2013 mexican 1000 ktm 640 adv build

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Maineroot, Sep 7, 2012.

1. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    The claim is that they don't reflect as it was explained to me but like someone mentioned, easily fixed with reflective tape.
  2. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Looks good so far, that 640 is going to be bomber! You reminded me that I need to get a seat for my 690:lol3
  3. Maineroot

Maineroot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get in touch with Lendon at Seat Concepts. Tell him I sent you! These things will change your life. I have one on my 200 XC and could not be happier. It's amazing.
  4. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Thanks but I've had great luck with Renazco over the years and I don't feel like taking a chance when I have a sure thing. Did 5000 miles in 8 days riding my 640 ADV through Alaska and my rear end was totally happy:lol3

Rode a 200 last week in anger, what an amazing little motorcycle. It was a mtn bike with wheels:lol3
  5. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    I'm putting on a SCOTTS stabilizer because I already own one. It has not let me down over the years- so I'm going to mount it up to the 640.

Unfortunately, you have to do a fair amount of modification to the STOCK triple clamp in order to make it fit. The other option is to buy a setup from SCOTT's that is addresses all the clearance issues. This includes a new top triple clamp.

I went for the SUB MOUNT.

Since I had the forks pulled off for maintenance, it was really easy to take the top triple clamp off. Make sure you first secure the LOWER triple clamp to the frame. Otherwise, when you loosen the head bolt, the whole assemble will hit the floor.

Once you have unbolteded the top triple clamp, you need to disconnect the ignition- just follow the plug to the right side of the shroud. Undo the cable guide thingey as well. Now you are free.

Flip it over and- using a dremel tool, cut a slot in both of the bolt heads that hold the ignition assembly onto the stock triple clamp.

[​IMG]

Using a GOOD screwdriver, get it out ASAP. The heat from the grinding helps loosen the loctite.

[​IMG]

Next you need to cut down the steering stop. I used a dremel to get the line cut, and then finished with a hacksaw. The idea is to give the FRAME CLAMP enough room to seat on the steering stem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Following the directions from SCOTT's is very easy. Ultimately, you want the frame clamp to seat onto the steering tube so it sits flush with the bearing surface. Mine fit right on, no need for any filing etc.

Next step is to slide the fork tubes back into place and line everything up. Since I was sent the WRONG length fork springs, I'll have to wait until next week to perform this.

This is a VERY easy install. Do not get flustered by the fact that you have to do some cutting and grinding.

GETTING CLOSER!!!!
  6. Maineroot

Oddometer:

I think that both are GREAT products built in quality materials- but SEAT CONCEPTS is about half the price and turnaround in less than a week.

That was incredible getting the seat back so fast.

We can compare rear ends at the end of the race and determine who's did better!
  7. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:

tmi
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Good Stuff so far...
  9. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Only after a few drinks:lol3. I've never waited that long but I can see why you're in a hurry, we're racing in April:lol3 Looks good so far, nice work!
  10. klatelm

klatelm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

With all due respect, why would n't you build up a 530 or an ex Dakaro bike? Cutting that bike up is kinda like taking a sawzall to a 1957 Oval window Volkswagen and making into a baja bug. Don't get me wrong I'm American and I like hot rodding shit. Maybe I'm jealous of such a beautiful bike.
  11. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    I'm not cutting it up, just adding to it! Most of the mods have to do with ERGONOMICS ( I'm 6'3"). (Pegs, Bars, Seat).

Springing the bikes suspension is the 1st thing that needed to be done in order for it to work properly (I'm 210#). An undersprung bike rides like crap.

I already own a Stabilizer- so just needed to mount the tower (that's the only piece that was cut.) Running a bike in Baja without a stabilizer is like wrestling a bull by the horns for 1000+ miles. I did it last year, and wont do it again.

What else... the CARB. The BST stocker made the bike run like a moped. The FCR41 Carb makes it a real gravel scratcher.

I rode a 530 last year and got passed like I was standing still by guys on 640's on most of the course. The 530 was a GREAT bike, but the 640 has the fuel capacity and engine oomph to take my sorry rear end to the finish in comfort and reliability.
  12. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    I replaced the stock chain block (it was more like a plastic shroud..) with a trick unit from BRP.

[​IMG]

The unit is for a '05-08 Husaberg. The bolt pattern fits perfect- so it fits right on.

[​IMG]

It took EXACTLY one Modelo to install this. That includes the walk from the kitchen to the garage. 3 bolts out, 3 bolts in with threadlocker. DONE.

[​IMG]
  13. klatelm

klatelm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's new???????????????
    I have me sons bike 95% done!!!
    I still have two 640 for sale
  15. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    @BAJADAD-

When are we going to get our hands on some roadbooks and ICO setups? Let me know- I'm ready to mount it up and start some training.

Been riding the Texas Enduro Circuit with El Spiderman. 2 more races and we have the season wrapped up. Need to log some time on the BIG BIKE.

Let me know.
  16. biensur22

biensur22 litigious poster

Oddometer:
    *Subscribed*

I just picked up a 1998 620 Adv and hope to ride the M1k as well. Good luck!
  17. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good !!!!
    where did you find it ??
  18. biensur22

Oddometer:
    It's got an odd provenance in the SD area, but I picked it up from a fellow SD adventure rider (local forum) in El Centro, CA. It's been registered non-op since 2000, so I've got some work to do to get it up to snuff. It runs well, very well; I just don't want any problems with parts that have degraded from sitting for 12 years.
  19. Goofy Footer

Goofy Footer Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. biensur22

Oddometer:
    what's your plan for the roadbook mount? are you gonna strap GPS to it as well or use a ram mount off the bars?