Ride height S, R Standard?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by FakeName, Feb 2, 2013.

1. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect it's not homosexualed for the abs bikes.

Homoglated, whatever.
  2. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is true if referring to ergonomics
    however
    if I may offer a hyperbolic allegory
    a Razor side by side handles 100% better than an electric wheel chair
    just because a handicapped driver is more capable in the wheelchair does not make the wheelchair handle 100% better

I was referring to motorcycle geometry factors relative to ride height within the designed range
    to illustrate :
    Green lines represent range of motion of the incorrectly modified (lowered version) affecting geometry
    Blue lines represent relative range of motion in the intended design (S version) affecting geometry
    in relation to the red baseline reference

[​IMG]
    the blue lines represent known race winning geometry factors
    the green lines represent a sucky band aid for marketing strategy

as the swingarm moves past the red baseline as with the green lines, gravity forces the swingarm pivot point down instead of being neutralized by the mechanical motion of upward swing, this causes even more range of travel of the rake at an undesirable angle causing even more instability than just negative sag alone

in order to lower the motorcycle and maintain optimum geometry, one would have to relocate the pivot point of the swingarm in the frame
    the lowered version still works OK it is just not good
  3. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    length of ABS wiring ?
  4. Deviant666

Deviant666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rs of 2009 and 2010 is the tallest suspension ever offered along with certain S years of the 9xxs...
  5. Deviant666

Oddometer:
    More than enough, I have a 2009 white converted to R and nothing needed to be changed...
  6. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    First person,"I can't wait for tomorrow!"

second person, "Why?"

First person, Because I get better looking everyday!":rofl
  7. 990s

990s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because of the higher center of gravity and long suspension travel. The abs system is calculated for 210 mm suspension travel. The old abs brain cant distinguish good enough between to long suspension travel, and the bike turning over its own front wheel under certain hard braking circumstances. Eg: Panic braking just after acceleration, the abs might "thinks" the bike turns over because it "feels" movement that is programmed to be dangerous, and it responds with lowering brake pressure to avoid bike turnover.
    The more modern system of the 1190 can cope with 230 mm susp travel on the R model, but KTM wont allow wheel swapping between the two 1190 models for the same reasons i have tried to explain here
  8. FakeName

Oddometer:
    So the abs uses input other than simple wheel speed?
  9. 990s

990s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No on 990 Only wheel sensor front and back. Abs Brain is tested and programmed for movement of a chassis of 210 mm suspension. (Along with tires, wheels, brake pads etc etc). When you change one parameter, for example suspension travel, the mathemathic dont match anymore.

Sorry for my english..
  10. FakeName

Oddometer:
    Better than my Nyorsk or Bokmål. :D

Please help me understand. If the abs only senses wheel speed, how can suspension height become a factor? And off road the suspension is very dynamic as is terrain and traction.

How does the abs react to such a dynamic environment in a way that suspension travel might impair its effectiveness?

(This is the Internet, and I want to be clear- I'm not arguing, I'm trying to learn. Tusen Takk)
  11. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    I can see how a change in center of gravity might be used in in calculations to modulate braking force of the wheels if there were other sensor inputs to the ABS unit. Are there other inputs (rpm, lean angle, transmission gear, throttle opening, etc.)? As far as I know there are none other than the two streams of pulses from the front and rear wheel.
  12. Deviant666

Oddometer:

That is good in theory, in practice my 2009 990 with 265mm (R) of travel engages ABS very well....at least well enough to save my ass in several occasions...I ve gotten used to how my brakes work, right or wrong, I know their limits and ride accordingly...
  13. 990s

990s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Takk igjen!
    Yes this is the internet so take my words for what it is!!

The center of gravity matter very much. Think of it as a weightarm trying to turn your bike around the front wheel during braking. The higher c.o.g the stronger its get with the same amount of power.( harley chopper compared to a sportmotorcycle comes to mind) Think also about the time of weight transfer from rear to front wheel when you are braking. The longer the suspensiontravel, the longer it takes for the weight to transfer to the front wheel. Eg you driving happily along at a certain speed. Weight distrubution is say 50/50 front and back. Suddenly you grab the front brake only. The front wheel and unsprung weight will immediately start braking as much as 50 percent (and abs) of the weight allows. The sprung weight however will happily go unbraked along ,starting loading up the front suspension until equilibrium is achived. The weight distrubution might now be 100 percent front, depending of tyre to ground friction who is raising along with weight beeing pushed to the front. To comlicate things further, ground friction may not be the same during the braking,(water, oil,sand etc) and even driver(and passenger luggage) may skid, changing weight distrubition. All this must the abs cope with in addition to avoid wheel skidding, front salto with safe margins on its (our) side, always applying maximum brake force. No easy task !
    990 uses bosch/brembo m8 system only getting info from sensors front and back wheel.
    Brake line pressure is already worked out by the factorys by testing and testing and more testing, programming the brain with mathematic algorytmics corresponding with parameters they have on bike tested. Changing susp travel/c.o.g from tested values, f.. Up the programmed behaviour. This may be real dangerous when you need the safety of abs brakes the most!!

I guess people who has made this move will tell you its works very well. But again there might be someone who is not able to tell you about their experiences.
    Personally i wouldnt take that risk, but thats my view.

Some reading: (its the more modern m9 system, but you can seek more info)
    http://www.bosch-motorcycle.com/en/...er/abs_mehrwertfunktionen_1/base_seite_4.html

By the way i got 245 mm suspension on my bike, for me its the best compromise. But I am not that attractive:ear
  14. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    This is the point I was trying to make. From the front/rear sensors you can calculate (approximately) acceleration / deceleration if you ignore wheel slippage, but you need other sensor input to make the calculations accurate enough where a 45 mm height change would likely be significant. For example, lean angle would be very useful in such calculations.

990, good link to the Bosch systems. I have never been accused of being attractive. :D