Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    I've gotten some bouncing around those speeds with a rimlock until I balanced it. I did a pretty crude balancing at home and it 95% solved the problem.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Is the engine case, specifically the stator side, aluminum or magnesium?

I holed mine today, punched the shifter right through it. If aluminum, I can get a guy to weld it up... if not aluminum I guess I'll be buying a new one.

If I can weld it up, should I leave it on the bike to keep from warping it, or pull it off?
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aluminum, take it off it won't warp.
  4. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chad are you still running your throttle tube and housing 180 degrees upside down? I'm just completing my HDB install and I don't have enough slack in the throttle cables with the housing in the stock position.

Thanks
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna trust ya on this!

Thanks...
  6. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Yes, cjbiker the front is computer spin balanced with no rim lock just a larger alum. air valve cap is what you probably see.

skierd, those bags up front are only light clothing about 2 lbs per side and were there when I had the previous OEM trailwing on it with no problem. This problem only showed up after I mounted the new Kenda 270 which is the first time I have used one, and was wondering if anyone who has used them before ever ran into this problem.
    As for the fuel storage I may drop the rotopax before the trip; I'm still in the pre-trip testing stage for full up load.
  7. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're wecome.
  8. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just noticed that justgastanks.com is a bit of a misnomer. In addition to the obvious, they also have Wolfman gear, Seat Concepts seats, and Rotopax gas cans. Another plus is they offer 5% off to Advriders.

I have a stock bike in desperate need of attention. Are there any other places with one-stop shopping for touring farkles?
  9. japako

japako Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just for the heck of it, can you jack up the bike until the front wheel is off the ground?. If you can, make sure the brake is not dragging and spin the wheel. If it stops at the same place after a few times, it is more than likely the wheel is out of balance.

I don't trust spin balances, as they need to be calibrated and they can be off. Also not many shops think that knobbies need to be balanced.

This is not a perfect way, but it will show an out of balance wheel.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Don't actually spin the tire, just lightly move it to various spots every 45 degrees or so and see if it stays or keeps rolling to a certain area.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    dualsportarmory.com has about the best listed prices I have found plus they also give 5% adv discount. Look for their thread in the vendors section.
  12. Scharcon

Scharcon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the HDB setup and am running throttle cables upside down with no issues. Also agree with Chadx with the 1-1/2" max. No way could I have gone the 2" with stock cable even upside down.
  13. shep546

shep546 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wheelingcyclesupply
  14. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pic from today. Unfortunately I think I sprained my ankle pretty early in the day so I was taking it pretty easy. Tuckahoe is some DIFFICULT terrain.

[​IMG]
  15. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    First farkle on the WR250R this weekend! Been going back and forth on racks, ended up with the IMMIX racing model.

http://www.immixracing.com/make/yamaha/yamaha-wr250r-cargo-rack.html

Went on easy, very solid.

Why this one? Well, I like the look of the billet ones, but not the shape. And I plan on having it covered most of the time, either with camping gear, a Pelican, or a milk crate. I narrowed it down to this one and the TCI Borrego, but thought the TCI was a bit too big. The other thing I liked about the IMMIX was that unlike the Borrego, it's a natural extension of the seat, keeping the same line, where the Borrego is more level, but out of line with the seat. I like the larger mounting footprint of the Borrego and the IMMIX. Anyway, it's on and way too clean.

Here are some pics, the ones on the IMMIX site are much better. Did a test fit of a Pelican and a milk crate too. Oh, and the best part, on sale for $80.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this guy makes case savers for anything other than KTM's but you could drop him a PM and find out?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839454

If not, I bet Sandman could gin these up for the WR?
  17. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  18. japako

japako Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, that works also.. By spinning the tire, I get to drink a beer before it stops. By the time it's balanced I'm done for the day...:freaky
  19. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I don't screw with it anymore.....I automatically just throw four 1oz. weights directly across from the Rim Lock/Valve stem......pretty damn close to balanced.......and I use spoke weights....not those adhesive rim strips that fly off.....you can see'em on the front spokes in the below pic (I don't bother to balance the rear)

[​IMG]
  20. ADWrider

ADWrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crikey, do you ever plan to stop for gas? What's your range with that setup?