Tidewater Adventure Group (TAG) Camp

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by TheWorstKind, Jun 26, 2009.

1. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind In the Wind

Oddometer:
    OK, I figured we can chat about our GWNF camping trip in a new thread, otherwise the other thread will get really cluttered.

We left off at the point of setting up a meeting next week to plan. Any evening will work for me next week. If we cannot come up with a decent place to meet at, we can always do it where I work, onboard the Norfolk Navy Base. We'd have a conference room with adequate lighting, big table, overhead projector, internet, white board, etc. It certainly isn't anything fancy, but it works. If somebody wants to join, but has no base access, I can come get you easy enough.
  2. Tidewater KLR

Tidewater KLR High Speed Hiker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim,

We can meet at my house too. It's just on the west side of 664 at Hwy 17 in North Suffolk, but admitedly a bit of a haul from the Beach area.

The info I've been looking for is who controls the land and what permits are required. Sounds like we'll be able to sort it out easy enough.

So how about Wednesday Night for the Meeting? Any conflicts? I'm open just about any night next week.

Ethan
  3. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk Living Vicariously through you guys, be sure to post some pics!!
  4. Mtngoat

Mtngoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to backpack that area and it's all good. South of rt. 60 there are primitive campsites everywhere. Lots of graded gravel and some dirt. North of rt. 60 there is more of the same. Over Salt Log Gap and down to Alhambra there is backcountry and primitive camp sites along the Piney R. Above Crabtree Falls there are backcountry sites around the meadows. There is a kickass trail down Shoe Creek to rt 60 I am told (never ridden it though).
    A couple of years ago I camped at Sherando and rode over to Massie Mill, to Alhambra and followed the Piney up to Salt Log Gap. Went down to Panther Falls and crossed rt 60 following the Pedlar R. down to Lynchburg Reservoir. Up to the BRP and back to Sherando. It was a nice ride, nothing very challenging though. Good big bike ride.
    Hope this helps. Like I said, it's all good.
  5. Tidewater KLR

Oddometer:
    That helps a lot MtnGoat,

Big bike friendly is good seeing as I have not pushed my skills on a trail in several years.

Thanks,

TKLR
  6. screamin injin

screamin injin FUBAR

Oddometer:
    E.
    Still going 7/23-? Or are dates flexible?
  7. Tidewater KLR

Oddometer:
    Still shooting for that weekend, not sure if I can get off before Friday.

Whatcha think'n?
  8. screamin injin

screamin injin FUBAR

Oddometer:
    I'm off the beginning of that week, taking kids to see their grandma in Burlington, NC. I was thinking about taking the bike along and riding around there or back in VA. She'll bring the kids back at the end of the week.
  9. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind In the Wind

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty locked in to the weekend of July 25 & 26, along with tagging on two days either prior or after. If need be, on the day of departure to the Blue Ridge, we could leave after work, head up towards the mountains, and grab a hotel room if it is too late to set up camp. The only thing I'm really firm on is that I don't want to ride in the mountains, or woods, once the sun gets low, so having the option to grab a hotel room vice having to push on will make the trip just that much more relaxing....
  10. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind In the Wind

Oddometer:
  11. screamin injin

screamin injin FUBAR

Oddometer:
    Sure thing, just checking.
  12. Fredfredburger

Fredfredburger CTRL ALT DEL

Oddometer:
    That is a nice area. Wish I could make this one but I'll be riding out to WV for the RA rally in Canaan valley.
  13. yeti27

yeti27 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you guys are going to be in the Crabtree falls Montebello area, I can show you all the good trails and gravel roads in that area and there are lots of them.

I have a cabin near Montebello and ride in that area a lot. Its likely that I'll be up there riding 7/25 if the weather's good.

If you want a local guide, let me know.
  14. Tidewater KLR

Oddometer:
    I'm with you, definitely July 25-26th, I'd like to be moving by Friday if not leaving town Thursday afternoon. A room on the first day would be fine. No need to be riding in unfamiliar territory when it's Bambi time and we've had a long day.

Thanks for you offer Yeti, looks like your other rides have been going real well. Local knowledge is always a plus.

We're going to have a planning meeting this week to get a good idea of what we want to see/do and when. Often my adventures take on a schedule of thier own, so I can't say we'll be in any one place or another at a given time right now, but we'll keep this thread updated.

As for the Meeting, I finally went to Frank's Truck stop just off the highway at the intersection of 664/64/58. Good classic Dinner food with room to spread a few books out. How's that sound? What time? 7pm? done by 9?

TKLR
  15. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind In the Wind

Oddometer:
    Frank's Truck Stop sounds good. 7 PM is a bit late, for me, anyways. I would prefer an earlier meeting time, if possible. If not, then 7 PM it is.
  16. Tidewater KLR

Oddometer:
    Earlier is fine, I was thinking about traffic, anytime after about 5 is good for me.
  17. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind In the Wind

Oddometer:
    I sure hope some of the other fellers can make it, too! Chime in guys - what's good for you? Even if you don't go on THIS trip, show up anyways. It won't be the last trip! :nod
  18. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind In the Wind

Oddometer:
    And I'm a thinkin......we need to keep an eye out for the Virginia Tag. If it's close (we can figure out Wednesday what 'close' is) we can grab it!
  19. MGB

MGB ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try and make it, dog with an ear problem might slow me down.

I'll bring my USGS topos of the area if I make it.

Marc
  20. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind In the Wind

Oddometer:
    How is the dog, MGB? I have a Boxer whose right ear canal grew very narrow, so I'm always cleaning it out. She's used to by now, but not thrilled with it.

If we were to meet at 5:00 PM, would that be a problem?