Burl's Ride -- Terlingua Dualsport ride 2006

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Chadleys1, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Surrounded by the rugged beauty of the Chisos Mountains in Study Butte Texas, which is way west and very close to Mexico and Big Bend National Park, I was one happy camper as I rolled into the first day rider's meeting.
    The ride boss Steve Smith spoke a little about the history of this ride at the meeting, which took place at 8 AM on Saturday, November 11 2006. I was glad of this, because it was my first time to attend the ride, and my first time to ride my newish 2006 Husqvarna TE610 off road in the desert. I was absolutely thrilled about being there and enjoying every minute.
    [​IMG]
    He smiled when referring to the long official name of the ride, the TRH / AMA / Suzuki National Dualsport Ride, and told us that the guys who have been around for a while call it Burl's Ride, after it's originator, Burl Hughes. Burl, due to failing health, was not able to fulfill his usual ride boss role, but was helping out as much as he could and was there with us at the ride meeting. It was obvious that the ornery looking group of well over 100 riders held Burl and Steve in very high regard, and although everyone there was probably itching to hit the desert on this picture perfect morning of a little over 60 degrees F with whispy clouds on blue skies, everyone listened closely throughout the meeting. The mutual respect of this bunch was contagious and I could tell everyone was happy to be there.
  2. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    Because I arrived late the night before, I wasn't quite ready to head out with the big groups.
    I scarfed down a giant breakfast burrito which had potatoes, about 3 eggs, pinto beans, chorizo, bacon, and pico degallo in it. Like any good Texan, I topped that with a generous helping of hot sauce. The reason I am telling about my breakfast is so I can mention the 6 foot red headed pink cowboy hatted "Kathy the Kosmic Kowgirl" who prepared the taco. She was the greatest and also the first of the locals to tell me it would take "15 minutes" for something that should only take 1 minute. I think that was the local people's way of letting the city folk know that they will not be hurried. No picture, damn.
    I finished up installing some one way valved and filtered vent lines onto the Keihin FCRMX carb which came on my new Husky, oiled the filter and chain, and I was ready to go!
    I rode alone out into the desert, armed with my Garmin 76CSx and a freshly cut and taped rollchart masterfully prepared by "Teeds" and crew.
    I was more than pumped, I was whooping in my helmet.
    [​IMG]
  3. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    The riding was awesome.
    I wish I had some action shots.
    [​IMG]
  4. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    The scenery was breathtaking. There were a couple of times I had to stop due to sensory overload. My first day in the desert was mind boggling. I was so busy trying to ride and absorb all the scenery that I barely had time to think. For me, I was giving new meaning to the term; "in the moment."
    [​IMG]
  5. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    There were so many little things that I saw I could not possibly write about or take pictures of them all. It was one of the best days of riding I had ever done. There were lots of different surfaces to ride on from large rocks to the softest sand I had ever seen, it was like tan baby powder.

The next morning, I heard one of the more experienced riders sharing his philosophy on riding in the desert with what I took to be a desert noob like myself. He explained to the noob, about having to haul ass so you can float above the soft sand without sinking, and that if you plow, you are done. He then developed this statement into an entire theory of riding in which all rocks are sand no matter how big they are; "They are JUST BIG SAND" At this point I start cracking up and, aware that there are now several of us listening, the desert rat exclaims; " you know how to make it over sand, its the same for big sand, you just have to HAUL ASS over it!!"
    I wasn't able to put that theory into use until the second day, but I did OK for my first day in the new environment. I had many close calls. Several goofball moments, and a couple that were to me, heroic. hahaha
    [​IMG]
  6. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    After a great day of riding, I made it to my Cabin at the Chisos Mountain Mining Company Motel about 5 PM. I had big plans to get cleaned up and go out to eat, hear some weird live music, desert style, and maybe find my own "desert rose." I hung out with some fellow riders out in front of the cabins for a while, but then I figured I would cut and tape the next days roll charts before I headed out on the town (town?) After taping the chart, and drinking a Budweiser my eyes got heavy, the next thing I remember is being awakened by a coyote pack that sounded like it was at my door at about 4:30AM, and then after that at 6 when the alarm went off. I guess I was a little more worn out than I thought.
    [​IMG]
  7. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    The next day, I was much more social and decided I would ride with one of the smaller groups instead of alone. I wanted to get some action photos, but when it came down to it, I lacked the discipline to stop the fun of riding and get set up to take the photos. Damn!
    As I was eating morning number 2's giant burrito, I met an ADV'er, and fellow TE610 owner that goes by "Magus" on this board. I decided I would ride with his group, and hang back out of their dustcloud so I could still practice my navigating. Excellent.
    Here is a pic of Dave(Magus) standing next to our bikes.
    [​IMG]
  8. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    The group riding was great!
    Day 2's trails were more technical and much more challenging than the first day's.
    My favorite section was a 2 mile stretch called "the wash."
    It was mainly deep soft powdery sand that had different layers and sizes of rocks interspersed throughout. You had to keep up a decent clip, or it would become much harder to ride through.

pic of most of day 2's group
    [​IMG]
  9. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    I only wrecked once, and it was sort of a chain reaction of my having to slow down on a loose rock uphill to avoid getting too close to another rider.
    It was a minor get off.
    [​IMG]
  10. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    After the great morning riding, we were lead through the very picturesque town of Lajitas, which is right on the border of Mexico to what I think was an old fishing camp house, where our lunch was being prepared.
    [​IMG]
  11. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    We ate excellent beef and chicken burritos at the old house with a spectacular edge of the canyon view of the blue green Rio Grande and sheer cliff walls. There was much great conversation and story telling during this last lunch in the desert. One more loop and it would be over.
    I wish I could have stayed another day, but did not schedule a "safety day" at work. After the last loop was over and the bike all packed up, I left Study Butte to return to Austin. I wouldn't make it home until about 1AM, but the extra drive through BigBend Park on the way was worth it.
    [​IMG]
  12. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    As the sun went down, I pulled over and snapped a photo of the sunset behind the bike that served me so well over the weekend.
    I will have to spend a few more days the next time, but I was very happy with my first desert excursion.
    [​IMG]
  14. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    Awesome photos and write up. Thanks for sharing.
    :clap
  15. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report Chadley,
    I am seriously jealous of you suthern'ers with the open sky and warm weather not to mention the beautifully rugged country to explore...

Dan
  16. Hoder

Hoder Card carrying greeny

Oddometer:
    Duuuude! I'm jealous too. I'm sitting here in flood conditions with 50mph winds & it's cold. That looked awsome!:clap
  17. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    Thanks, fellas.
    Just when I thought I had the newest, hotest, most badass dualsport model out there, look who showed up right beside me. The Aprilia twin!!
    Sadly, I didn't get a chance to see this bike in action.
    [​IMG]
  18. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful ride and pictures----looks like the Huskies are taking over. I'm about to add a TE250 to my stable in addition to my 610 for the really tight stuff.

The Big Bend area is such a great place to ride---especially when the weather turns cold for us living too far North.
  19. treysmagna

treysmagna Bald is beautiful

Oddometer:
    I just picked up my DR650 last month and would love to do this ride next year!
  20. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    My sense from your report is that this is more of a recreational ride than a very competitive race?

Or am I totally out to lunch?