Propane Bicycle!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by btcn, Jan 25, 2012.

1. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe slightly off topic, not really a "Scooter", but I think Y'all might find it kinda cool.

http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/product_p/jnm1205.htm

Pretty neat huh?:evil But they's outpriced them selves a little in my opinion at $795. Nobody don't gonna pay that much for no 30 MPH Moped, well maybe some but maybe $600 it'd be quite a seller!

But its frekin neat! It runs off them little propane tanks like you use on your small coleman grill or lamp you get at Sporting Goods stores. These run roughly $1-2. Should go for hours on this. Maybe more than gas maybe less depending on location but still neat as hell!

You can run these indoors for short periods of time. It may eventually produce some carbon monixde, but it'll take a long long time. I run a Propane Space Heater in my Garage and House all the time, and never have any problems. For zipping thru your living room it's doable! Won't leave the house smelling like Gas and oil and exhaust for days! Don't ask me how I know about running gas engines in the house!:lol3

But aside, its neat. No need for fill ups, just grab them little thangs and go! Ideal for the back of a traylor or RV.

This concept started with Goped using a similar or maybe same engine on a certain model of Go Kart and Scooter.

What do Y'all think?
  2. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    At that price, I think I'd rather just... you know... ride a bike. Manually. While *ACTUALLY* saving the environment. :clap
  3. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    My luck I would run out of propane 10 miles downhill from the closest hardware store. The concept is good and if they made it run on methane and supplied the rider with rubber undies with a tube attached to the intake manifold you could ride the world on bean & pickled egg power.
  4. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    people will pay it, people pay that much for electric bicycles lol
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Is that price just for the motor?
  6. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Nope, the whole bicycle and motor.

Yea I think some will pay it. WAY better than electric. Bring 3 propane bottles and you'll be fine all day. I believe one can will go for about 2 hours. Actually not cost efficient, more expensive than gas, but still neat. If your going a very short distance into town, its pretty nice. Propane don't go bad as fast as gas neither. And you'll hardly have to worry about clogged jets! Lots of pluses and minuses.

I wouldn't never pay that much for one though. Too much. But yea some will I'm sure!

Also, they make lawn mowers, generators, Weed Wackers, Leaf Blowers, etc! All kinds of things! And nice that you can run em indoors for very short periods of time. A goped would be neat! Just scoot around your house!:lol3

But, I would be concerned about the explosiveness of propane. Its compressed gas, can be fatal in an accident.:eek1

I've been considering a Leaf Blower with Propane, there 4 strokers and only $150 would be neat for my landskaping buisness I's gonna be making. I have an old 2 stroker Echo, but its very old, been thru a flood, pull starter broke. While I'll fix it the blower'd be nice, it also has a sucker. It'll be that or a regular 4 stroke blower sucker.
  7. alphaBETAdog

alphaBETAdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can definately see the benefit of propane powered lawn equipment. Gas goes bad in my lawnmower pretty quickly as I don't need to mow that often, and the same with the 2-stroke premix weed wacker, blower, etc. Propane would be an improvement in those items for the occasional homeowner.
  8. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree. Really no real reason for a bicycle or scooter unless you have a big house that you think it'd be neat to zip around it. Or you have the money and just think its neat or convinent.

But for lawn equipment, its just great! With propane, I don't think you can get clogged carb jets, on account there is no dirt in compressed propane tanks. Also, the propane does not go bad, or if it does it takes a LONG time as far as I know. Plus less emmisions, and indoor use a little is ok, so blowing out your garage don't leave 2 stroke fumes for a week. Its also very quiet.

BUT, the only issue I can see the the explosiveness of compressed gas. Sort of the principle behind diesels, not exactly but sort of. I'd imagine if a rock or bb hit the tank off weed eater, there'd be trouble. They need to protect the tanks better, if it had a cage with full covering, it'd be just perfect.

But nice thing is the lawn stuffs quite well priced.
  9. TINGLER

TINGLER Swamp lips

Oddometer:
    Why? You can shoot one of those little cans and it won't ignite. It pops a little from pressure but does not explode in a fiery ball of flames. I wouldn't think it was anymore dangerous than a fuel tank.

I think 30mph is fast for a bicycle. I also think the price is pretty good too. There are plain bicycles that cost more. I wish their website wasn't so crappy. I'd like to know more about it.

So? Pedal your butt the rest of the way to the hardware store. :lol3

I'd like to get one and trail a little trailer behind it hauling a 20lb tank with an 8ft adapter hose attached to the engine.

I'd tour the US on that thing huggin the white line. :evil
    Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea.
  10. TINGLER

TINGLER Swamp lips

Oddometer:
  11. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    are you guys serious about gas going bad? i have never had that happen to me.

ive bought old bikes and cars that have been lying a year or two, but they always run on whats in them even though it smells awful lol

i used my lawnmower for the first time this year last week. its a 4 stroke more, but the gas in it is some 2.5 year old 2 stroke premix i found. also it has been lying all winter with said gas in it. no problems.
  12. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I hate to give you guys this dose of reality, but $795 might buy a decent used bicycle these days.:deal
  14. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha my neighbour/school friend had one of those years ago when we were like 15/16, a "Big boy" scooter it was called, i think he still has it in his garage he had a big bore kit and carb and pipe on it, i had a derestricted speedfight 50 and my mate had a honda X8r and he could keep up pretty well with us lol didnt look too safe standing on those tiny wheels though.
  15. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really? You could shoot them there tanks and they won't blow? I thought that they'd blow up into a huge ball of flames! That makes me feel better about using propane. I know what that shit can do.

And trip sounds neat! I recon 1-2 hours per tank or so don't know, a big tank would be ideal.

30 MPH isn't that fast. But its very adequet for a city or small town. My Motorized bicycle would do 35-40 MPH GPS and I though it was way to slow.
  16. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forde yea I guess your right about the gas. I've had similar experences with mowers. But still, never having gummy jets is definitly a plus nor rusted out tanks. And those gopeds are cool. Never had one had a Chinese sort of similar thing.
  17. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    but gas tanks are pressurised arent they? so if you pop a hole in them surely there would be some kind of gnarly action
  18. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Propane tanks are under a lot of pressure. It usually ranged from 100-200 PSI!:eek1 I think it'd blow up if you shot it.

Gas is very dangerous as well, but it is not pressureized, thus less explosive I'd recon, it gets pressurized in the engine.

I think its very dangrous in an accident.

But, just done looked it up and he's right.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/33060-mythbusters-exploding-propane-tank-video.htm

But, all that there shit released is still HIGHLY explosive gas, a small spark could trigger a huge explosion, but I guess its pretty hard to get thru!:deal
  19. TINGLER

TINGLER Swamp lips

Oddometer:
    Hey don't get me wrong, propane can get ugly fast if the gas gets lit. All I was saying was that a BB or a gunshot puncturing the tank won't set it on fire. It needs to be coupled with an ignition source before it lights. Now, I agree that it IS very dangerous if it gets lit, but so is a gallon of gasoline.
  20. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Tracer round?