Riding Around the Hood

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Well this year is it.
    I'm getting older, and I gotta see some of this world right near where I live.
    I'm going to ride my seat right off this bike, along with MANY sets of tires,
    and all of YOU are going to help me :freaky

This thread will be about rides;
    Rides near Mt. Hood,
    Rides around Mt. Hood,
    Rides originating FROM Mt. Hood.

Some Rides won't really have much to do with Mt. Hood,
    except that some of us live near Mt. Hood,
    so that all our rides will originate from near Mt. Hood :D.

But I'll need some help, here.
    So, all you FFs From Hood River, White Salmon, The Dalles, and other surrounding areas,
    as well as all the Inmates just passing through, help me add to this thread.

Ride Reports covered within THIS thread:
    Madras, Ashwood, Donnybrook, Horse Heaven, Cherry Creek, Twickenham, Mitchell Posts #21-35: by Apple Jam: the dirt way
    Lyle, Klickitat, Wahkiakus, Rock Creek Canyon, Roosevelt, Bickleton Posts #126-129: with Apple Jam & Scottnt
    Petersburg, Fairbanks, Freebridge, Tygh Ridge, Sherrars, Mack's Canyon, Deschutes, Maupin Posts #197-202: Apple Jam & TourPros
    Rowena Loops, Moody, Fairbanks, Freebridge Posts #214-224: with Apple Jam, Easy-Z & MortimerSickle
    Ride to Brookings, OR, for April Fools Gathering Posts #302 & 303: with Apple Jam, s1marks and Mr. Fisherman
    Oregon Trail crossing of the John Day River in Sherman County: Posts #365-405: Apple Jam, Ladukebob, Craig McCurdy & Crash Clay, el guapo nada
    Lyle, Canyon Rd, Appleton, Klickitat, Wahkiakus, Conboy Lake, Glenwood Posts #414-423: with Apple Jam & el guapo nada
    Powerlines Roads near Ketchum Ranch Posts 483-484: with Craig McCurdy, Crash Clay, TourPros, and TTDave
    Ketchum Rd from dvwalker's place in Mosier Posts #502-503: with Apple Jam & dvwalker
    Mt. Hood ProRally with Craig McCurdy and TourPros
    Rowena, Biggs, Condon, Fossil, Antelope, Madras with Light n Fast
    Red Menace's Tipi Tour Red Menace, Mr Cob, with several guests
    Hood River Upper Valley Rally 2011 Pages 53-64 but the pics finally start here on Page 62
    The old Red Hill Guard Station with Apple Jam
    Ashwood & Cherry Creek Ranch with MadChap
    Road 44 to Tygh Valley & back with Matloik & wife, Apple Jam, Loud Al, NoPo Chicken, martinmenace, Dale 2011

Rides and Reports from our Local Area ADVriders,
    covered in other threads:
    Spring Break in the Ochoco Forest ..... summarized here on Post #244 of THIS thread, with my RR here, Posts #160-163
    ..........by oremike, Apple Jam, Petrolburner & leenpockets, and JayhooRay.
    Maupin Bakeoven Shaniko Fossil Mitchell Prineville & back to Parkdale with Apple Jam, Squishy & MortimerSickle, Posts #66-79
    SOLO on LOLO, by Apple Jam: Lolo Pass, North Perimeter of Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness and ALL around Badger Wilderness
    Shortcut to Mother's Day Breakfast, by Apple Jam: Upper Hood River Valley to Mill Creek Rd, outside The Dalles
    Hood River Doods heading East, with Apple Jam & TourPros: Klickitat, Centerville, Goldendale starts on Post #6
    Last Chance Abbott Rd, a Wilderness Ride : Apple Jam, Slow Joe, Hells Alien, Scott_PDX, Taranaki, martinmenace, Dale2011

What I did this Summer by el guapo nada, in Day Trippin', covers many Gorge area rides
    CX500 vs The Gorge by el guapo nada, in Day Trippin', covers many Gorge area rides
    "Sundays 'round the Gorge" by el guapo nada & Apple Jam: The Dalles, Mt Hood NF, Bonney Crossing, Wamic, White River SP

