My Lame Adventure (In Comparison to the Rest of You!)...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RAAD, Feb 10, 2011.

1. RAAD

RAAD with Pierre LaCarve

Oddometer:
    Every year I try to make it to Americade in the Adirondack Mountains of NY, and work always seems to come calling every June during that same week...so needless to say I almost never make it. Last year I finally got a few days up there and although it's not a great adventure like most of what I read on this forum, it was fun and since all of us love pictures of landscapes, motorcycles, and landscapes with motorcycles in them I thought I'd post some pics.

Here's my Bonneville SE packed and ready to roll. Gas is topped off, tires are at correct pressure, and new oil's in the engine. I'd been riding cruisers for 15 years prior to my SE, and now I'm loving standards and adventure-touring bikes. There may even be a new Tiger 800 in my future.. we'll see.
    [​IMG]

About an hour into the trip I couldn't help but stop at OCC. No I'm not a fan of these guys, and yes I wouldn't have minded scrapping with the dad or his son, but I had to see what all the hoopla was about. I wasn't impressed and the rain clouds were looming so I got out of there.
    [​IMG]

Three hours of cold rain ensued and it was nice to finally pull up to the cabin and relax by the warm fire.
    [​IMG]

Over the next two days I had a blast.

Lake George is slightly visible in the background.
    [​IMG]

I love splitting my own firewood.. and the guy who did this is my F'n hero!
    [​IMG]

This looked like a nice place to stop...
    [​IMG]

....and challenge the cycle gods!
    [​IMG]

Triumph old and new. The poor old lady living in the house came out thinking I wanted to buy it. Sorry lady, mine leaks enough as it is!
    [​IMG]

Scenic landscapes along the eastern side of Lake George. I believe I saw Frodo and Sam up there somewhere.
    [​IMG]

We can all use someone looking over us while on two wheels. As soon as I snapped this picture a Harley dude came walking out of the bushes all pissed off saying, "Dude, did you really snap a picture of me pissing in the bushes?".
    [​IMG]

This looked like a nice place to catch a snooze...
    [​IMG]

....and make a collect call to the wife!
    [​IMG]

As with all good things, this one had to come to an end too. I was planning on 4 or 5 days upstate but work came calling as it always does, and I headed home on the evening of the second day.
    [​IMG]

Like I said, I know this isn't some great adventure.. I'm just a fan of the site and thought I'd share the pics.

RAAD
  2. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh this is sooo lame. I like it but all reports have their lameness and they turn out great. Keep on posting.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks good like a good ride.. So what exactly does OCC sell in that glass palace besides caps, t-shirts and stickers?
  4. RAAD

RAAD with Pierre LaCarve

Oddometer:
    Pretty much just caps, t-shirts... and stickers! They had about a dozen of their production choppers on the floor and even with $30K price tags there were a few people talking to salesman about them. I gotta say though that I did enjoy walking around the shop because the border is lined with all their theme bikes from the show which are fun to look at. Around the side of the building you can go in and watch them work but I didn't bother to do that. I had heard they became an official Ducati dealer so I was hoping to see some there but I didn't see any. Oh well...

Thanks for checkin' out the report.

RAAD
  5. Christian RA40XT

Christian RA40XT Don't Panic!

Oddometer:
    hehe... I Like this one :D
  6. scooterGdawg

scooterGdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nothing wrong with the report dude....
  7. RiverRatRider13

RiverRatRider13 Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer:
    I know right where that little quartry pond is! it is too bad this years americade was kinda a wash out! It was my first year in the area and my first trip to the gathering and wow what a zoo!!! It was fun watching the bikes though, everyone you could ever imagine! I even saw a duke 2 one of the bikes I have wanted for years. I think I will be making the trek up again this year but camping in the area so I can get the whole experience hahaha
  8. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report, your funny.:freaky
  9. Avocet

Avocet Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I passed through Lake George last Spring on my way back from a quick trip to Maine, and I had totally forgotten that Americade was going on. I crossed Lake Champlaine on the ferry and it was totally filled with bikes, which was a clue that something was going on. The town was packed to the point where it took around an hour and a half to go through on the main street.

I had been thinking of stopping there for the night, but of course there were no vacancies anywhere, so I decided to head home to Long Island. I found myself behind a pair of Goldwings pulling trailers south on Rt 22, at a rediculously slow pace. They were weaving around and clearly having problems handling the trailers, so I decided to pass them and got the first speeding ticket I've had in around 35 years (in the town of Hebron). The officer was as nice as could be, under the circumstances, and said they were out in force during Americade due to the heavy bike traffic. Watch out for them next year. Personally I don't like the crowd and will avoid the place in the future.
  10. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good report to me. Anything with a bike and scenery is better than almost anything else. Keep on posting.
  11. zandesiro

zandesiro In rust we trust....

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing with us....!!!:clap
  12. melsman

melsman Great White North GS'r

Oddometer:
    Hey buddy, next time park the bike on the church porch. You' get a bigger Blessing. Yeh!:D
  13. RAAD

RAAD with Pierre LaCarve

Oddometer:

Yeah I'm not too much a fan of the crowds, but I love bikes so I like to keep to the outskirts of Americade. If I'm up there for more than just a couple days I'll hit town once just to do it, but I just like to get out on the mountain roads. And yes from what I've heard the cops have been pretty tough the past few years.

Anyway guys, thanks for viewing.. maybe I'll try taking the Bonnie off the beaten path and come up with a ride report worthy of this awesome forum.
  14. blues bob

blues bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about Atlantic to Pacific on dirt?:roflI ride an FJR1300 on dirt, with the wife, regularly. It' not partial to washboard though.
  15. woodschip

woodschip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anything with a Triumph associated has to be GOOD!:clap Glad you ride a bike that looks like a real motorcycle :thumbup (my .02 worth). Happy trails to you my friend. :D WOODSCHIP
  16. De Eee

De Eee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Triumph!

OCC? Sr. get over it. That is your family.
  17. RAAD

RAAD with Pierre LaCarve

Oddometer:
    I hadn't watched the show in years and I put an episode on this season (Sr vs Jr). Man I was shocked to see what has happened to the family. Kind of a shame.. but that what's reality tv does to families.
  18. KeithTurk

KeithTurk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The father is a PURE ass.... the son is a Talented ass... and Vinny rocks... as does Rick.... the show simply devolved...

The ride report reminds me of mine.... I don't travel to Belize or check out Myan ruins.... but your report was a fun read.... I agree keep on posting
  19. trapperdick

trapperdick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As far as OCC goes I think it's all a bunch of crap just to get ratings,,,,it's not working for me. Your report was great !! Not everybody can just take off and go to the Baja...I'm one who can't. It's nice to see someone in the same boat making the best of it....I'd be willing to bet there are others in here as well...........td :1drink
  20. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the saddle bags, who makes them ?
    The seat looks like a Corbin Gunfighter model, correct ?

I ride an o5 Triumph T100 orange/cream combo and think your saddle bags would look great on my bike.