Upgraded Fuel Pump for SE?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by docgonzo, Jul 15, 2008.

1. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Just got my fuel pump replaced at 14,000 miles on my 2006 950 SuperEnduro. Since I have an extended warrantee, I let them put an OEM one back in.

Think the engineers at KTM have been paying enough attention to the failures to have upgraded the engineering on the fuel pump, so that I don't have to worry about another failure? I've been told that they have upgraded the water pump with a harder metal shaft on the replacement kits.

I've also been told that my SE has the upgraded water pump.

Am I living in a dream world, or can I count on these assurances? :wink: :wink:
  2. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    you should have the upgraded water pump using a different material seal. I can't comment on the haarder shaft. Your fuel pump is the same with the original to the best of my knowledge. An improovement according to the Mitsubishi fp thread could extend your fp life enormously, considering they tend to fail very often on the SE models. Cheers.
  3. firebolter

firebolter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not limited to SE's, it's any bike using that pump which is more than just KTM I am sure. KTM can only tell the pump manufacturer about problems, they don't design or build the pumps. They spec a size, power req's and flow rate to vendors for parts like fuel pumps. If they have paid attention and seen how many they have replaced, then maybe they have talked to the pump maker, I wouldn't hold my breath. SOme parts are wear items and FP are considered like that, especially mechanical ones.
  4. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I believe there should be a connection of the direction they are mounted or vibrations or something I am missing. Africa twins have the same kind of fp with the same problems. The solutions installing a solid state switch or replacing with a Facet seem to solve this issue "permanently". Could work on Africa twins as well. Cheers.