Hood River Rides out the Back Door by Craig McCurdy and Crash Clay, in Day Trippin', covers many Hood & Gorge area rides
    Painted Hills ride by JeffinTD
    Solo Alaska Ride by JeffinTD

Hood River Area by TourPros and RedMenace
    Two Beautiful Posts from New Trick
    A couple of sweet pics & posts, and this and this, from Ladukebob

A February Expedition by RedMenace, and his Sidecar Touring and training website, Adventure Sidecar
    Eastern Columbia Gorge Mini Tour by RedMenace and AceRph
    A Saturday Morning Ride East of Hood River by RedMenace
    New Year's Day Ride Vintage 2001 ADVrider Ride Report by RedMenace
    January Snow Ride 2003 by RedMenace
    Barlow Road by the RedMenace
    Dependence Day Ride by the RedMenace
    First Day of Spring in Hood River by RedMenace

Visitors to our area, doing their reports on what they find here:
    Barlow Road with Loud Al and NoPo Chicken
    A little Hood River Adventure by nw scout
    East Hood River Ride by Scout18
    Stonehenge to Oklahoma, Maryhill, Broughton Log Flume, BZ Corners, Glenwood, Klickitat, Appleton by 650x and liv2rydktms
    Old Columbia River Highway, including Maryhill and Wishram by 650x and liv2rydktms
    The Columbia Gorge by Mad Kaw Disease
    Badger Lake ride by K7NUT
    Columbia Gorge route to Barnacle Bistro by Ladybug0048, parts of Post #1 of her Looo-oong ride covers the Columbia Gorge
    Columbia Gorge Ride by Tedder and DreadPirateKermit

Rider Events in our area,
    ADV or otherwise, but local to the Gorge

The Black Dog Dual Sport and Adventure Dual Sport and Sidecar Ride at the Hood River County Fairgrounds every year
    This year is the 20th anniversary !! (not all years were staged in Hood River)

TourPro's Gorge Gathering, now in it's third year, a classic ADV event with some Big-Time twists

RedMenace's Bunny Barbecue, now in it's umpteenth year, is just what it says it is: Bunnies on the Barbeque.
    Always on the Saturday before Easter, this is 2009's gig from the "Hacks" Forum, then 2009's gig from NW Forum,
    and 2010's bash starts on Post #94, here

Hood River Upper Valley Rally 2011 Pages 53-64 but the pics finally start here on Page 62

Sound Rider's Rally in the Gorge is a big event, with hundreds of bikes.
    Worth going to this just to see lots of cool bikes stacked up in the barn.
    100s of Bikes of ALL types fit in at this huge NW gig.

I'd like this thread to become a catch-all for all the Riders and their Rides around this beautiful place I call home.

[​IMG]
    Jeathrow Bowdean and outbacktm like this.
  2. Sedro Tom

Sedro Tom No hurry, no worry Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap[​IMG]

I haven't lived in White Salmon since 1954 but still consider the Gorge my home. Lot's of beauty and great riding. :clap
  3. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I'm starting this off with THIS RIDE

The date in the title of that thread no longer works,
    so it's Ride Report will end up here.

I started looking at the maps East of Madras where the snow is gone, and the sun is due to shine tomorrow,
    and I saw Jumpoff Joe, Ashwood, Horse Heaven, Kitts, and Twickenham.
    So that's what I have in mind; riding straight to Madras on Hwy 26, then finding what there is to find from there.
    I see some secondary, maybe gravel - maybe paved, roads that look like they follow the John Day River.
    I want to find them"

Ladukabob pulled through with a post where he linked this site!
    So there is this week's ride.
    As always, all are welcome to ride with.
  4. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    That place looks awfully familiar :D
    [​IMG]
  5. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Now, that's what I'm talking about !!
    (that photo looks so good, Tom, it looks like it was plagiarized form a Lost Lake Postcard)
    More, please......from everyone/anyone......
  6. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff, AJ - I look forward to following your adventures!
  7. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:
    I've heard of a dirt road between Twickenham and Madras I'd like to find.
  8. Sedro Tom

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:D
  9. liv2rydktms

liv2rydktms Long timer

Oddometer:
    a mine near Washougal do you know anything about it????
  10. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    It's a little cold at Government Camp this morning
  11. liv2rydktms

liv2rydktms Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does that mean you didn't get out to ride?

