Is it the bike or the rider?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by C-Stain, Apr 1, 2011.

1. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

:loco
  2. willierides

willierides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "There are skilful fast rider's, on ds, sports bike's, cruiser's, super motos, scooter's, moped's. "

Um...for some it's just a fun past time. Doesn't have to be all or nothing. I can ride fast, but don't always choose to. I can drive my car, safely in my estimation, MUCH faster than I choose to drive. Not because of the law as much as for my own state of mind. I don't need to be on the edge to enjoy my riding. Fast and skillful don't have to go hand in hand. Just sayin'. I leave my racing on the track.

I figure if I'm going too slow for you, pass me. If you can't get around me, then evidently I'm not going too slow. I wear what I want, not what others think I should wear. I ride what I want, at whatever speed I want and do not do anything to infringe on others' rights to do the same. I don't like large "organized" rides that keep everyone in one big group. I did one once and bailed out at the first opportunity. But I don't begrudge those that enjoy that kind of thing. If you can't avoid them or get away from them and get all stressed and pissed off, well, I don't even know what to say. I've lived long enough to realize that I'm not stressing over stuff like that.

Phew...guess I should go back to lurking! :1drink
  3. Benc1985

Benc1985 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At 0:16 we can clearly see that the rider is a member of this forum :lol3
  4. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

I think this guy shows a tremendous amout of skill in this video. Brake, throttle and clutch control, balance. His level of control, I think, exhibits an intimate relationship with his bike, and impressed me. I might be able to do that on my TW 200 if I had a trip or two around the course, I for sure couldn't do that on a big cruiser.

Cops do spend a lot of time on their bikes in traffic so good handling skills in tight quarters is to be expected, but my guess is he ranks high amoung his peers in this type of riding, and I believe those skills do make one safer in their everyday riding, whether in traffic or out on the open road.

I have recently purchased a Harley and have been unable to get excited about putting it on the road. I don't want to be thought of as the stereotypical Harley guy. I will ride it soon and will wear the same gear I wear on the KLR or the BMW. I know it will idle, so I won't have to constantly blip the throttle at red lights, maybe I can slip by unnoticed in my full face helmet.
  5. Myopic

Myopic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think decades ago, it was the bike because of the riders. People wouldn't ride HD because of the culture associated with HD.

For the most part, bikers don't really care what you ride and are happy there are other bikes on the road.

On a sidenote, don't some Harley Davidsons have Japanese carbs? just sayin..
  6. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:
    I've given the subject some (not a great deal) thought and as close as I can figure the douchebags, dildos, asshats, etc... that give any group of riders a bad image are the ones who join the group not for any particular love of riding or true desire to ride, but instead seek to be a member to gain social acceptance.

It doesn't matter if the group is cruiser riders, squids or dirtbikes. These fringe members are so intent on fitting in and gaining popularity they take on the most extreme behaviour they see as defining the group.

As an example. One of the behaviours that defines the adventure rider group (the ingroup) is to show some disdain for those who ride less capable (more narrowly focused) bikes (the outgroup). I'd say that is normal and healthy as it helps define the group and gives it boundaries. But when the fringe individual comes along, hungry for acceptance by the ingroup, that mild disdain becomes a tool and is exaggerated to the extreme. It's a way for the individual to send the message to his chosen group, "Hey! Look at me! I accept and will loudly proclaim the group's values! Accept me as a member!".

I've actually caught more crap from squids than any other group. I mostly ride a DR650... for some reason they feel the need to rag on me because I'm not on a liter class sportbike, can't wheelie at 80mph and don't have a mowhawk glued to my lid... But it's the same deal. By ragging on me they hope to gain the acceptance of their ingroup.
  7. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Its always the rider....the bike is just the unforunate pawn.
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "they" who? Way to mow down the masses with your free flying generalization.

So this "more miles on it in a month" thing... Is that every month or did you just happen to take a month long trip one time and thought you would toss it out there as an ignorance based slam to other riders you feel are beneath you?
  9. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bmw video had some of the most annoying camera work i've ever seen. 90% it showed everything but the subject, those dual sport filmers are the worst.

the riders are total squids too, this one doesn't even have a ff helmet:
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/btRvVLA0KzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

furthermore, I'd be willing to bet large money not a single person on this site can ride a Harly to its full potential.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fqgwo_WdyRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Well, it is always the rider, how and where he chooses to ride that makes him a jerk. Maybe the fundamental issue is that this is a forum oriented toward adventure riders (or at least that is what the title implies.) Now much of the talk, especially in &#8220;The Perfect Line&#8230;&#8221; is not focused on problems that serious travellers face in riding, but people posting about cruisers; and cruisers, with at least one Harley dealer among them, posting back in self-defense, for brand promotion or just to hear the keyboard rattle.

