Texas to Minnesota and back?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Spike Paddy, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Spike Paddy

Spike Paddy Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I've made this trip a few times in my truck because my mother lives there and I'm not a big fan of the trip. Basically from San Antonio to somewhere around Alexandria, MN. I-35 will take you the entire way and there's not much to look at in terms of scenery. North Texas/South Oklahoma is pretty, Kansas seems deserted on the turnpike and it's usually night time when I get there so there's nothing to see other than the yellow lines. Usually go through Missouri at night and Kansas City is kind of pretty when it's all lit up. Not much to look at in Iowa or Minnesota, at least not on I-35.

I'm looking for a route that is more scenic and off the beaten path a bit without being too far out of the way. Also my budget isn't much so I'm looking for a route that would give me opportunities to camp rather than pay for a hotel. Anyone have any advice?

Edit: I realized perhaps I should have posed this in the America forum so if this is an issue please move this, thanks
  2. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much time do you have and what are you riding?
  3. Spike Paddy

Spike Paddy Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Tiger 800 XC. Time isn't really a big issue other than I'd like to avoid hotel costs and I'd like to not be gone too long because my dog has me wrapped around her finger and we hate being away from each other. The trip in my truck I could do easily in 20 hours one way, 24 if I need a little sleep. I don't know, I'm thinking maybe a week total when I take my bike? Up to 4 days of travel time and a good solid 3 day visit with my mother sounds good.
  4. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Would you consider riding NW into CO? The Triple is good for it.
    Great time of year, assuming you are leaving soon.

You could push to the bad lands and in South Dakota and then east to MN.
    Could have some wind in southeast WY, but will have a tail wind once you are S.D.

You would have to add at least two days going and take away two days on the way back and make a bee line home.
  5. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    You have to go roughly 354 miles west at the beginning, and then 354 miles east to back track.

Looking at curvey roads and random stops in the Rockies, that is about a day a piece.

:deal

I am not asking you to stop by Big Bend, but just 354 miles traviling west will open up a awsome tour.

Come'on
  6. Spike Paddy

Spike Paddy Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    That sounds interesting...any highways in particular you're thinking of? I'm trying to picture it on the map.
  7. maximus_flavius

maximus_flavius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hwy 281 to Grand Isle, NE. Then cut over to Sioux City, IA. Then straight shot to your destination.
  8. LONG DONGER

Oddometer:
    Only bad part of the Colorado route is having to cross the Plains twice. Otherwise, if you can work that in, go for it.

Other options.. I hear Texas 21 is nice heading into Louisiana, then head north thru Arkansas on Hwy 7. Jump over to Missouri 19 north up to I-70. Work your way north thru Iowa, maybe jump over to the Mississippi Valley like Prairie de Chien, or just hang thru the corn fields on back roads. You can find campgrounds in Ark and Mo easily enough. Not sure of your time frame, but it's hot here now.

Or do east Texas, up to 259 thru southeast OK, up to Talimena Scenic Drive, head east on it. Then just pick some roads heading north (23 or 21 are great) thru Arkansas, then do the same thing thru Missouri and Iowa. Loess Hills Scenic Byway is worthy of some attention in northwest Iowa.

I think you'll be surprised at the beauty you can find just getting off the interstate onto the back roads, even in Kansas. Much slower going, but an entirely different appreciation of the country side.
  9. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a plane... There isn't anything worth seeing :p
  10. LONG DONGER

Oddometer:
    Better yet, fly Mom to Texas over a weekend. Let her visit for three days, use the other four and ride the Texas Hill Country....
  11. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I do not have any highway routes.

FWIW, if you go to the Rockies regional forum, it is damn near all CO riders.

If anyone could help you with a route from west Texas to the SD bad lands , it is those dudes.

Once in SD ride through the Badlands National Park. It is pretty much west to east and worth it.

Like I typed, you have the triple. So you should be ok and not be too tried.
    Just do a rough estimate on milage and see how many miles per day it is.

Maybe take the 800 out for a ride at that milage and see how you feel. If you are smoked, then it is not worth it.
  13. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the good roads I know of in Iowa, MN or WI follow the river or at least connect up with it.

That is where you will get your twists, turns and elevation change.

Honestly, your route from TX to Alexandria, MN. seems like a tough one to spice up.

My best advice would be to map out something along the river north and see how it goes. I know there are lots of camping opportunities along the way and quite a few cheap hotel/motels too. If it turns out OK, head back the same way. If it is boring and too much hassle, just take I-35 back home and at least you tried it.
  14. Spike Paddy

Spike Paddy Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Some great ideas, thanks guys! Might take that 281 to NE idea...it's mostly straight line but I should mention this trip would be by far the longest trip I've ever taken on a bike. Might be a good way to test how well I'm able to handle it. That way on the way back I'll have a better idea on how far out the way I can go while still having a good time. I'd simply fly my mother here but she's in no condition for that, and also I really want to go on a long trip with my new Tiger 800.
  15. LONG DONGER

Oddometer:
    Chillicothe is the home of Sliced Bread, can't get any better than that.

And I avoid Branson like the ebola....
  16. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stumbled through Branson last year cause my old riding buddy wanted to eat at "The Cracker Barrell"... it was on the north side of town so we had to ride through "The Strip".

I would never have thought that many schlock shows could be lined up bumper to bumper... It was Vegas for Baptists...

But, to each, their own...

Home of Sliced Bread... worth the trip...

from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillicothe,_Missouri

NFE
  17. Spike Paddy

Spike Paddy Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I'd just put my mother on a plane but she can't drive anymore and doesn't have anyone to take her to the airport. The trip would be really hard on her anyway. Thought this would be a chance to surprise her and go on my first real trip on my bike.
  18. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:

I also think it means a little more to family when you put in the effort to visit them.

Any roads in/near Alexandria MN that are any good? Throw the bike in the truck, pound out boring interstate miles and unload the bike for a good ride.
  19. Spike Paddy

Spike Paddy Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I don't have the truck anymore, just the Tiger and a XR650. There's some nice twisty roads around some of the lakes but the speed limit is usually low and there's usually cops everywhere. Other than that, that part of the state is mostly corn fields as far as the eye can see. I don't think MN gets very pretty until Bemidji and farther north, but that's just me.
  20. LONG DONGER

Oddometer:
    Totally agree on Branson. Couple of years ago, we rode thru. We sat at a traffic light waiting to make a left for what seemed like 5 minutes. Just as we get a green turn, my buddy dropped his sunglasses. I go, he gets off the bike and gets glasses, and then goes thru light. Yep, he and I made it thru, out of the dozen or so blue hairs. No one even honked.:lol3

[​IMG]