The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. GasGas300

GasGas300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What can you tell me about this bike? I am looking at one for single track and fireroading - want to make it street legal. Who on here is riding one and what has been your experience?
    Calabash513 and sonic reducer like this.
  2. heetseeker

heetseeker Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer:
    Great bike and it's mild to wild depending on the right wrist. If you're not used to 2 strokes, put the mild power valve spring in which will make the "hit" come on later in the rpm range...that will keep you from looping it on the first day like I did. Tons of power, and it tractors at a low rpm through mud and any terrain you choose. The xc-w models are a wide range, have single chamber forks for enduro and cc racing and are good for fire road stuff too. The xc is a racing / track bike with dual chamber forks for big landings...Both are great bikes and you can do anything on the planet with them...except go on the highway. I've heard of guys getting it past inspections and drive em on the road but why? Once you are up in the rpm range, it's wild and not smooth at all.

rip it
    JustinP, Foiler, Calabash513 and 2 others like this.
  3. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    +1000

I have an '09 300 XC-W, and that son-of-a-bitch almost killed me three weeks ago. That machine is no joke, and all business.

For the record, I am no "Bubba" Stewart. However, I am not a noob, either. I started riding dirt when I was 12 years old (39 now), have a good amount of 2-stroke experience, and have owned all types of bikes (Gen I. Hayabusa and Honda CR500, to name a couple).

If you choose to buy one, I would recommend (like heetseeker) that you use the auxiliary spring and ignition curve (connection) to tone it down on your first few outings (if you're not used to 2-strokes). I think it would be better for you to walk away from your first ride (a little disappointed), than to be airlifted away (unconscious).

With that out of the way, I will tell you that I absolutely love mine. Like heetseeker posted, it's a friggin' tractor. And, the power is very addictive. As far as the street-legal thing, I don't know...I bought mine strictly for dirt duty.

Taking all the information (that you gave) into account, I think you'd prefer the suspension and wide-ratio gearbox of the XC-W to the suspension and gearbox of the XC.

In my very humble opinion, if you want one, get one. I think you will enjoy it.

Good Luck.

Kill The Motorcyclist...:D
    Buildzall, timeOday and Pohaku Rider like this.
  4. GasGas300

GasGas300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great info -thanks. I am not looking for a bike to do much street riding, but if I need to duck into town to fuel up, I don't want to worry about ditching the cops. I have a 690r for longer trips, but it is just a little too heavy for tough single track riding.

I see lots of nice protection items for this bike - Hyde Racing makes a combination pipe/skid plate. It is plastic, but looks real nice - do you have any experience with it?

Sounds like a lot of bike - I did survive owning a TM400 Cyclone and a 450 Maico. My last 2-stroke was a KX500. I like the light weight of a 2 stroke, and am looking forward to one with a modern suspension
    Foiler likes this.
  5. Wylie

Wylie Gone fishing

Oddometer:
    I can tell you I'd love to have the street legal package they sell across the pond.
  6. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    GasGas300,

I have not had any experience with the Hyde Racing piece that you mentioned.

By the way, if you liked your KX, you will love this BEAST.

Hey guys,

On a second note...

Since GasGas named this thread "The KTM300 Thread", would y'all be interested in trying to keep it going?...pictures...questions...the 300 "go-to" place for this forum.

I'd try my best to do my part...
    Henryarms77 likes this.
  7. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Best dirt bike I've ever owned.:nod Period. Mine is plated with a Rekluse.
    My friends call it a cheater bike because it works so well.
    '09300XCWe
    radmann10 and Foiler like this.
  8. zigman

zigman Working for the man

Oddometer:
    I agree with the others. I love mine, especially now that I have a Rekluse on it.

I bought mine new in 2005, got it plated, and have driven it thousands of miles on everything from enduros to dual sport events with long road stretches. As long as you jet it accordingly, it will do anything.
  9. [poser]

[poser] the un-original

Oddometer:
    you guys definately need to post some pics! I'm selling my XR400 and I'm pretty sure I want to try out the ktm 300, or the 250 exc.

you guys who ride street, what do you do for fueling up on the go? Do you carry a bottle of premis, or several small containers with just enough for 1 gallon?
  10. zigman

zigman Working for the man

Oddometer:
    I just carry some small bottles of oil with me, pre-measured for 1&2 gallon increments
  11. KTM690Dog

KTM690Dog n00b

Oddometer:
    My father-in law rides an older KTM 300. He's a madman at 79 but has slowed down enough in the last couple of years that I able to just keep up with on my 690e.

