Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Palak

Palak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode this week as well (So Cal). Unfortunately, a minor mechanical. Riding down the road, one second speedo works, next it is comatose at 0 mph.

Can anyone give me a rundown on how to troubleshoot this?

Checked the manuals, and not much there on it. A search of this forum and a few others, and found comments, but nothing comprehensive (although Ladder has a great writeup on replacing the gear in the speedo.)

I take it that the first thing I should do is check the cable? Does this mean detach the cable at the front wheel/speedo, and detach it at the gauge? Then, should I pull it out of the jacket to inspect it? I had five minutes, so I detached the cable at the speedo, and looked at it. Couldn't pull it out, so assume that it may still be in one piece and connected at the speedo end? However, I could push the cable into the jacket, so not sure if this is a good sign. When hooking it back up, how do you ensure that the slotted cable end mates up with the bladed cable end on the speedo side?

If cable is fine, does this mean that it must be the gear, and thus follow Ladder's prior gear repair tutorial?

Regards.
  2. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    Lowest last night was at around 55!!! Today's highest at around 85!!!!

Gorgeous day....nice cool norwest wind....clear skies.....ggrrrreeeeaatttt!:rofl

3. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Remove front wheel
    Remove speedo drive gearbox from right side
    Check white nylon/plastic gear
    Find that is had no teeth left
    Clean out all the old grease the broken teeth
    Replace and relube.

..........it's usually NOT the cable

Oh....wait...if you have the cable off, at the wheel gearbox, just spin the front wheel, the little metal tab should turn....no turn....broken gear.

To get the cable back into the gearbox, you spin the wheel the gently push the cable home....providing the gearbox works
  4. Palak

Palak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Ray. You always come through.

Much of the jibjab on the net that I can find on the TA speedo says that it's USUALLY the cable. I'm gonna go with you on this one, though. I always do.

I don't own a bike lift, nor do I have big strong neighbors that can help me lift the bike onto an MX stand. Do you know of a cheap (and stable) way to support the bike to remove the front wheel? For the rear wheel (when adjusting or oiling the chain), I use a 2by under the rear swingarm, in conjunction with the kickstand, to get the rear off. But, it isn't the most stable method. Should I try something similar with the front? Any suggestions?

5. locorider

Oddometer:
    For safety, buy one lift from any tools shop, they are cheap, if you compare medical expenses!!!!! PepBoys, Harbor Freight will do! And believe me, your life will be simplified!!!!
  6. Rainmaster

Rainmaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is also stinking cold here in Ga. I have plans to go to Puerto Rico in about two weeks. For the right price I can take care of Loco for you! :deal:deal More like :freaky..........and:ricky or the other way around :ricky and then :freaky

7. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Too expand on that above, I have a Pitbull rear stand I use on my aprilia and a Craftsman (as in Sears) lift that works on both my BMW and Aprilia. I bought both of them off of Craigslist for roughly half of what they sell for new in the store. Like Loco says, there are several similar versions out there it mostly depends upon what you can find. There are four or five of them for sale in the Seattle area right now, along with a couple of full lift tables.

I rebuilt my Transalp a few winters ago and it sat up on the Craftsman lift for a couple of months while I was waiting for parts, etc

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-lift/
  8. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is my very first post on here---I had an as new Transalp back in 2000 and it became one of the many bikes I've had that I regretted getting rid of----went to the dark BMW side--but finally got over that.

Here it is in Missouri a long time ago. It was cherry.

[​IMG]

So I've now acquired this bike from a good friend---lot's of nice stuff on it but he admittedly never got to quite finish what he started completely when he was forced to sell it.

It's an 89 TA/Africa Twin/RallyeAlp----or something in between.:D:D

[​IMG]

By the way--thanks everybody for the tips on here---picking up on lot's of stuff.

It didn't run quite right after sitting for so many years and I felt I needed to dig into the carbs and stripped her down for a good check.

And while at it I removed the high fender and mounted the low fender to it. It required quite a bit of handy work as the fender was designed for a TA and the front forks are off an XR650L and had a SRC fork brace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I popped the carbs off and checked the valves---they weren't way out of spec, but I didn't really know if they had ever been checked as the bike only has about 8,000 miles on it---but I adjusted them to spec.

[​IMG]

I lubed all the cables with specific cable lube (Cable Life)--which is the best stuff I've found and it won't freeze.

[​IMG]

The carb was as expected as the float bowl looked like the bottom of a swimming pool that hadn't been cleaned in 10 years---which is how long this bike sat before being resurrected.

[​IMG]

Main jets partially plugged----low speed jet plugged---float level out of spec and evidently water had laid in the bottom of the float bowl so long it rotted off the end of the steel drain screw in the bottom of the float bowl.

