12GS or Multistrada 1200

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Venture, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Venture

Venture Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for some input from folks out there that own both....

I am trying to decide on my next bike - either a 2011 12GS or MS1200.

I have been riding BMWs for the last 7 years - my first was the 2005 R12GS, and I loved that bike... it was my first "dirt bike" and I used it pretty much for anything and everything - long tours, longs day, off-roading in CA, NV, Utah, CO - serious stuff, not fire roads - deep sand, rock gardens....

It all came undone when I got a real dirt-bike and I realized how much easier it was to ride off-road than the GS.... not to mention the bill I got after launching the 12GS 10 feet in the air (my buddies still bring that one up).

Anyway - I bounced around on various bikes - G650Xch, F800GS... and I have a plated 250 that I use for the real stuff.

With the plated 250, I have found that I don't use my F800 for off-roading - and it does it's time on long tours (3500 mile trips over a couple weeks) on pavement, and the occasional fireroad. On these trips I really miss my 12GS - the big boxer was so comfy for touring.

So I decided the 8GS is not the bike for me - maybe 5 years ago, but not now - and I have been looking at going back to the 12GS, I really loved that bike for touring.

But that damn MS1200 is very interesting - for my intended uses, on paper it fits the bill...

So, all you guys with the 12GS and the MS1200 in the garage - if you had only one bike - which would it be and why?

From a touring point of view - there are BMW dealers everywhere, they can usually get parts, and they generally have a philosophy that these bikes are about touring and if you're stuck they are going to get you back on the road...

Again from a touring point of view - there aren't as many Duc dealers around in case you need to find one. And I hear horror stories about dealing with Ducati - parts taking months to arrive from Italy, barely competent mechanics, bike sitting in the shop for weeks waiting for a local Duc rep to come by to diagnose problems... Around me, most owners go to a local shop that specializes in Ducs - they say they charge less and get much better service, and mechanics that know their stuff. But how would I find that shop when I am traveling a thousand miles from home?

Now - these can all be my misperceptions.... but it seems that the MS1200 is going to be the hot redhead that is a blast to play with, but can make my life miserable when there are problems.

Am I way off base about Ducati?
  2. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I think you have a preference for BMW, don't you?
    More Italians buy the R1200GS (#1) than the Multistrada (#2), in Germany the R1200GS
    has been a besteller for years, for a reason, Multistrada sells well but not even close to the BMW numbers.
    The GS is the "Swiss Army Knife" of all motorcycles. Personally after test riding the Multistrada I'm not convinced, mostly the details, prefer the Boxer, nice low-end grunt. Multistrada needs more rpm to be happy but if you want a
    sports bike consider Italy.
  3. Venture

Venture Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tallguy - are you saying I don't come off as being objective??? :huh Yeah, I kind of got off in that direction...

The MS12 is sexy - no doubt... But my perceptions are that dealing with Ducati are less then favorable.

I am hoping to hear from the Duc owners out there - are my perceptions erred?

When you have multiple bikes - it is easy to deal with one being in the shop for weeks... when you have one bike, it is less tolerable...

So, what are your experiences with Ducati? If you had one bike - would it be the 12GS or the MS1200... not just from the perspective of which bike is better at what (this is important), but also weigh in the reliability, dealer network, service, etc... which bike would be your ONE?
  4. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    Good luck with your decission.
    If I were you and you want/can afford it I'd wait for the R 1250 GS LC :D
  5. mkletecka

mkletecka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. jcwalsh

jcwalsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I test rode them both and felt the GSA was a better fit for me physically and comfort wise. I also wanted to do the farkle thing and the GSA is a much bigger canvas.
  7. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As mkletecka stated, As similar as they are- they really are two different bikes. Take a few days and test ride- look them over very very close.

After my first test ride on the Ducati MTS 1200, "I" was sold. Period!

Others, do not prefer the riding style of my Ducati.

I have thrown over 15,000 miles on mine in 6 months of ownership. I have had issues but Ducati NA has taken care of everything. If I totalled mine tomorrow, I would probably go back and get another MTS1200. Only, this time it would be the Pikes Peak edition. :evil
  8. GoFar

GoFar My butt hurts.

