2013 RAM 1500 with Pentastar V6

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Elburrito, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Elburrito

Elburrito Donkey

Oddometer:
    My mini-truck (Honda Ridgeline) is getting old and tired and I'm looking at replacing it with a full size truck. Gas mileage is a big sticking point for me as I put on allot miles per year. The new Ram is appealing with the 8 speed Penastar engine as their "eco" choice vs the ecoboost that ford offers.

The question I have is what is the reliability factor like with Ram trucks ?, I've never owned a dodge product and actually can't even believe I'm considering one as I grew up in a 'chevy' family.

Also, what are your thoughts on a V6 in a full size truck? I pull a boat 10 miles, twice a year and that is the extent of my towing.
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The v6 has plenty of power--more than any options available in most trucks in the 1990s. You'll have to rev its gutts out to go anywhere in a hurry, but that's what the 8 gears are for.

The ecoboost v6 has monster torque, so you don't have to rev its gutts out--it's more like a big block or big displacement turbo diesel in terms of its power curve, so it'd be a lot different driving it vs the pentstar. The Pentstar would be comparable to ford's N/A 3.7L v6.

Older Rams were pretty horrid for reliability but I think from mid 2000s up aren't too bad.
  3. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    I have an '08 Dakota with a V-6, it's been stone reliable so far. Nothing but regular oil changes and new tires and brakes as required.

Nothing has fallen off, but it has developed a bit of a rattle somewhere in the back I haven't quite pinned down yet.

The turn signals act up every now and then, but a quick "shake" of the steering wheel adjustment sorts it out and they work just fine for another few months or so.

That is about par for Dodge trucks. Mechanically very tough, electronics not so much.
  4. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ram looks like it could be pretty good but that pentastar has had some real teething issues.
    There have been discussions about Fiat/Chrysler quality and dependability here before but with the
    lemon laws in the U.S. and better warranties, I'd say if you like the truck, go for it.

Having said that, we recently went shopping for a new family truck. Chev was out of the question
    because of price and the fact that my back hasn't met a Chev seat it likes since they went away from the one piece
    bench. Toyota, as much as I love them, was also priced out of range.
    That left Ford and Dodge. We ended up with an XTR Supercrew with the ecoboost.
    Ford offered more comfort, space and features than the comparably priced Ram.

Electric adjust pedals rock when your wife is 5'2".
  5. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    I've had 95/97/93/03/04 trucks with V-6 power. 3 Chevy 4.3's, a Ford 300, and a Ford 4.2.

Honestly, you'll be fine with a V-6 for your intended usage. In my experience, I've gotten as good (if not better) fuel economy from the smaller V8 motors, and a negligible difference with the 5.3 (displacement on demand) in my 08 Silverado over the 4.8 that was in my 2005 Silverado. The 05 had 3.23 gears and the 08 has 3.73 gears. Both with (slightly) oversize wheel/tire combo.

However, I would find out if the Pentastar motor is the same one having cylinder head problems in the 2012 Jeeps. Also, a close friend traded in his 4 month old Ecoboost for a V-8 Dodge to get better "around town" mileage. I tried to get him to wait until the tuners and intakes hit the market, but he wouldn't listen. He was in/out of the truck constantly as a roofing sales rep.

YMMV yadda yadda. Small V-8, I hate Dodge except the 5.9 Cummins, etc
  6. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    I know Ca Stu has reported good reliability with his newish Dodge 1500. I wouldn't be shocked if you stay in the same (if not slightly better) gas mileage range as with your Ridgeline.
  7. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    I've owned 4 of them, my current daily driver is a 2009 1500 4x4 with the Hemi.
    Constantly 15 mpg overall, 22 on the highway.
    Not a big fan of V6 in a full size truck, not too up on the new numbers but in the past they haven't seemed to provide any meaningful mpg benefit over a V8.
    I suppose that it depends on the initial cost. :dunno
    I do know I've never wished I had less power. :D

My experience with Dodge is pretty much the norm, I think.
    Very reliable and solid mechanically, never let me down.
    Minor interior trim issues (plating on the plastic shift knob flaking off, asshole car wash knocked off some sound insulation on the heater/blower).

