Yamaha FJ-09 / Tracer 900 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ColdForged, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    It does make sense on lots of levels. :nod
  2. awork13

awork13 Gas was made to burn

Oddometer:
    There is a new Yamaha street motorcycle release tomorrow, a couple of 2014's and one 2015 model. A couple models confirmed are the SR400, and the new Super Tenere. I just hope the SR400 keeps the kick start only.
  3. Anteraan

Anteraan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This could be the bike I've been waiting for. Then again, the new '14 N1K pushes the right buttons too. They fixed pretty much everything I was hoping they would. With an aftermarket screen, it could be very near-perfect.
    So could a 3-cylinder FJ.:clap
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The front suspension is adjustable for compression/rebound damping and preload. The rear shock has preload and rebound adjustment. Which sport-touring bike is offering beyond that?

It's a sport-touring bike, which leans on the sport side, how big of a screen should be on it? And beyond that, preferred screen size is highly rider dependent.

I always think motorcycles should get better mpg but what sport-tourer is getting better than the ninja 1000 that is at least 1000cc? Also this is a little unknown with the 2014 model and it's taller 6th gear and selectable modes.

I'm not saying I'm crazy about this bike, though I do find it pretty good, I just think it's optioned pretty well.
  5. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then you should seriously consider getting it. I'm not beating up on the bike; I'm making my commentary and evaluation. Yes, the ST market is rife w/bikes that don't meet the balance points I'm looking for. Been that way for years. I'm not willing to accept just what they offer. I want change. I'm the customer and it's my money and choice.

To me, the N1K is not an ST, as delivered. It's a public road sport bike...only w/a bit too much weight and not quite enough performance option; that being especially suspension, weight, and fuel economy. It's sooo close and they could sooo do it, it's very aggravating. The shield is just silly. Again, great bike. They just didn't go that extra 3-5% to make it what it should/could have been. In my mind, of course.
  6. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a pretty sarcastic view of fairings on anything below full on ST bikes like the FJR or R12RT.

They are styled to look like sportbikes, with very little fairing rising up in front of the handlebars, and barely enough width to be useful. low like pacman eating the front tire. Then you tack on a monstrous winsdcreen to make up for it. Just stupid.

Here's my old, beloved, Ninja 650R. I'm 5'11, so its not like I'm a tall guy. This is before I got a taller seat for some legroom. The fairing is at crotch height, totally useless.

[​IMG]

As a rider in a northern climate, I'll be curious whether they can get a balance of usefulness without visual heft.
  7. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    Focus on the tour prat of the equation Yamaha and you'll be the sole occupant of the market segment. :deal
  8. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yech...No wonder they have such a hard time. We all want something a little different. Or, at least, some do.
  9. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    All that is actually very doable. My SV1000S weighs just about 475 lbs. If only Suzuki would update it with better chassis/suspenders and the new engine from Vstrom, it could easily get better mileage than Ninja 1000 and cost less than $12k.
  10. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, several bikes are just a short distance away.
  11. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:

Was there some new announcement?
  12. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    bmw f800gt
  13. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Without speaking for luap, I'd say they would occupy the sub-15k segment. The bmw gt and new vfr will (likely) be more expensive. The n1k more sporty in some eyes.
  14. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    really hope this FJ-09 makes it to production (and US) sooner than later
  15. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:

I hope it offers the same touring goodies the FJR has and then some. Cruise control, adjustable screen, full sized luggage, properly dimensioned screen, decent wind an weather protection, good alternator, low maintenance final drive etc.
  16. Road Hound

Road Hound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd really like to see Yamaha build this bike as a minimalist solo Sport Tourer.
    There are many of us who have no need for all the whiz bang crap that comes standard on most ST bikes sold today.
  17. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:

I guess that then begs the question of where does the tour part of the equation come from? It seems to me there are a host of minimalist naked, nearly naked, partially faired or fully faired sport standard bikes available between 800-1000ccs. There are NO bikes in that category that favor the tour side of things.
  18. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    And therein lies one of my largest complaints with the current state of motorcycle manufacturing ...
  19. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Adv bikes are your touring bikes. /thread

:hide
  20. ArmSC

ArmSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm curious to see what they come out with. I must admit that an ST with less weight, better gas mileage and lower cost that still includes decent parts is interesting. If done well you could have a hit with a lot of folks. Sounds like a great all around bike if they can get the recipe right.