2009 KLR650 Main Fuse Blows Instantly

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Liberia, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a 1,500 mile trip from Massachusetts to Tennessee with absolutely not problems. A few days after returning I blew the main (20 amp) fuse. I replaced it and rode about 100 yards and it blew again. Again and it blew instantly. Now as soon as you turn the key on the fuse blows. My son has been tracing all the wires down looking for a place where a wire grounds out, is unplugged,etc. Nothing so far.

Any ideas? Thanks.
  2. DirtDriven

DirtDriven Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer:
    Have you checked your wiring harness. Their was a recall on the wiring harness from rubbing the frame. One place I know is right under the gas tank and I know their are a couple of places that was mentioned in the recall. If you have not had it done may be a good place to start
  3. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    unplug everything.... put a fuse in it. start plugging things back in... listen for the pop
  4. Doorguy1979

Doorguy1979 Dreamridin'

Oddometer:
    This exact thing happenned to me on my "08, there was a recall after it was done under warranty. 1st time it happened the Dealer couldn't find anything, the fuse didn't blow anymore ect. Rode it home, and another 150 miles. It died at 75 on the highway.........total electrical failure, Kawasaki replaced my entire wiring harness...under warranty.
  5. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll pull the tank off plus call the dealership and inquire about the recall. Just bought it so not sure if it's still under warranty.
  6. Trooper

Trooper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Assuming the original owner did not do the recall, it is a Federal safety recall on all 08/09 models. It should be covered even if you are not the original owner. The recall also covered the muffler mounting bolts.

Greg
  7. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    Ignition switch harness shorting out on the ignition coil bracket on the left side of frame under the tank. Recall replaces that and sheaths it. There are several more rub areas such as under the rear tank mount and behind the headlight. I sheathed all the rub spots myself and had the recall work checked off as done, I did not want them reversing my fine handywork :-).

Check out http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58585

I have a post with marked up pics on that forum, but cannot find it for some reason. This link above builds on that.
  8. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    My son called the local Kawasaki shop and, of course, the warranty ran out in June (wouldn't you know it). They checked and it showed that the wiring harness recall had been done on the bike. So my son took off the gas tank and found one spot where the wiring harness was pressed but no rub through or anything that looked like a potential ground situation. He then put in a new fuse and it worked. So he is going to do a closer exam on the harness at that point, move it to help avoid pinching and then we'll ride it for a while to make sure the problem is solv - eded as Inspector Clouseau would say.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Perhaps one day I'll know enough to pass it forward.

By the way, there's a ride report in my signature from the Boston area back to Nashville on this bike 2 up with a full load of luggage. That's about as far as I want to travel in that condition. I'm thankful the problem didn't occur during the trip.
  10. DirtDriven

DirtDriven Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer:
    I would check the harness out yourself for sure. After I had the recall done. I still found a couple of places that had potential for wear through problems later on. So it's a good thing to check it out yourself. Besides if you see the recall kit itself is kind of funny anyway. Well to me I guess. Good Luck