[​IMG]

This is the actual needle seat--there is a screen on the inlet that was engulfed in crud---thank goodness it
    couldn't get to the needle valve. I don't know how this bike ran at all.

The choke pistons were stuck in their bores----I finally got them out and polished them up and I think they will be fine.

One sparkplug looked horrible and I wouldn't have thought it would have fired---the other 3 were worse.
    One looked like you stuck it in the bottom of a crankcase of an old Harley--the oil and soot completely closed
    the gap.

[​IMG]

Clutch cable was routed where it was getting pinched badly and was nearly cut in two.

[​IMG]

Looks like I'll need carb diaphragms.

[​IMG]

There was something on top of both diaphrams---I don't know what it is---but suspected some kind of bug eggs---you tell me---I don't know :huh

[​IMG]

Bug Eggs ?????

[​IMG]

A bunch of crap at the inlet to the float valve seat.

[​IMG]

The bike ran poorly ----but amazingly well considering what was going on in the carbs.

I knew something was amiss when my WR250R would outrun it--even on top end. About 78 mph was all I could get out of it.

Anyway ---I'm waiting on parts now-----I've owned over 55 motorcycles in my life and have only once had a bike in the shop---just because of expensive warranty work.

So --I'm a pretty good mechanic and enjoy getting to know my bikes.

Got some heated grips on the work bench after I'm sure the motor gets sorted out--and I'll be on the road-----except--man is it getting cold out.

Update----got the new carb pistons and diaphrams in---now she runs like a top------$118 each--ouch !!!
    BikeBandit had them and got them to my door pretty quick---they got them from Honda I'm sure.

[​IMG]

BigDog
  9. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle lifts can be had for a reasonable price at places like Sams Club, Costco and Harbor Freight. If those aren't an option, the sidestand and prop method can be used. On trips I carry a homemade version of of the Trail Stand (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538235). I have an extension to use it under my Givi Engine guards up front, but a bottle jack or car jack stand might work equally well. Use a strap or even duct tape if you are concerned about it slipping. Place a piece of 2X4 or similar under the sidestand so the bike is sitting taller before lifting it up. You be able to use a car jack or bottle jack to get the bike high enough to settle it on the MX stand or other suitable box.
  10. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the cult....
    When you get ready to finish the suspension , give Rick at motocd.com a call. I took my sad , sagging , mushy 20yr old shock to him to see what he could do.....when he quit laughing...

Rick has built a Moab shock in a long travel version that has converted my old Transalp to the best riding and best handling dualsport I have ridden.

When you decide to head south on one of your rides let me know , It would a pleasure to ride with you.....Russ

[​IMG]
  11. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike Russ-----thanks for the invite----I rarely go South---but you never know.

My suspension is done----it's got a rebuilt and revalved CR250 shock on it and an XR650L front end.

Mark
  12. locorider

Oddometer:
    So today I took the rear wheel and swingarm off to install these...

[​IMG]

Greased the needle bearings and mounted the swingarm....I still need to clean rear sprocket and mount a new chain....
  13. Clockwatcher

Oddometer:

Thanks Mark.......That Jeff sure does have a pocketful of tricks, doesnt he.
    See ya on the trail somewhere.........
  14. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Clockwatcher,

What front forks are you using?

Would you take a close-up photo of your front fender mounting method. I think I need to steal (borrow) an idea or two.

Thanks
  15. skeptic

skeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Clockwatcher

Oddometer:

The forks are from a 92 xr600.......the fender is clamped with a few old 2 1/2in ( I think) muffler clamps with the u-bolt removed ( 4 if I remember right) ground to fit with the original fender brace bracket and then a couple of bolts to hold it together.

actually works quite well, has never moved, I was planning to do something different, but this is working OK...
    Thought of making a clamp from plastic stock that might be a little prettier, but for now I am just ridin it....

Russ
  17. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted the following over at Regional Forums>Europe and figured I would cross post here as I know some German Transalp owners chime in here occasionally. I'm still waiting for a reply from the seller whom I enquired with some questions but I'm not sure if english is spoken there. Anyone able to view this bike on my behalf is very much appreciated.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?id=126003693&pageNumber=1

18. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

did rick rework the front forks as well?

I've heard some stories about the Great Clockwatcher :evil
  19. Andy G

Andy G 2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer:

Sorry, too far away from my hometown. But if you need somebody talking / translating to them via phone I could help.

Cheers, Andy
  20. Schelbi

Schelbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Karlsruhe is 160km from me.
    I going to pass Karlsruhe someday in the next 2 weeks but I don't know when exactly. Have to wait for a call of my customer to fixe the date.

I'll tell you as sonn as I know the date.

If nobody is faster I can check the Alp for you.

Schelbi.