I hope you don't mind my posting about Washougal mines I have heard about
    them but can't seem to find any info. One is called Mabee mine, and I think it was a copper mine. I have heard it is not located close to Mabee mine road!

The twickerham area is an awesome area to ride. We rode alot of that area last spring. We had no particular route just rode what seemed interesting sort of like free stylin except two wheels were on the ground most of the time! :lol3Hoping you are out riding!
  12. MARV

MARV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    central, wash.(the palm springs of washington)
    Kate.

An old mine to see as a destination rde would be copper city.

Which is near bumping lake off the hwy. 410

there is not much left of the old town. But, again, it is a great area to explore.

Marv (drtrdr)
  13. Sedro Tom

Oddometer:
    :dunno
  14. liv2rydktms

liv2rydktms Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll PM you, don't want to hijack AJ's thread!
  15. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Oh YES. You really do want to find that road :clap
    I mean really kick ass, real adventure stuff :D.
    70mph dirt roads for miles, and then 1st gear muddy rut manuevers for miles, and lots of in-between, for miles, and miles.
    And NO PEOPLE for miles.

And definitely use Ladukabob's link (you quoted above) to the Horse Heaven Mines and Ghost towns, it will add some fun.

DO NOT go ride it when it is wet, or has been wet recently.
    I picked a reasonably dry day, and it was big time rut city in many places from the ranch trucks going through all winter to feed their cattle.
    There is no gravel there, and while mud can be fun, it will get a bit tiring after 70 miles of it.

Oh yes, I rode. And rode and rode.
    It was just a bit colder for the start than last Thursday was, so I hung out in Government camp for an extra 1/2 hour,
    and had an extra cup of coffee while the road thawed a bit.
    The long road to Twickenham was really fun, and I WILL post a proper report.
  16. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of camping at Wildcat or Whistler Campground and exploring the area for a few days, probably need the weather to warm up a bit though. Would June be too early?
  17. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I sure wanted to stay overnight, and ride more the next day.
    The only parts that were cold were from Parkdale to Warm Springs (8am - 10:30 am) and back that evening (5:30pm - 7:30pm).
    From 10:30 to 5:30 it was reasonably warm (high 40s), very sunny and absolutely beautiful.
    I'd say it was perfect, right now in February; no dust, very low mud, and plenty warm.
    But this February is wierd. Camping overnight would have been cold, however.
  18. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:

Hmmm, I get a week off from school the last week of March maybe this is just the adventure I need to clear my head of all the trials and tribulations of day to day life and get back to whats really important. I think I'll keep an eye on the weather. So anyone else up for an adventure between school terms?
  19. TourPros

TourPros Local wherever I go

Oddometer:
    I dont care that you had a great ride with amazing scenery really I dont :cry
  20. Easy-Z

Easy-Z Me wanna be

Oddometer:
    I'll just abandon the other thread in favor of this one. I was supposed to head out to the dry side with Apple Jam yesterday. Sunny and cold in the picturesque urban sprawl of the Tualatin Valley, but everything was different the other side of the tunnel. The farther I went on 84 the foggier and more bone chilling it got. Then heading up the hill from Wood Village toward 26 the fog started to freeze on my shield.

Yup, I admit it. I am a card-carrying, certified, died in the wool, unapologetic wimp when it comes to cold. And I don't have heated gear. So I stopped in Gresham to warm up and have some breakfast hoping the fog would magically lift and kick the temperature up 10 degrees. No such luck. I talked to Apple Jam who was in Gov't Camp who said he had to ride through a few miles of packed snow to get there. :huh I ain't into that shit. Being that I'm also coming down with a cold I decided it would be best to stay warm for the day.

It was a nice ride in rush our traffic to Gresham for breakfast. But I was glad to get back to the still sunny and idyllic west side suburbs.

:bluduh