He is looking for a new 300 with electric start and wants to get it street legal in Colorado or Arizona. Can this be done in either state?

Thanks
    Foiler and nk14zp like this.
  12. Cliff-77

Cliff-77 Lost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great machine,been riding 95exc300 for yrs.no prob.what so ever,it's been the best bike outa all 25 i have had in 40+yrs of riding&would be a blast on the rd.:killen
    jtwest likes this.
  13. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Yep. I have an 05. Was thinking about selling and getting a new one. But I love the 05's 36" seat height. I am planning on having the suspension revavled, and getting a rekluse. :thumb

The last two stroke dirt bike I owned was a KX500, and I really don't think there is a huge difference in the power between the two.
    badweatherbiker likes this.
  14. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone explain the models to me?
    I see EXC, XC, W, I am confused.
    For certain legal reasons I need to find an "EXC". What was the last year KTM referred to the 300 as an "EXC"?
    ac
  15. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    I"m sure that someone with a lot more knowledge than me will chime-in. But, just to get you going...

In the States, I believe that there are only two models offered (in terms of the 300)...the "XC" and "XC-W". Both are Cross-country/Offroad/Enduro competition motorcycles. However, it is my understanding that the XC is geared and suspended along the lines of a Motocross/Supercross bike. The XC-W has a wide-ratio transmission, and suspension that is a little more plush (*think desert/Dakar bike).

In the States, the EXC models (450 and 530) are Enduro competition models that also happen to be street-legal. I have been told that their suspension and gearing is more along the lines of the XC-W models. A gentleman below (Wylie) mentioned that they do offer a street-legal version "across the pond". Perhaps that is the 300 EXC. I don't know if they ever offered it in the States (in terms of a street-legal version)...and, if so, what the last year offered was.

I hope this helps...
  16. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Last year I bought myself my first two-stroke since a Can Am 125 TNT I had back in the '80s.

A lightly used 2006 KTM 300 XC. Dual sported, titled and plated in Colorado.

Adjusting from four strokes is a bit of a curve, mostly when you let go of the throttle and the lack of engine braking makes the bike feel like you are still accelerating! Tons of fun though!

I thought I would miss the electric start of the later 300's, but honestly the bike is so easy to kick compared to a 4T that it is pretty much a non-issue. The 08/09/10's definitely have other advantages though, including significantly improved suspensions every year from what I hear.

[​IMG]
    Foiler likes this.
  17. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you remove the e-start on the new 250's and 300's? If so, what sort of weight savings is there? I love two strokes and the new ktm mill seems that perhaps it would be the lightest option if not for the e-start crap.
  18. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Saw an '08 last year at Elite in Loveland, CO all done up with factory bits and being sold as street legal. Not sure if that's still possible. Call Roger at Elite and ask...
  19. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know that some states will plate these bikes, CA is not so fortunate.
  20. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    My understanding:
    From the dealer, definitely a grey area... The 300's are not sold by KTM as EPA/DOT compliant, and therefore not street legal as sold by KTM. But they also don't (or didn't a year or two ago) say "off-road use only" on the title. Evidently some dealerships have had good luck with just submitting the title paperwork and having CO DOT issue a title, not differentiating between the truly street legal KTM dirt bikes (450/530 EXC's) and some of their other bikes.

But even if that doesn't work, in Colorado it is relatively easy and inexpensive (though not as easy as it was a few years ago) to take an off-road bike and get a title/plate for it. This thread has more info than you could ever dream about on the subject! While the process seems to differ a bit depending on which State Patrol barrack does the inspection, in summary you: Add DOT tires, horn, reflectors, brake light, tail light, headlight, mirror, print out some forms, get it inspected by State Patrol for VIN and compliance, bring everything to MVD and if you jumped through every hoop perfectly the first time, get your title and plate! Evidently getting an appointment and consistent application of the rules with the State Patrol is the biggest hassle...

This route, however, can not be done by the dealer directly, but only by the owner. Ironically, the thing that makes it sometimes possible for dealers to semi-legitimately title a KTM dirt bike causes problems with the legitimate process. The title or bill of sale MUST SAY for off road use only! So if the title does not, make sure the bill of sale does, and leave the title at home when you go to MVD.
    NairobiBushman likes this.