Loading with a sling and crane

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by 568V8, Mar 5, 2013.

1. 568V8

568V8 Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer:
    I'm returning to Newfoundland this summer for an extended tour. Lots of remote places and islands to visit but some of the ships are not regular roll-on roll-off ferry boats. Between Burgeo and Hermitage I'll need to have my Vstrom Dl 1000 lifted aboard by the ship crane used for regular cargo. The thick bulky webbing slings and massive hooks normally used by cranes just don't fit loaded bikes. There are not many places to attach and way too many plastic parts, side cases and controls to be damaged.
    I'm thinking that some spliced Amsteel Dyneema lines, with over 5,000 pound strength, made into loops might work. I'm able to use 2 points of frame under the seat and the top of the steering head to provide 3 lift points.
    I know nothing about safety standards or certifications for crane operators.
    Any suggestions ?
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    sling through the front wheel, under the bars.
    sling through the rear wheel.

have a great trip
  3. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Crane operator does this for a living, and his company has to pay for any damage that is done when lifting and loading goods.

Trust him.
  4. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good advice.
  5. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I have lifted the bikes (K75s and ZR7s) on in Rose Blanche and taken them off in Burgeo. I have lifted them on in Bay L'Argent and taken them off in Pooles Cove.
    Both times they had to be tied to the foredeck and the salt spray will cover them. Both times the operator put the sling through the rear wheel and from the handlebars. I used a towel to keep the webbing from tearing up the paint on the side panels above the rear wheel. These guys are experts but it is use at your own risk.
    As for your proposed route do you know that the boat from Burgeo is not the boat that will take you to Hemitage? You will have to offload in Francois i believe and wait for the next boat coming from Hermitage. If i recall correctly this only happens once a week which is why i have not done this stage. An overnight is required.
    Good luck and be prepared for a culture shock.
  6. 568V8

568V8 Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer:
    Thanks damurph. Yes I know that an overnight is required.

My concern is that the sideways forces and webbing through the wheels will squish and wreck parts of my Vstrom. Side cases, plastic side panels etc and some controls on the handle bars. So ... that's why my idea of splicing some loops of Amsteel and lifting from the frame under the seat and I'm not yet sure of the front of the bike. But I'm wondering if the crane operator will just scoff at my loops and refuse to lift me. I've emailed the ferry service but their reply is inconclusive. I've not been able to get a definitive answer if the slings must go through the wheels.
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have to understand that everything that comes or goes from these communities does so at his hands. Fridges, stoves, fuel, quads and he has every variety of strap and rope. Take your luggage off the bike to reduce weight and carry it aboard. This will put less stress against the shiney bits.
    Once i was late and had to ride the K75s up the gangplank after the crew took out the staunchions. Nothing but air and salt water on either side. When she hit the wet painted steel deck all the crew just grabbed on as she bounced. All part of the adventure.
  8. 1Man2Wheels

1Man2Wheels Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My VStrom 650 was winched aboard a boat in Panama thusly:

- rope around steering head.
    - one rope each attached to each attached to the grab rails on the factory luggage carrier.

The whole securing and lifting operation looked precarious but it went fine and didn't cause any damage to the plastics, however I did remove the windscreen and side cases beforehand.

Here's the bike just after being winched off the boat. Note the attachment points

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how much heavier the 1000 is (40lbs?) but I'd be surprised if the same method didn't work for you. Like the other poster said, proceed at your own risk. My biggest worry at the time was standing in a dinghy with the bike swaying above my head..:eek1. That made me a lot less worried about the plastics:lol3

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!
  9. Kawazacky

Kawazacky Mad Typist Supporter

Oddometer:
    murph, you and I need to talk about this. I very much want to do these trips on a 250 or less ...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
  10. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whenever you want. I have some pics but they are not digital. Actually, they closed Grand Bruit last year which was one of the stops. I am glad i saw it before they did.
  11. Kawazacky

Oddometer:
    I think it would be cool to go to one of the outports and try to ride up to asphalt somewhere ... but I suspect it would be tricky as there would be no gas.

12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not possible. The terrain is rough, mountainous, boggy and barren. Only in a tracked vehicle would be my thought.
    Done on snowmobile but frozen ground is not the same in summer.
  13. Kawazacky

Oddometer:
    that is what I assumed, although I wondered if a tw200 or rokon might make it.

14. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I knew my bike might be loaded with a crane I would fabricate some winch points/brackets before the trip and test them with my comealong on a tree.If any inmate on here needs minor parts fab/welding in norcal send me a pm.Will work for beer.