Belize revisited.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Animo, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a little trip in Belize. We covered 1,700km and enjoyed 80% of the Country. I rode with a good friend who had absolutely no experience on big bikes and was crazy enough to come along. We figured the highway is super straight all the way to Belize and he would gain enough comfort on the bike before crossing into Belize where the road is also pretty good all the way to Belize City. Luckily we were both right and the week we spend riding was fantastic.

As usual I didn't take as many pictures as I should have..........

[​IMG]
    We stopped just outside Tulum for some water. There was a Federale parked in the parking lot of the gas station where Angelo managed to drop the bike right behind his parked car when he stopped. I quickly helped him to get the bike back up, but unfortunately with not enough time to snap a photo, it was a classic. At least the Cop was laughing and not extorting money on that given day.

[​IMG]

It was blistering hot, so we found the biggest tree we could find for a little stop along the way.

We stopped in Bacalar for a quick lunch before heading to the border.

[​IMG]

Cenote Azul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Menonites' basic form of transport

[​IMG]

We finally crossed the border. I cannot believe we crossed with ease. Both bikes are registered in my name and I thought for sure they would not allow both bikes in, but they did. The temperature was "a mild" 42C and we almost self-combusted.

[​IMG]

The highway was free of cars as usual and we made to Belize City in one piece :lol3

[​IMG]
  2. Animo

Oddometer:
    The next morning

The next morning we rode to the Mayan Hills located about 1hr from the City.

Belize City is not a very picturesque City, I have been there many times and did not take any photos. In retrospect I should have. At any rate, we headed West for some scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode ATGATT for safety and added dehydration. We arrived at the Outpost Lodge to visit a friend and ride on but the heat was too much to take. We opted to go cave tubing in the river which is 75F year round for much needed refreshment.

[​IMG]

The tubing is on a river that travels through caves. A quick walk across the river, into the jungle and dry caves places you at the entrance of the sought after cool water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

The water looked delicious and we quickly jumped in. That was a treat! We boarded our tubes and gently floated down stream for a couple of hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scenery and water temperature was amazing, we wished the tubing could have lasted all day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then got back on the bikes and headed Northwest for some twisties in the mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up in the middle of nowhere and had to turn back as the bridge was washed off and we could not cross the river. I guess we could have, but decided we did not want to spend the night in the jungle if anything went wrong with the river crossing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ride on!
  3. ggoytia

ggoytia Mobile Fatso

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Pictures!:freaky
  4. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    Those are great pictures...........I'm riding there in Oct from Vancouver and getting excited already. Anything I should know before I leave?

Thanks......
  5. rodrut

rodrut Ride Central America

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Have a safe ride. I live in Placencia if you need anything this way. Wish I could join you. I just bought a 1200 GS but it wont arrive here for 3 weeks. Take lots of pictures. Rod
  6. Animo

Oddometer:
    Definitely bring rain gear, you will need it. Rain will come and go in squalls mostly lasting just a few kilometers at the time, but the rain will be a downpour. Good raingear and bug spray will be something you will be glad to have with you. :wink:

Just in case, PM me before you get here, I will be going back in Belize in October as well. It's a great ride, if the dates figure we can ride down there at the same time.

7. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW, i wanta go cave tubing
  8. Animo

Oddometer:
    I hope your bike arrives soon. We should hook up next time I am down there. We tried to visit Placencia last week but we never made it that far, we turned around before reaching Dandriga. I tried the time before and also didn’t make it there. But next time........

9. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do they still let you cave tube with a 6-pack of beer?
  10. Animo

Oddometer:
    The cave tubing is definitely a must do! I'm not sure if you can bring along some beer, but I do not see why not when it is as calm as when we went. The river does more pretty fast after it rains, you would definitely loose that 6 pack then :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The canoeing down the same river is pretty awesome too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:

I work on the West Coast so I know all to well about rain and working in the Logging Industry I'm live bait for all those pesky bugs. I have some Klim Gore-tex riding gear and lots of bug dope..........thanks and will let you know when I'm leaving:D
  12. Animo

Oddometer:
    Another day we went to Mennonite Country to check out their community. I could not believe how manicured it was, truly a beautiful area. The Mennonites are industrious and produce the majority of food in Belize. By the number of new bikes, cars and nice homes you can tell they are doing well.

[​IMG]

We rode on and the roads turned to gravel, the jungle disappear and the landscape turned into farmland.

[​IMG]

We came to a river and thought we had to turn back, which would have added at least 100km backtrack.

[​IMG]

To our surprise there was no bridge, but instead found a raft to cross over with.

[​IMG]

Riding the bikes on the raft was a bit tricky as the planks did not go all the way down and the raft kept swinging side to side.

[​IMG]

We finally boarded and were ready to be pulled across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guy cranked the raft across the river, definitely basic but it worked!
    [​IMG]

Only in Belize :lol3
  13. Animo

Oddometer: