Backpacks - motorcycle and laptop specific

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mrbreeze, Mar 16, 2015.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about picking up a backpack for occasional use carrying my work laptop on my commute via V-Strom. I would like it to be weatherproof in case I get caught in an unexpected shower. I would also like to be able to strap it to the bike easily. I would prefer to let the bike carry it rather than put it on my back, and then quickly and easily detach it from the bike when I get to work so I can wear it on the way in to my office.

On this campus you have to hike about half a mile to actually get to the your workspace... OK that may be a slight exageration, but not much.

I have panniers and top box on my bike, but I prefer the looks of the bike w/o them, so I want to be able to leave them at home.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  2. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    There's dozen of packs you could use but there's really only one go-to pack that's tried and tested and that's Kriega. Not the cheapest but almost certainly the best.
  3. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I've been using a north face surge for a few years. Not moto specific, but it has a sternum strap and a laptop compartment, as well as compression straps to keep it snug.

it's ok for 5-10 minutes of rain (when moving), and I keep a plastic bag inside to wrap my laptop if it's going to be a downpour. I used this in Rainy NC as well as here in CA.

I think I spent ~$80 on it. I know it rains in TN, but you might not need to drop so much coin on a pure MC specific item.
  4. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just about any will do, but I've never seen a better bike specific pack than a Kreiga. REALLY well designed & built.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another vote for kriega. My 13"macbook air fits perfectly in the back pocket of the R20 and the bag disappears on your back. Not waterproof so keep a trash bag in the bag for showers. Buy the best once.
  6. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    If it isn't waterproof, how is it the best?

Kriegas are nice, but they don't really do anything special some other laptop backpack can't do for short range commutes.

Backpacks aren't rocket science, and unless you have a > 45 minute commute, I wouldn't pay that price for something that isn't a turnkey (waterproof) solution, which means the R30.

Edit: If you -do- have a long range commute, a backpack will annoy you in the long run. look into some form of tail pack instead.

I'm surprised there's no nearby parking - that's usually the magic trick on all four campuses I've spent considerable time on. Or, are you trying to avoid the MC parking permit?
  7. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    ""The Kriega US-30 is 30-litre capacity 100% waterproof motorcycle tailpack. Unique design solution enables fitment can fit directly to the bike's subframe or solid mounting under the seat. The US-30 also comes equipped with removable shoulder and waist straps, so it can be carried courier style, on or off the bike""

Just checked these out last night, on my short list for a soft luggage solution.

The back pack's main inner section is a drybag, so waterproof too.
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend used an Ogio back pack for his computer when he used his bike for work.
  9. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    I commuted with my work laptop in a Kriega R30 for a while on my VStrom, but then I added Jesse panniers and just stuck my laptop bag in one of the side cases.

Keep in mind that the R30 backpack doesn't have a laptop sleeve or any cushioning to speak of. I used to ride with a Rapid Transit RPG laptop backpack which was comfortable enough, but wasn't waterproof.
  10. birdie_xx

birdie_xx Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the good suggestions.

My commute is 36 miles, if I take the shortest route (interstate). This morning it took about 50 minutes. If it was raining, it would certainly take longer - but if I KNEW it was going to rain, I would drive the car.

My DL650 Adventure has panniers and a topbox. I used the left pannier this morning to stuff the roll on bag in it.

The thing is, once the warmer weather rolls around, I want to drop the panniers and top box and commute with out them. I want to be able to lash the back down to the passenger seat, so to me, how easy it is to lash down is more important than how comfortable it is. I guess I could use a set of Rok straps for that purpose, and store them in the bag when not in use. The passenger seat would also help to cushion the lap top.

ph0rk - not sure what campuses you are referring too. There is no MC specific parking available here. I wish there was. A buddy and I who also commutes via bike have been parking at the far edge of one of the lots and making the long walk in from there...
  12. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I know you've said you want to strap the laptop to the bike. I was in the same predicament but never could really find anything that would work. I didn't particularly like the idea of a backpack because it prevented my jackets from properly venting which, in Summer, can make the ride home uncomfortable. So, I chose a messenger bag similar to this:

[​IMG]

With the shoulder strap properly adjusted, the bag will sit on the seat which allows your jacket to vent. It's waterproof (Timbuk2 Especial Claro) and it's orange (which helps to make you visible to cages behind you). I never had an issue with the bag moving around or sliding off of the seat. There are others out there but it's what worked for me. YYMV.
  13. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Octopuss is a nice French brand that makes waterproof motorcycle backpacks which can also be strapped to the bike.
    http://www.octopuss-bags.com/

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wtuPzXShWhc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iq4dmGnZQ5s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a nice weekender that's at the top of my list:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YM2fSmCkTUE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I know you said you prefer to leave the topbox home. But this a perfect reason to use it.

Safe, secure, dry, no other cost, not carrying on your back...
  15. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    and paid for 6 motorcycles ago! :clap

:lol3
  16. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Really? That's pretty messed up.

I'm talking large state schools mostly (UNC, UC-Berkeley, OKState, etc) most of which have small dedicated moto parking sprinkled all over the campus, as well as "secret spots" that are almost the same thing. UT Knoxville does, too, but I have no idea about other schools - most with student bodies over 10,000 will probably have some form of permit and dedicated spaces.

At a large state school, a motorcycle (or scooter) is the best game in town unless you're tenured faculty.

Re: rokstraps: I leave a pair on my bike, cinched down. It is a simple matter to unclip them and lengthen them to tie down a pack of some sort. Another alternative might be a Kriega US20 or 30, but I'm not sure how easy it is to leave the tie-down straps in place. A wolfman or other waterproof duffel or pack with loops for tie-downs would work, too, and if you leave the rokstraps in place you can snug down the pack pretty quickly.

I agree with above, though, that a top case is ideal here. looks a bit frumpy, but the upshot is you can lock some of your gear to the bike rather than cart it all with you.
  17. imjustin

imjustin -

Oddometer:
    I have a 13" laptop, kept in a low-profile sleeve, together with a notebook, a pencil case, my laptop charger, a small foldable umbrella, a body towel, my swimming trucks, googles and a swim cap which fits nicely into a Kriega R20 (60% full), which I take to school 40 min each way. Sits nicely on my back on my mesh jacket.

Have gotten caught in heavy rain (I live in the tropics, our downpours are BRUTAL) and so far so good.

If there's one lesson I've learned about motorcycle gear: You get what you pay for.

Cheap stuff don't come good. And good stuff don't come cheap.
    Applies to gear, helmets, bags etc.

Before my Kreiga I used a Deuter cycling backpack. It wasn't cheap either, but it worked pretty damn well. I reckon if gear was made in mind for the sweaty, ever-moving and shifting all-weather cyclist, it'd work great for a motorcyclist too. In fact, cycling-specific gear seems to have better ventilation(applies to me because I need to keep cool, not warm on a bike)

See Deuter Superbike 18 EXP. Comes with a chest and waist strap, a waterproof rain cover that is hi-viz and is pretty low-profile and casual that looks great off the bike as well.
  18. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    I have a Kreiga 15 backpack, the iPad slips into the Camelpac pocket, works great
  19. cameleopardus

cameleopardus n00b

Oddometer:
    I use a 511 12 Rush.

http://www.amazon.com/5-11-Rush-12-Back-Pack/dp/B005AG3A9C

It's comfy, durable and you can fit a lot of stuff in it.

The shoulder straps unbuckle, so it's easy to attach to a rack.
    I use the MOLLE webbing to attach other crap to it in conjunction with rok straps when I'm packing up for a camping trip.
  20. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I have cases so that I don't have to carry a backpack!!!