trip. How do I break this up? Do I need to manually create waypoints on my route and then manually create each leg? Or can I take the whole 1,500 mile chunk and have the software tell me where & when each day begins/ends? I don't want to ride more than 500 miles in a day.

<o:p> </o:p>
    In the preferences area I see such basics as where I can set the miles per hour, my preferred roads and what not, but I see nothing that allows me to set additional parameters that would indicate it can auto adjust for a multi-day trip based on my preferences.

Thanks in advance.
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Mapsource won't do that.
    Not familiar with "most mapping programs" so I didn't know such a capability exisited. I just create new routes for each day. Not that hard.
  3. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Been discussed before - about 3 or 4 months ago, I think. The short answer as Tbird said is that Mapsource does not offer this.

What you can do is start with the whole route, figure out how many miles a day you want to ride, then delete the parts you don't want. You can navigate them one at a time.

Dave
  4. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Dave's right, there are a couple threads that discuss this.

One important thing, you will never want to have a "day" route, especially on a motorcycle.

Between weather, neat things and roses to smell, you might decide to do something different on a whim, or because you have to and then get back on the route. Doing this with a 2000 mile route on a little GPS can be ugly and slow.

I always split my routes up into nothing larger than 3-400 mile segments when I'm touring, giving me many alternatives while I'm riding and don't have the luxury of a keyboard and mouse.

If you ride and plan on doing long haul riding, do yourself a favor and either by time or by location, pick convenient places that are cool to break things up. That way, if something breaks, you go off course to see something neat or mother nature shits on your parade, you have the flexibility to deal with it and then get back on track without beating your head against the wall with a touch screen.

When I'm on the road, if I think a big change is in order or somebody calls with a brainy idea, I whip out my notebook, plan it out in comfort with a glass of wine and download it in the GPS. For me GPS routing is get me out of this storm, find me a garage or gas or get me to someone's house quickly that wasn't planned on my original route.

Edit: I forgot one other thing I love to do. No real route at all, just go where it looks good. Play, have fun and when you get to a point where you need to "be there" then let the GPS route you there.