ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #706
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
78 over 60 csx

Hey, hoping you guys can answer a couple questions for me. My wife and I both ride and we have been using 60 series gps units. 60 CS for her, 60 CSX for me. On a long trip this summer I had a problem with the 60 csx only holding 20 tracks and only so much detail. When I tried to share a route with a buddy, my gps truncated the track. On top of that, I needed to carry a computer to download additional tracks. The 60 csx has been great as far as ruggedness, I have city navigator loaded and love the poi's that come with that map set. I know there are workarounds, but a gps with more capacity appeals to me. My buddy had an Oregon, and I loved how you could swipe the screen to look at where we were going and to see what was around. When I would move the cursor around on the 60 csx, the map would need to reload, sometimes being pretty slow. Also, these old eyes ain't what they used to be, when I would go to the menu, say to find lodging, I had a bit of a hard time seeing the icons.
My question, is the screen on the 78 any larger, brighter or more clear? Is it easier to read, especially in sunlight? I kept my unit's screen illuminated all of the time. Does the map load any faster than the 60? I also had a problem with the unit re-routing my routes that I laid out in the computer, kinda ticked me off.
If I go with a new unit(s) I will either have to buy new unlock codes, or a new addition of city navigator, which pisses me off to no end. I just got an older, routable version of metroguide that I thought I would load with mapsource to both units, if I buy two. Just wanted to know why using mapsource was a bad idea with this unit. I don't think metroguide will work in basecamp. Plus I also have an old version of roads and recreation that shows a lot of dirt roads not in CN. What do you guys think? I don't need the latest and greatest, just a unit that will work for me. Thanks in advance.
deputygene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #707
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene View Post
My question, is the screen on the 78 any larger, brighter or more clear? Is it easier to read, especially in sunlight? I kept my unit's screen illuminated all of the time.
No; the screen's the same size/resolution. Probably even the same part.
My opinion, but the 62/78 is even harder to read since the fonts are all dithered and the blocky "big" digits all look the same.
Quote:
Does the map load any faster than the 60? I also had a problem with the unit re-routing my routes that I laid out in the computer, kinda ticked me off.
The routes thing is a difference in mapsets between the computer and the device. Google Earth figures out a path between Point A and Point B using one algorithm, your receiver figures out the path between those same two points using a different algorithm and map data. If a road exists in one and not another, it's going to route differently. This is why a lot of people use tracks rather than routes.

I noticed very little speed difference between the 62/78 and the 60/76's. When it came to finding waypoints, the 78 took significantly longer in some categories (minutes).

Get one from a retailer with a good return/exchange policy. I expected a lot better from Garmin.
(I went back to using a 76Cx.)
Old 08-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #708
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,004
More than you want to know:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0%2F76+62%2F78
Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #709
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks countdown, read that and some others. Why basecamp instead of mapsource? Just got a routable version of metroguide and installed it on a spare card then into my wife's 60 CS. Went for a ride, hit find, lodginging, campground, then enter. Routed me right to a local county park campground. Yeah!
I have used both, have CN loaded in Basecamp, this metroguide and an older set of roads and recreation in mapsource. with this version routable, I think I could make it work for both gps units.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #710
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks countdown, read that and some others. Why basecamp instead of mapsource?
Main reason, not big enough reason to learn new program.

MS is very intuitive unlike what most people say about BC.

BC does do a couple new things that are mentioned in another thread.

If you Route (I don't), BC is probably the way to go.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #711
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, agree mapsource is much more intuitive. Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned you should be using basecamp with these newer gps units instead of bascamp. Does BC just work better with newer units?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #712
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
60 vs 78 screen

I have TWO Garmin 76cx's and one Garmin 78.

The 78's screen is MUCH easier to read in daylight... different screen altogether.

I like the fact that the 78 does 200 tracks of 10k and 200 routes, but it does annoy me that when you load tracks the 78 automatically turns display of them off.

I use Metroguide V8 - the last version - it's unlocked and I can use it on all of my Garmin GPS units. Yeah, the roads are out of date, but it's generally good enough.

I've hacked R&R and have a big segment version... you can load the whole US in the internal memory if you want and still have room for more. PM me for details.

The 60/76 allow 2025 map segments, the 78 is around 4000.

Mapsource works OK with the 78, but there are a few things different.... one nice thing is that I can compile a map set of just R&R, change the name of it from gmapsupp.img to roadrecUS.img, copy to the maps folder on the data card and the 78 will work with it. You don't have to recompile the WHOLE map set when you only want to reload one of the maps in that set - make Metroguide one .img file, make R&R another and so on. Just change the set that you want to change and leave the others alone.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #713
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
The 78's screen is MUCH easier to read in daylight... different screen altogether..
That is what I thought but on the down side, when two different color tracks overlay, the one on to does not win, it mixes the color to create a new one.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #714
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
I have TWO Garmin 76cx's and one Garmin 78.

The 78's screen is MUCH easier to read in daylight... different screen altogether.

I like the fact that the 78 does 200 tracks of 10k and 200 routes, but it does annoy me that when you load tracks the 78 automatically turns display of them off.

I use Metroguide V8 - the last version - it's unlocked and I can use it on all of my Garmin GPS units. Yeah, the roads are out of date, but it's generally good enough.

I've hacked R&R and have a big segment version... you can load the whole US in the internal memory if you want and still have room for more. PM me for details.

The 60/76 allow 2025 map segments, the 78 is around 4000.

Mapsource works OK with the 78, but there are a few things different.... one nice thing is that I can compile a map set of just R&R, change the name of it from gmapsupp.img to roadrecUS.img, copy to the maps folder on the data card and the 78 will work with it. You don't have to recompile the WHOLE map set when you only want to reload one of the maps in that set - make Metroguide one .img file, make R&R another and so on. Just change the set that you want to change and leave the others alone.

My metroguide is version 4 and auto routes on my mife's 60CS, tried it out tonight. Too bad the local road names are just the state road numbers. However, I auto routed to an address using the real road name and it worked fine. I picked up a 78 tonight cheap off ebay, will have to see how it works when it gets here.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #715
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
The 78 is a very capable unit. You can still use Mapsource to load legacy maps with a 78, but it's best to only load one map at a time and then rename the map to something descriptive like metroguide.img or topo.img so you know what the map is.

The 60/76 models require all supplementary maps to be loaded at once into one file called gmapsupp.img, but modern units like the 78 can have multiple separate map files.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #716
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Another great feature of the 62/78 is Profiles. Once you add different maps, you can create a profile for each mapset and modify the settings of each profile to use the maps to their best advantage. So your City Navigator mapset would be set to an automotive dashboard, with "Lock on Road", etc, while your topo maps would be better used with direct routing and "Lock on Road" set to off, for example.

Profiles are awesome.

The 78 series is almost as good as the Montana, except the Montana has a larger screen, Shortcuts, and surface power connections. But the 78 is a very close second, imho, in the Garmin handheld world.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote