Which bar attachment for Montana?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Little Bike, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got a Montana, going to attach to 1 1/8 bars. Recommended bracket/holder for dirt? Going to be switching it between the drz and the Vstrom.

Probably should just say, what gps holders are good ones? Gps noob.
  2. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    1) get the Rugged Mount for the Montana.

2) get a RAM mount to attach to the Rugged Mount.

3) install one of these (a RAM Mount accessory) on each set of handlebars you intend to use the Montana on:
    [​IMG]

The RAM mount balls are available in a variety of configurations, for mounting on various surfaces. I have them on my dirt bike, my quad, and all four of my vehicles and use the Montana in all of them.
  3. Adventure Addict

Adventure Addict Doin it in the dirt

Oddometer:
  4. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Thanks all.
  5. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    arent the rugged mounts cheap enough to have one on each bike..by the time you get buy a rugged mount and two ram balls you may as well just buy two rugged mounts??
  6. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I think I'm going to put the same setup on both bikes so I can just transfer the gps. Also, I'm eventually going to wire each mount in.
  7. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    Why? The Montana never needs to leave the Rugged Mount. I can't remember the last time I took mine out of the mount. The Montana, the Rugged Mount, and the RAM arm become one unit and all you do is transfer the one unit from ball to ball on each vehicle. And if you're implying that the Rugged Mount is all you need, not so! The Rugged Mount is just a powered cradle for the Montana. It does not come with any mounting attachments. It is up to you to buy the extra parts to attach the Rugged Mount to the handlebars. Most folks choose the RAM mounting system although there are others out there.
  8. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    cis he wants the montana on two bikes...BUT i did think the mount was ready to mount on a bike with no extra hardware.If not my bad.
  9. gahendo

gahendo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got the Montana also.. I got the ram ball that replaces a bolt in the triple and will use the tourtech mount to hold the gps. I should have it all on by tomorrow and will post a pic.
  10. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    the rugged mount doesn't come with the Ram ball for the bike.
    I went with the oversized RAM balls, and it hasn't budged an inch since I installed it. It might be overkill but the price is about the same and it's heavy duty.