1987 Honda Elite CH150 Performance Question

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by turbosneeze, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser

Oddometer:
    If I help you find some will you sell me your Africa Twin??? :evil
  2. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Wow the guy got twin African wife's. hot stuff. :lol3
  3. Mario Shi

Mario Shi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You probably wouldn't want it since I put scooter plastic on it :lol3

Just kidding:
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  4. JEDI 2.0

JEDI 2.0 Not From Star Wars

Oddometer:
    Passed by one o those radar-trailer setups that tells you if you're speeding. ...76mph :D:1drink . ..on THIS bad boy! . ....It's the same type of scoot as Cameron's, that yellow one.

[​IMG]
  5. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
  6. Mario Shi

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Just filled up my newly acquired 1985 CH150 with gas. I calculated 62 miles per gallon. Is this about what you are all getting in city/stop/go conditions without being too careful with the throttle?

Thanks! Mario
  7. Twisted Martini

Twisted Martini Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many exhaust gaskets fit on the muffler of an 85 Elite? I have put 2 previously, but they always seem to burn up and then it begins sounding rather flatulent and runs hot.
  8. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    common problem with all elite and helix scooter is gaskets going .
  9. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, that is extremely common. I just gave up on those junk crap exhaust gaskets. It would be cool if someone could engineer a better gasket that would make it to at least 3 or 4 thousand miles:evil .

Oh, and Mario Shi, that does sound a bit low to me. I mostly ride in the city and on back roads, with the occasional interstate ride, and I average around 85-95 miles per gallon on my 1986 Elite 150 Deluxe with an 87 engine. I, like you, don't exactly accelerate lightly from lights, and I hold 65 mph at times. It sounds like you might need to adjust your valve timing, replace your air filter, adjust your carburetor, check your transmission, and so on. 62, is a lower MPG for a 250 cc scoot in general. What speed are you topping out at? I top 68-70 mph.
  10. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    Silastic.

Sounds dodgy, works excellent.
  11. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    I think i ve heard of people making up there own copper gasket like they do for old car heads. Don't have a clue how it's done but that would be one way of doing it.
  12. Twisted Martini

Twisted Martini Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you make your own or buy them some where? I'd love to get my hands on something better than the crappy OEM ones.
  13. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    I ve never done it but in old and I do mean old car they used copper as a head gasket . You have to google on making a head gasket out of copper and then use the info to temper the copper . I think you could use a copper pipe turn down to the right size or from one out of sheet of copper.
    As I said this is just half remembered info about someone doing it themselves.
  14. Mario Shi

Oddometer:
    I haven't really tested the top speed just yet. I'll be sure to grab my GPS next time I go out and give it a good run. Thanks for the recommendations. The only thing that I've done since I acquired the scooter was change the oil, adjusted the valves, replaced the air filter, and change the tires. I haven't done anything with the carb. What do you suggest I do with the transmission?
  15. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well for the transmission, just take the cover off [kind of a pain as you will need to take the side floor boards off, and just look it over. Check the belt, and see if the roller weights are in good condition, as well as the clutch.

You almost are always in stop/go city conditions? Do you usually go WOT from the stop lights? Maybe that is why. I do some city riding, but mostly back roads doing around 50-55 mph and two lane highways at around 60 mph. Try riding on back roads or a small highway or laying off the throttle a bit, and see what happens. Good luck, ask anymore questions you might have, these things can be a real pain sometimes!
  16. Mario Shi

Oddometer:
    Thanks, btcn.

Guess it's time for me to suit up and go for a road trip.
  17. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun! No problem, post your results!
  18. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

I know that this is an old post, but how are you guys only getting 58 MPH out of your Elites? A properly running Elite 150 should do 65 MPH. I can hit 70 MPH or so on GPS with my Elite with the wind at my back on a long, flat highway stretch. The OP should also check his CDI, and maybe everyone should consider checking their electrical system thats only getting 55-58 MPH.
  19. Cameron1977

Cameron1977 n00b

Oddometer:
    alright,

so i've replaced the carb (ch150 ebay made in china, I dont' see anywhere for the pcv valve tube to go so i just capped off), cvt belt, final drive gear oil, cvt clutch shoes, roller weights, exhaust gasket, rubber tube connecting engine and carb. I am still having intermittent power issues...

the engine had a bunch of oil/gunk so i decided to use to some engine degreaser so that my hands wouldn't get so damn dirty every time i worked on it. anyhow, here is the thing... after washing down the engine and putting the panels back on i took it for a spin and bam, it was running great most of the time. assuming it was because the moisture was gone from the engine? As an experiment, I took off the center cover and sprayed water onto the carb/engine area this morning tried to start it up again. bam!, full power!? went for a ride this evening and low power again? This is SO weird!!!

Any suggestions? Could this be something electrical or vaccum related? maybe the moisture is sealing off a leak or facilitating a bad electrical connection? I know that the CDI was replaced a few years back when we did a "make run" after it was sitting for a while... I checked the vaccum lines going to the carb, and did my best to check that they were on as tight as possible. there are the original metal clips on there to hold them in place. I bought some hose clamps but they are a bit too large, going to try and find some smaller ones.

anyhow, when its running poorly it tops out at around 40-45mph at full throttle. when running "well", I could probably make it to 60-65 and it sounds much more "throaty". lol

thanks!:cry:huh:eek1
  20. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't need to cap off the PCV hose. Its function is to relieve the crank case pressure. other wise excess pressure builds up in the crank case. Just let it hang loose if nothing else.