Yamaha FJ-09 / Tracer 900 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ColdForged, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    You must have ridden it midly, that triple 847 rips.
  2. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "guy" sounds like a typical salesman who doesn't know squat. The bags list for $400 each.

- Mark
  3. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Maybe. I'm used to 170-200 hp bikes. That could be the issue also.

He's the owner of the dealership. The Yamaha price sheets he showed me might have been dealer cost. They do treat me well there on parts.
  4. deersSlayer

deersSlayer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    'Could' be the issue?? If you want a 170+ HP bike, why are you testing a 115 HP bike? :huh That's like testing a KLR650 on a motocross track and complaining that it can't do double jumps...
  5. slowarc

slowarc Mind-Body Experiment

Oddometer:
    I have owned a few bikes. I do not recall any claiming 200hp:eek1
  6. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Did I complain? I don't recall posting I wanted another high HP bike. I like bikes. When something new comes out I usually test ride it. I've been surprised a few times by new stuff I thought would leave me cold.

I have bikes with 30 hp and bikes with 200 hp. They're all fun in their own way.

As I said. My 2 cents.
  7. biggziff

Oddometer:
    My 14 S1000RR was 193 from the factory. A few mods later it's 200. My 15 is supposed to be 198 out of the box so it should easily crack 210 once I'm done bolting shit on it.
  8. Sherpadude

Sherpadude Yamaha FJ-09 Smitten

Oddometer:
    Do you do track days with all of your high-powered bikes?
  9. basstodave

basstodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up my red FJ-09 yesterday. Traded a 2009 Versys 650 with 18k miles. Paid $7700 OTD with the first service free.
    I didn't want to deal with selling my Versys on the street. I don't have the time nor did I think I could get that much more for it. I will sell some of the farkles I kept though.
    Put 40 miles on the FJ. It is for me a pleasurable, real step up in every category compared to the Versys and much more fun than the Wee Strom that I put 30K miles on.
    I thought at 5'6" it would be a 'big bike' but it is quite manageable at stops. I'm on my toes but the bike feels so light and well balanced. I will put a fugly crash bar on it as soon as someone makes them available. SW Motech? Ordered a rear rack. Need a bar to prevent softbags from swaying. Also a radiator guard. That is all the farkling I'll need. I think. Maybe.
    I am paying $37 a month insurance in Tucson,AZ and I'm over 60.
  10. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Of course. The BMW isn't really much fun on the street and the temptation to speed or act the fool is greater than my ability to curb it. I drove the 14 around a bit on the road and took it to work a handful of times, but I think the 15 will be stripped down for track duty only.

The Duc MTS (around 170 HP with mods) is a great street machine. Gives me a thrill when I want it, but can do all day long rides, etc.

My fave bike in rotation for the last 3 years is my Ural Gear Up. 38 HP (maybe), but makes me smile every time I ride it.

The reason I tried the Yamaha was I thought I was missing my R1200GS. My buddy bought a Versys last year and I've ridden it a few times and it was pretty fun. The Yammie and I just didn't click. Happens more often than not.
  11. deersSlayer

Oddometer:
    How far upstate NY? Bring it up to the Calabogie track in Ontario.

Bike 'clicking': That makes more sense than just saying you're used to 170+ HP. :thumb
  12. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Several of my friends frequent Calabogie. They rave about it. That and Grattan are on the schedule for this year! I think they do a 2 or 3 day at Calabogie.

I'm an hour south of Syracuse.

I *want* to like every bike. I also want to own them all. Sadly, neither is going to happen! :D
  13. deersSlayer

Oddometer:
    I'm an hour East of the Calabogie track. Maybe I should keep my Street Triple R ('09, 50K km) as a track bike, it still has cosmetic scars from my 2nd deer attack...
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I agree that Yamaha is too conservative with its stock tuning. Shame you didn't do some research on the Tenere. An ECUnleashed reflash eliminates Yamaha's power restrictions and greatly improves response. Add an aftermarket exhaust and PCV and you have a beast...
  15. MartyL

MartyL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just test ride the FJ09 out at the Daytona speedway. I found it very responsive in,"A" mode (has three modes) Very nimble. The standard windshield worked well. There was allot of cross winds that day and I was pleasantly surprised how planted the bike felt. The riding position lends to sit up straight. I'm 5'11 and i could sit on the bike with my feet flat on the ground. Very important to me. I think if I had any gripes it would be the foot pegs are a touch too far back and on the right peg with big feet I was knocking the engine cover a little. I sat on the upgraded seat and I'd get that over the stock. I really like this bike and I see it as a daily commuter and adequate short trip touring bike. I like the mid level touring bikes and this one is a winner IMHO. Another thing I really liked, not much plastic covering things. Access to the oil filter and oil drain plug is out in the open. I liked that.
  16. RX2RIDE

RX2RIDE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure like mine!

[​IMG]
  17. rider929

rider929 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all. I am about to buy a new FJ 09 and I have noticed that there are no aftermarket hard bag mounts. I have an almost new set of Givi Treker bags I was hoping to use but I can't find any mounts. Any word on possible availability? :ear
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I think I may have seen you today riding east on Orange Grove.
  19. basstodave

basstodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was headed for a swim at the Racquet Club. I LIKE this bike!
  20. Motornoggin

Motornoggin Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Had a beautiful weekend in these parts! Rode Saturday and today. Accumulated enough miles to perform the first service. 601 miles. Mist be a good omen as this the first motorcycle I've been able to perform the first service so close to 600 miles. Can't wait to open it up a bit.

I read that someone mentioned buzzy bars. I do notice a pronounced buzz at the bars, sixth gear between 63 and 66 mph. Pretty narrow range, but it is indeed at a typical two lane highway speed. It comes on fast and strong, but goes away equally as fast. Maybe a bar snake is in order? I don't know yet if it'll bother me enough to make a modification.

On a side note, the oil change was stupid easy. One pan was easily able to catch the sump and filter drainage. Filter and drain plug are easily accessible as well. Just under three quarts with filter.

Rode a mix of highway, traffic, and twisty canyon road. It's a satisfying ride, regardless.