1.60 front rim on a 990R

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by olec, Jul 25, 2012.

1. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!

What are the downsides of having a 1.60 typical Excel A60 front rim on the 990R? I know the profile will be more round, ie it digs deeper in the loose stuff making cornering more precise. It also wears tires faster, esp the centre knobs. I will get a wider range of tires to select from bc it's possible to use those 80/100 tires despite a 90/90 is recommended.

What about the feeling in higher speeds? Will it get more nervous? Instability? Etc. So what ya say about the worst downsides?

My riding with this rim will be mainly gravel (both hard and loose), some two track and easier single track. Add some paved connections, but I try to avoid them. No 2up.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: stocker is kept for 2up and road duty.....
  2. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an A60 on my 950S and have experienced NO downsides

not one dent since i put it on
  3. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Changed my OEM to a 1.85 excel - no problems that Ive encountered. Cant see why the 1.6 should be any different??
  4. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  5. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also am running a Woody's 1.85 front hoop, no problem at all, except that if I could do it all over, I would go with the A-160 as it IS the strongest hoop available that I know of. Over 25k on this wheel and speeds of up to 106mph (on dirt at Death Valley) But I am 325 all geared up and tend to "hit" things really hard.

Take care Brother, Eric.
  6. KonradKTM

KonradKTM Yes! Let's go!

Oddometer:
    I heard claims of increased tire wear on an narrower rim but don't know to what extent this occur...
    However, to be on the safe side you should sell the complete front wheel to me!!! :rofl

Congrats with the "new" bike!!
  7. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an A60 Woody's built front on my 990R with out any down sides for my riding, lots of off road, dirt road and an embarrassing amount of highway getting to the good stuff. The tire is a little rounder profile so it may give up a little pushing hard on the twisty pavement but I don't really do that with off road tires any way, I have the OEM wheel and a Conti Trail attack for that. I put the Woody's wheel on my list of "money well spent" on the 990R.
  8. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies. Decision is made and I am now ordering the 1.60 A60 and a 2.50 7000 series stock hub from Woddy's. Just got the new bike and there is NO way I will take those wide rims into the rocky two and single track routes I plan. Stockers will be kept for 2up and longer road travels.