What Dual Sport should Honda build next

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by itrack, Oct 12, 2012.

1. itrack

itrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like my CRF250L and plan to rack up some serious miles on it. In the near future 1-2 years I'm going to be looking for something a little more serious. I know there is no perfect bike. With the sales of the CRF250L being what they are I would imagine that Honda will be looking to build a bigger version in the future. The CRF250L has been a great seller so far due to the price vs performance. I would bet Honda would follow that same path for a bigger version. List what you would be looking for in a bigger bike let's say priced at 6,899.99.

Here is my CRF350L

30-35 whp on a dyno
    FI
    Low end torque
    Dot trials tires
    short ratio box with OD 6th for freeway riding
    comfortable seat
    low vibrations at 65-75mph
    real suspension tuned for woods say showa twin chambers off a CR
    maint schedule like the WR250R
    electric start
    low seat height
    rear rack standard

I don't mind a steal frame as long as the weight is kept in check.
  2. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    CRF500L with a six speed, 200 mile range and enough subframe to support some camping gear.
  3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that they'll realize that it's time to give the ol' 650L a make over.

Or they'll look at tapping the 400cc market.

Either way, FI and a low seat will be top of the list. Don't count on any fancy forks or a reasonable price.
  4. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The direction the Japanese four is going doesn't bode well for North America buyers in terms of a more techy bike. They're catering to the emerging markets with low cost entry level bikes and introducing them as world offerings. Keeps costs low. Or they just keep the status quo. Would love to see a something new in the 400-500 cc area with near 40 rwhp. I'm not holding my breath though.
  5. itrack

itrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't think they would do good to have a progression of Enduro bikes for customers as their age and experience increase?
  6. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    What is really aggravating is the fact that they have the majority of the parts they need to build a darned good mid to large bore DS bike sitting on the shelf!
  7. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do, just as they have with the trail bikes. They obviously have the data that shows it's not worth the effort, I can't explain it otherwise. The CRF250L is selling very briskly it seems. Maybe they will forge ahead on a larger bike.
  8. Bullwinkle58

Bullwinkle58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All they have to do is make the 450x fuel injected & street legal in CA. If they really wanted to make me happy, it would come with a transparent 3 gallon tank, 14t front sprocket, and a price under $8k. I'd have to do nothing to it. That's realistic, no?
  9. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda already makes a dual sport with 350 power. It is called the XR650L. The dual sport Honda should be building is obvious: the XR650R re-engineered into a dual sport. But we already know that is never going to happen now that Honda dual sports have become the Toyotas or maybe even the Hyundais of motorcycles.

So y'all can forget dual sported 450 enduros. We are talking Honda not KTM. Cheap is in at Honda. So I propose simply updating the XR650L. I was just on one last weekend and had forgotten the basic goodness of that bike. It is a good motocycle that is just really over weight and really underpowered. If it weren't such a dog I would love it.

So I propose keeping the same basic bike but give it an update. A modern exhaust and battery along with some other bits from this century would drop an easy 25 pounds. And for God's sake pull the cork out of its ass. It is a 650 so make it run like a 650 or, at the very least, like a 450. Cheap and easy - just like Honda likes it these days.
  10. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Ice Breather!

Oddometer:
    ill chime in... Honda should build a bike to compete directly with the new KTM 500EXC. a pure dirt bike with lights essentially. my 2 cents.... :deal
  11. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Yes, a 450 or 500. Tunable suspension, six speed and I would even take a carb to keep the complexity and cost down. Also keep the damn thing under 300lbs, I guess I am dreaming. :lol3 Oh yea Magic button.
  12. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with what most have said, fix / redo the 650. With Honda and Yamaha on the EFI kick with the 250's, if Honda would be the first to come out with an EFI 650....make it KLR-ish but better and not such a pig. Offroad capable but able to super slab in mild comfort....I think they could grab a big chunk of the market and run away with it. Heck I'd say it's possible with "Adventure Touring" being the hottest 2 words on the market since "Hammer Time", I think it would sell like hot cakes.
  13. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Ice Breather!

Oddometer:

MAAAAGICCC BUTTONNN!!! da da DAAAA!!! :loaded
  14. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Let's go a different way here -

NC700V Varadero, based on the new NC700X. It would be the new TransAlp.
  15. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be unfortunate. But it is the most likely.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Are you also wanting the price and maintenance schedule associated with that sort of design? Just curious.:D

The best trick they could do is make the XR650R road legal and maybe make a similar version in a 400. I agree with the 6 speeds, but should be a WR box so that it takes full advantage of the power spread of the four stroke.
  17. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Ice Breather!

Oddometer:

Sure! i dont mind doing a little maintenance to be able to haul ass in the woods... though I would never in my life buy a brand new motorcycle. I would wait a few years and pick one up used from someone for 3/4ths the msrp new.
  18. SlowRide13

SlowRide13 Veteran n00b

Oddometer:
    ^^^ This.
  19. itrack

itrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly, look at the CRF230 series bikes. The only good thing about that bike is the motor, weight, and seat height. If they had stuck the CR85 expert shock/USD forks on to begin with that bike would be a legend. If they aren't going to give us serious suspension so that they can meet a price point than at least make it easy for us to use the Honda parts bin to upgrade on our own. If the bike had a easy path to upgrades than people could make the bike more serious as they got the cash and Honda could go to market at a cheap price. If Honda offered a 300cc kit, HRC full exhaust, racks, upgraded forks/rear shock, factory "race tune", etc I would be saving for it right now. I can't be the only one that wants a little more serious bike for offroad work.
  20. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    how about a street legal honda fatcat with a xr 400 motor.