I never keep a daily driver beyond about 80k miles, I definitely like the looks of the 2013 Ram and may pick one up next year.

Also, the new tech on the 2013 is neat. Automatic air ride height adjustability, louvers on the grille that close at speed for better aerodynamics, good stuff. :thumb
    http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/

I will say this, though. I know 2 guys who have bought Ford Raptors, and they are bad ass. :thumb
  8. Elburrito

Elburrito Donkey

Oddometer:
    Yes, my goal is to get a bigger truck with the same, or better mileage than the Ridgeline....which isn't hard because old Ridgeline isn't that great on gas. It was fine when I bought it back in 2005 but not with today's fuel prices.

According to this site, I'll be better off to the tune of 1000.00/yr vs a V8
    MPG Linky

I hear you on the never wondering what it's like to have less power, trust me I normally go big on HP --however given the mileage I put on, and I'm already used to 6 cycl vehicles, it should be fine.

Good to hear you're happy with the reliability...I hear such mixed reviews on RAM trucks and personally, I don't know very many owners.
  9. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    There's a ton of them on the road, and therefore it's likely that you will hear about a lot of problems online, I guess.

Worst problem I had was with my 2001 2500 Cummins 5.9. VP-44 pump shit the bed, cost me ~$1650 to fix. Dodge wouldn't warranty it because I put a Banks kit on it, Banks claimed the kit wouldn't void the warranty and then refused to honor that claim. No help or customer support at all from them. :boid
    I suppose that is more of a Banks problem than a Dodge problem.
    I had a really bad experience with Banks, I'll never spend another dime with those turkeys. :D
  10. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Indeed 19 mpg vs 15 is a huge % difference.

However, I think the 2013 Hemi truck is supposed to get significantly better mpg than the 2012...

This is a decent page featuring the 2013 Rams: http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2013-ram.html
  11. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    As info, had a Ridgeline and averaged 19 mpg and have a eccoboost f150 supercrew and get 18, driven similarily.
  12. Elburrito

Elburrito Donkey

Oddometer:
  13. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    Just for fun I priced a 2012--- Wonder how close I could get with a 2013. (I bet I have to wait until fall. :bluduh)

14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I am watching this truck too with the new V6 and 8 speed. I don't do any towing, so 300hp and whatever the torque rating is, should be adequate. But with a new driveline package and so many other new features, I'm gonna give it a year to see what bugs appear.

Sounds like Ford owners are disappointed in the V6 Eco gas mileage and I want to see what the real world gas mileage numbers are for the Dodge V6. If it's only a couple of miles MPG, might as well get the V8.
  15. Elburrito

Elburrito Donkey

Oddometer:
    You don't want the 2012 V6, ...the fuel consumption is no better than the HEMI.

Right now, Ram is offering a 10k factory rebate here in Canada, plus my company allows for preferred pricing so very tempting...works out to 30% off !

2013 Ram's initial rebate is going to be 5k factory rebate...so ya, maybe wait till this time next year:wink:
  16. Jurgen

Oddometer:

I probably will get serious at new vehicle acquisition in about two, maybe three years. My pickup is only seven years old. :lol3
  17. Hardware02

Hardware02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh...I saw a few with the Ram Box at the dealer where I bought my 2500 Cummins. Did they stop bringing them in for 2013?
  18. Elburrito

Elburrito Donkey

Oddometer:
    what do you have?
  19. Elburrito

Elburrito Donkey

Oddometer:
    maybe it's an Ontario thing, the dealer told me this yesterday.:dunno
  20. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    2005 GMC Canyon Extra Cab, 4 cyl engine, Manual Transmission, Hand Crank windows. Getting close to 100k miles.

Bar none, the most reliable, lowest cost of ownership vehicle I've ever owned.

My current thinking is when I do get something newish, I'll keep the pickup and get something sporty but effecient. Like a Focus ST or VW GTi.---- Or please please Lordy a VW GTD. :D