Roaming Rally 2012

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    This will be the second year a group of us have put this event together.....

It's a gps navigational rally. This years route will travel across se Ontario and western Quebec. Three days of riding, camping and bench racing around a fire.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17551480#post17551480

Last year was a great time, this year looks even more promising.

Hope to see some new faces, there is still room for about a dozen more people

:freaky
  2. 4badboyz

4badboyz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Ted, is the date set yet?
  3. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Official date is June 7-10.

Here is the riders list. Make a post or drop me a PM if you want in!:freaky

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    just so I understand the time off request

leave desert lake thursday morning
    leave renfrew fri morning
    leaving somewhere quebec Saturday morning

this is where it is sketchy for me, Back to Ottawa Saturday or another location and leaving to Ottawa Sunday? Ted/Juames?
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Back to Ottawa on the Sunday. Saturday night is camping somewhere in Quebec :thumb
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Meet up with Juames the other day and we ironed out day one of the route. Waiting for confirmation from the campground that they can accommodate us.

Dates will be set before the end of the year, June 7th or 14th. A few variables that we're waiting on....

Start will be in Ontario, near a town called Desert Lake (about an hour or so north of the border).

Drfit10 volunteered to help out and planned the morning of day one. Looks like its primarily twisty, hilly gravel roads with a splash of double track. Juames and I put the afternoon together, it ends near a town called Renfrew. Primarily double track, one hydro line, a rail trail and some fun gravel roads to link them up. Total mileage for day one is just under 400 km's. If dry (and I promise at least one....maybe two..hmm..maybe three water crossings :evil ) we suspect it will take between 6-12 hours to complete. No optional tech sections on day one....we included them into the main :nod

Suspect no one will have too many issues if dry and your using knobby tires :deal

The Thursday and Friday nights are both at campgrounds.

Saturday Flanny takes over the route and will bring us into Quebec for two days and a night. The route will terminate on Sunday in or around the city of Ottawa. For those of you who don't know Flanny...he ran a bike rally business in the hills of Quebec for several years and has a ton of knowledge of the area. I'm confident we won't be disappointed.

Cost of the rally? Zero dollars, you can pay in US or Canadian :rofl

We'll likely sell some shirts and sell some decals over the winter to try and get some funds for firewood.

Same format as last year, all we do is provide a suggested route. It's up to wether you follow it or not. If you do we take zero responsibility :deal

We'll pre run the route a week or two before to enure it's "doable". Consideration will be given to the fact folks will be loaded with gear and that there is a wide range of skill levels. We are aiming at making it fun for intermediate level riders, this is pretty subjective but the best we can come up with. Like last year we'll provide a waypoint and a cut off time, aka if you reach wp4 and it's after 3pm take the highway to the nights campground.

There may or may not be truck support (beer), we'll see how that works out (calling Mrs Shipwreck to the phone).

GPS files will be available before March. They'll be track (not route) files. Waypoints for gas, campgrounds and beer stores (same as last year). The download will include maps in PDF format (like last year but we'll try to add more labels, etc this time). We'll also do a short write up describing each days route, with potential hazards identified. Terrain should be similiar to last years, if it had of been dry last year it would have been a breeze. This time around we're planning for rain, if it's sunny it'll be a bonus :rofl

We aren't utilizing government run campground.....this once again means a limit will be set on how many folks can attend. Wish this wasn't the case but it is. As the campgrounds have not been 100% verified yet we need to cap the sign up list at 65 people for now. Once all the details are confirmed we may be able to extend this number.

It's not a race, it's designed to be a fun weekend of exploring new places and meeting new people. We provide the framework, you take your own risks and use your own judgement and are RESPONSIBLE for yourself :deal

My advice, plan to ride in small groups. First aid kits, tubes, tools, pumps, etc should be on all bikes :nod

Have everything you need in case of a breakdown or an accident. No one is coming to find you if you go missing :deal

Some of the terrain is relatively remote, aka you'd be walking for hours to find a road or a house. Enure your bike is mechanically sound and you know how to deal with predictable issues (flats, bike drowning, broken lever....basically all the crap that happened last year :rofl )

It promises to be another fun rally :pynd
  7. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I missed this somehow on the threads.

Anyway, I'd love to come again. Had a great time last year. Sign me up please - 450 EXC or my sweet '99 "Funduro" :evil.

Look out for the Funduro. You 950's should be quaking in your knobbies.

dc
  8. frazman

frazman Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer:
    Ted/James - put me on the list please if there is still room. AFAIK, I have no conflicts on those weekends.

Fraser
    Ontario
    F800GS
  9. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    I would love to do this on my DRZ400S.

If there is room left over, please put me down on the list. :clap
  10. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    For those in the know, here's what I got:

DLR
    Hinchinbrooke N
    lower depot lake roads to California.
    Cali to Mtn, couple of gravel over to N Beaver.
    More gravel, then Sulphide.
    Kaladar gas/food/coffee.
    T-Can trail, then Hayes down to Arden then up.
    Cross over to Bell line then to the 509.

Ted takes it from there.

This fast, fun, and more funner. Little bikes need not worry, it ain't that kind of pure speed fast. Big bores will be giggling the whole time. :D

I can add more road allowances and stuff, but for a whole gaggle, this seems to be an easy do. No matter how much it rains, there's no big water. One creek on Hayes, and Forseti does that on a Stelvio with luggage and tourances.

If you're coming up early, lemme know, I can throw a bunch more at you. Forseti, Woodgrain, ststrider, Whalen, all can too. Due to the necessary time constraints, I skipped alot, there's way more around.

There's a reason I retired to this specific place. It has some of the best riding in canuckistan, and hardly anyone seems to know it. More for me. :ricky
  11. frazman

frazman Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Lookin' forward to it! :clap
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Got an email.....Juames can we extend the list to 66?

Please ad Ubermoto, Toronto, xr650

:thumb
  13. 4badboyz

4badboyz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sounds like the 950 would be more suitable than the 525 for this route?
  14. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

bring both because on the 3rd day you'll be wishing you had the 525... really what do I know but I bet you another coffee I'm not wrong...
  15. Drif10

Oddometer:
    A wr would have a blast on this section. Kinda why I picked it this way, max fun for all.

But for a bunch of this, if you see 4th gear on a big bore, you're gonna see god. Not work, just fun.
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Video a fellow put together after last years ride

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/24412525?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/24412525">Roaming Rally, Eastern Ontario May,2011</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3590610">Nolan Watts</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  17. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

For locals....then day one jumps on the k&p rail trail, gravel roads, triple tower hydro line, gravel roads, snowmobile trail, gravel roads (Arcol), hydro dam, paved to Calabogie, k&p rail trail to campsite near Renfrew.

Fun afternoon :thumb
  18. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Like I said:

Fun. :ricky
  19. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Just spooned the e07's on the bike. Gotta test'em now. :D
  20. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Really like the design so far. We'll see how they stick.