Mapsource 6.14.1 SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by PbdBlue, Jul 24, 2008.

1. PbdBlue

PbdBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody else tried this version yet? They changed the way the map is displayed to make it look more like a road map. Unfortunately the display is incredibly slow. When you pan the screen takes several seconds to update. I tried the new rev on my laptop and desktop, both of which are reasonably current machines, with the similar results. The old version (6.13.7) was seamless when you panned so I'm in the process of reverting back. Luckily one of my buddies has a copy of v6.13.7 as the only other version Garmin has on their site is v6.11.5 which is over two years old and won't load gdb files that I created with more current revs! What were they thinking????
  2. postaldave

postaldave gone postal

Oddometer:
    they were thinking you needed a new faster computer. :D

save your files as a gpx file and you can take it to any version of mapsource you like.

3. PbdBlue

PbdBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried it? I think you need a Cray :eek1

Anyway I can't even open some of my files with 6.11.5 to convert them. I do have some utilities that will do it but my buddy is sending me 6.13.7 so I'll just wait and all will be well then.
  4. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. PbdBlue

PbdBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That'll save a trip! Seriously what does everyone else think of this new version? I use MS to layout tracks and this new version seems pretty clunky. As a road map it's probably ok.
  6. katoosh

katoosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. DeFens

DeFens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problems here - I just downloaded it a couple days ago. At first I had a bit of a problem getting it to read both my 24K Topo and City Navigator mapsets, but once that was sorted out I've seen no difference in performance. I'm running Vista Ultimate on a 64-bit HP laptop with a gig of RAM.
  8. pepebaja

pepebaja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Valle de Guadalupe Baja California Norte MEXICO
    i upgraded to new version and immediately my free canada, oregon, arizona, utah, new mexico mapsets were prompted that had to be reloaded. I reloaded and got same message. Somehow Garmin changed their licensing on the products and probably disabled the free mapsets that you can get out in the internet.
    lbmaps, baja almanac, baja topo all worked fine, but i believe Garmin is encrypting a code to mapsets "disabling" freeware mapsests
    I ended up going back to 6.13.7 and everything is "back to normal":deal
  9. pepebaja

pepebaja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Valle de Guadalupe Baja California Norte MEXICO
    i upgraded to new version and immediately my free canada, oregon, arizona, utah, new mexico mapsets were prompted that had to be reloaded. I reloaded and got same message. Somehow Garmin changed their licensing on the products and probably disabled the free mapsets that you can get out in the internet.
    lbmaps, baja almanac, baja topo all worked fine, but i believe Garmin is encrypting a code to mapsets "disabling" freeware mapsests
    I ended up going back to 6.13.7 and everything is "back to normal":deal
  10. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    More like they tweaked their software for their maps and the ones you loaded don't fit the new structure.

I have both running. I'm going to keep the new one on my laptop. I don't really notice much difference, other than the default icons went to crap.

You can set different colors on routes, and that's kinda cool.

Have to use it for a while to form an opinion.

Dave
  11. PbdBlue

PbdBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What maps are you using? If it's City Nav is it the NT version? When I tried it I was using CN2007 which has many more and much smaller map segments than the NT version. Every time you panned onto a new segment there was a significant delay (several seconds) while it loaded the new segment. The segment would start out as a grey block and then the map is drawn in. In the older versions this was seamless. I did not try Topo2008 or CN2009 NT which I also have. For now I'm going to stick with v6.13.7 as there really doesn't seem to be any real upside to the new interface.
  12. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    I'll check for you. I do have CN 08 NT, CS v7, and R&R 4.0

Daev
  13. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garmin did change how they handle map the maps and some third party maps will need to be updated to support this (mine were in that situation).

I, too, dislike the new look and poor performance. Even more so is the way certain roads are no longer shown correctly, when compared to the old version. Hopefully they can fix the performance and tweak the display to meet the level of features in the previous version.

The Garmin Mac/Bobcat thread has a similar discussion on the new look (the Mac software and this new MapSource display the maps in the same way).
  14. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    OK - even with CN NT, it's a bit of a pig.

Me no likey.

I'm downgrading.

Dave
  15. brfinley

brfinley Brooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a pig. Redraw after pan or zoom is painful and ugly. Also, if you try to alter a route by dragging a segment, it only works occasionally. It worked flawlessly in the prior version.

I am going back to the prior version. I'm waiting for an answer from Garmin support about how to do that. Do I need to uninstall the new version, or can I just run the install file for 6.13.7 again?
  16. PbdBlue

PbdBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded the file from the site Christian directed me to. Ran it and it reinstalled over v6.14.1 no problem. No need to uninstall.
  17. brfinley

brfinley Brooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK it's gone. I just ran an older installation file. What a relief to be rid of that beast and have responsive software back. Garmin should be embarrassed about this. It also makes me worry that they are going for looks of function. Give me lean, mean, and clean.
  18. PbdBlue

PbdBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I filed a tech support request stating that I was unhappy with it and asking how to get a copy of the older software. They referred me to the same site Christian posted. Maybe if they get enough bad reports they'll get the message. I've heard rumor that Garmin monitors this forum but I don't know if there's any truth to that. Let's hope they wake up on this one!
  19. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. It works fine on my laptop, but it has a couple of gigs of memory and pretty good video. Screen refreshes are good and all my existing mapsets all load. I have CN NT 2008 and 2009, Topo 2008, and a Baja Expeditioner sample.

Looks to me like they made the maps look more like they do in the Mac version of Mapsource.
  20. Eurastus

Eurastus Hej på dej!!

Oddometer:
    Yup. Like the rest of you, I "downgraded" back to 6.13.7 after suffering through a few days of super-slow screen refreshes with 6.14.1.

I don't mind the new map look; some of the small trails and 4x4 roads in the various Topo maps are definitely easier to distinguish from the topo lines themselves.

Here's to hoping that Garmin can make a few code optimizations and get it right for 6.14.2.