Coming back from a couple of days ride last night I passed at least two events where cruisers, pirates and especially HD fans would have been more than welcome. I doubt that the people at either of those events shared an &#8220;unfortunate&#8221; disdain. I expect that anyone who wanted to stop and talk GS at one of those events would get the same reaction as the pirate who can't quit talking Harley does here. So we are not all cut from the same leather and it is foolish to think that we are.

Sadly these forums are as easy to ride as tarmac and anyone with two wheels and a keyboard can make tracks here. That is the true freedom of the road, to go anywhere technology can carry you. But if on your travels you drop a kick stand in Pittsburg one day and start talking about how great the Packers are, expect someone to disagree with you.

Gotta go now. I have enough sand on my bike to start a glass factory and it needs a wash.
  11. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    Little touchy about this are we? It's not good to make assumptions, but I will clarify so you don't have to.

"They" being the posers who have a 5 year old bike with 1500 miles on it. Their idea of a ride is to the local bar in their pirate costume to rev their engine and pose. Or to ride their blinged out sport bike a mile to Starbucks to hang out and look cool.

I have no problem with 99% of the people I meet on bikes, no matter what flavor of bike they are riding. I welcome anyone regardless of their ride and am welcomed by 99% of them as well. I am commenting towards that 1% of every group who have a comment about other people's choice of bikes, gear, riding style, tires, you name it. Although the number of people in this category is relatively small there are enough that you will find one in every group.

As for mileage, I rarely get to take more than a 3 or 4 day ride, and even then only a couple of times a year, so I get my mileage 50-100 miles at a time. I don't commute on my bike (1/2 mile so I walk), but I do ride year round and take advantage of any chance I get to ride. Between my bikes, I put over 12,000 miles on them last year. By no means do I consider this a large number or think it makes me better than anyone, there are people on this board who do 5 times that or more per year. I am simply saying that there are people who have garage queens that very rarely ride, yet feel the need to comment on other people and their choices.

Tim
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Not touchy at all... Thank you for the clarification. We agree more than you can possibly know. The 'Image Sheep' make me :lol3
  13. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    :beer
  14. Tucson Jim

Tucson Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bikes are pretty much the same, motor and two wheels, it's the personalities that screw things up.
  15. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    Just have to add, I ride with Patriot Guard Riders every chance I get. Those people are 100% good people, nobody cares what you ride or wear there! It is all about respect and the purpose behind the ride. I feel honored to be allowed to ride with them, real life modern day heroes! Why can't we all be like that?

Tim
  16. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    It's totally the rider IMHO.

THe problem is that certain types of people (riders) are attracted to certain machines. :dunno
  17. easyrider88

easyrider88 POsIng PrO

Oddometer:
    jim,i remember what a friend said when i sold my HD ultra.you bought a CROTCH ROCKET.he was refering to my 1997 triumph trophy 1200.we shared alot of cruising miles over 4 years.BUT.ive had 13 bikes over 41 years.loved every one of them.some were cruisers.some were sportier.2 BMWs,3 HDs,a triumph,BSA a couple yamahas,bridgestone.even rode ahh,3 HONDAs.the best one.probably #14.onward and upward.every bike has its own personality.and i love listening to the debate on ADVrider.
  18. detailer57

detailer57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is the rider and the persona they want to eminate. I currently ride two bikes. Here is comes, A HARLEY Superglide, and a SUZUKI DR650. I do not ride with any "group" I did, but when they group became so large, is was no longer safe, I realized that the few folks I rode with often were more like me. Now a "group" is 3 or 5. I do not like being associated with the bad ass poser crew. I bought my bikes becsuse that is what I like. I am 53 and have ridden many types styles. In the older days, my Z1 would stand right up on the rear. I would not even think of doing that with my HD. My Suzuki is plenty of fun. I have met more "good folks" on my Suzuki then on my HD.
    I also notice they same type of rider that waves when I am on my HD does not wave when I am on my Suzuki.....hmmmmmmm:eek1

Lets just ride. DAMNIT:clap
  19. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you mean emanate or emulate?
  20. detailer57

detailer57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You passed the test....emulate......good job:lol3