Oddometer:
    I'd roll with the GS. I have neither the R12 nor the Duc, but I DO have LOT'S of experience with both makes.

Either are GREAT bikes...the Duc requires more attention. I don't care what anyone tells you, it requires more inspections and more attention. If you don't mind this, this then the Duc is awesome...If not, the GS is the way to go.

FWIW...you can't have just one...:lol3
  9. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    If you test ride both and don't wind up with a clear preference for the GS, then get the Duc. Life's too short not to try as many things as possible. If you don't like it, you'll be well positioned to buy the GS "LC" when it comes out.!
  10. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Own 'em both.

Two very different bikes.

My GS serves as a hedge against the MTS12s.

I own the GS for longer distance rides and for its ease of ownership. It just so happens to handle the twisties just fine. This is the bike I'd rather be on if caught in the rain. I love the owner and dealer network. It's a "set it and forget it" bike. It has been in production for 30yrs and there are reasons for it.

I own the MTS12s because I don't have to give up comfort while having loads of fun in the canyons. It can also do distances should I ask it to. The Ohlins DES is currently the best out there. Too many niggles in my book but it's still an incredible riding machine.

If you want more details feel free to PM me.

Take care,
  11. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think the MS1200 and the GS are in the same league. The Ducati is smaller, faster and it is not an ADV bike probably you can ride some unpaved or gravel roads but that's all the ergos on the Ducati are not for long distance and if you are a big guy you are not going to enjoy long rides also the windshield is to small for touring and deal with Ducati dealerships is a nightmare.

I don't care what people say about Ducati but they suck they are just pretty bikes

my sexy Italian nightmare & my German do it all machine
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    Riding friend has a MS1200 just added a large V-Stream to it to make it more touring friendly.

Had a few issues with it but the dealer and Ducati have made it right. All kinds of electronics on the MS, engine mapping, suspension, he didn't get the electric fuel cap, however.

The MS is much faster than my GS but has a shorter range, under 200 miles for him.
  13. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:

I got to admit, the Pikes Peak edition is hard to resist:deal:1drink
    [​IMG]
  14. kikele

kikele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about resale value? Which one is better assuming that you bought both brand new?
  15. thebigkr

thebigkr Stupid Freak

Oddometer:
    Personally, I have a 2011 R1200GSA and I have ridden the Multistrada on an extended test ride when the Ducati factory experience was in town. I fell deeply in lust over the Multistrada but as soon as I got back on my GSA I knew I had made the right decision on which bike to buy. The Multistrada was a ton of fun but I wouldn't want one as my only bike.

I wouldn't be too scared of the folks working for Ducati they treated me quite well and were a lot more fun than any of the BMW folks I've been around.

[​IMG]
  16. rebake

rebake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine had a new multi.When i asked about the seat comfort,he rated it pretty low.When i asked about changing it he said the dealer told him it would take three hours if everything went well.Think i will stick with the gs.Ed
  17. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could find a new dealer AND change the seat in less time. :lol3

It only takes a minute if they have any of the Ducati Performance seats.
  18. ADZ

ADZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I test rode both before my decision... Multi was awesome on the road with its 150hp but offroad def not, engine longevity??
    BMW have proven themselves for years in the dual sport market.. no doubt Ducati can in the future but im not being a guinea pig.
    PS i have a Duc 848 so i'm not against Ducati's...
  19. lewis_jr1

lewis_jr1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You've owned a few BMW's. You also own another bike (or more). Still more, the next one is not likely to be your last one; regardless what it is.

My vote... you've got the disposable income, try something new, and give the Ducati a go... or the new Yamaha... or a big KTM... or import something really different.

If you want an iron-butt type bike, BMW is probably what you're looking for. If you want an unusual steed for a few thousand miles a year, buy something that feels like an affair.

Every man needs a hobby, and every man should have a vice. A few times a year, its a good idea to mix them up.
  20. Starstriker

Starstriker www.transasia.se

Oddometer:
    Go Multistrada! Since you have owned so many BMW-bikes, why not try something different? You can always change your mind if you dont like it.