NE ADV Event Calendar

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by lmychajluk, Dec 30, 2014.

1. RedPower

RedPower Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think I'll skip adding that. I'd like to keep the Calendar more ADV-oriented (is that wrong?). The pirates seem to be pretty good at advertising their own events for those that are interested.
  3. jimmr

jimmr Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. jimmr

jimmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dates confirmed in this post.
  6. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
  7. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    NE Classic Charity Trail Ride and Big Bike Ride: June 12-14, 2015. The BBR is on Saturday, June 13, approximately 160 +/- mile Adventure Bike ride of scenic back roads and optional hero sections. The entry fee includes camping at NH Motor Speedway, route sheet, overview map and .gpx file. Bring a dual sport and ride Sundays Trail Ride as well:

http://www.cff.org/Chapters/newengl...nShowBack=True&idContentType=1416&Event=28546
  8. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of the calendar, but I have to voice a concern.

This one isn't an organized event. This is just some guy having some friends over, and possibly some strangers. Was he asked if he minded that his campout was advertised like this? I really don't think he wants to make it a full-on Rally.

I just feel that this calendar should be limited to organized events. Organized events are run by clubs,require permits and much logistical consideration. Too much visibility could really cause a big problem for the guy nice enough to host an informal gathering.

If you happen to see one of the campouts that I host a few times per year, kindly refrain from adding mine to this calendar. Thanks.
  9. operose

operose Mama tried

Oddometer:

Yes, with all due respect, this man speaks the truth. Kindly remove my non-event from this calendar.

I am just a guy in the woods that likes to ride dirtbikes and other people are going to come follow me around on their dirtbikes because riding dirtbikes is super fun. If 150 dirty inmates show up at my place I will (not respectfully) tell them to GTFO my lawn. It isn't that I don't want people to show up, it is that I am not some member funded organization with the backing and liability insurance policies of the AMA etc.

This is a great idea for event planning, but again, not hosting an event so please remove
  10. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problem, operose.I have removed it from the calendar and have no problem doing so for any such request. Apologies if I caused any type of problem. This type of situation is one reason why I've asked anyone asking to add an event post a link to a contact or more information, and I try to do the same for anything I add myself. In the future, I will try to reach out to anyone that is posting anything that I personally come across that doesn't seem to be sponsored by some underlying business or organization before adding it, and I ask that anyone else making requests in this thread get a similar OK before asking something be added.

But, please look at it from my perspective, as a guy just looking for ADV-related 'things to do' and browsing my local regional forum here on ADVRider. I see a post on a public forum that anyone has access to read (and will show up on Google searches) for an (non-)event such as yours and, even when re-reading the first post, get the impression that all are welcome (references to "...hang out with good friends, new and old!", etc...). There was no mention that I saw of it being held on private property specifically (a vague reference to "we don't have room" pertaining to RVs), and it was easy to assume that the campout was being held in a campground or the park, not in your backyard. In all honesty, I thought it sounded like a fun event and had been considering attending myself, not realizing it was more of a private party. Had I shown up after reading your post and riding 300+ miles and you told me to GTFO your lawn, I obviously would've had to oblige, but would've been a bit perturbed about the whole thing. Out of curiosity, though, how are you stopping the other 149 inmates from showing up? :eek1 If it was more of a private event, maybe eVite or direct email would've been a better method to provide your guests the info, because though your (non-)event may have had more exposure via the calendar, the underlying issue of having too many strangers show up for your event that anyone can see is still a real issue, right?
  11. operose

operose Mama tried

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I came off a bit bristly, no offense was intended. Folks are welcome to show up and it is not "private". If it were invite only it would be the same group riding as always and the intention is to get folks to a new area and show them around and meet some new folks with similar interests.

The underlying issue of having tons of people show up is still there, and that is why in the thread I've asked people to let me know if they plan on attending. If it gets to be 50, 60, 70+ people I am obviously going to have to think about closing the open invite, so to speak or moving to another venue. Any suggestions on improving the OP to not mislead people are welcome. Perhaps I was being naive thinking that due to the location we would not have much interest??

You are more than welcome to come and we would be glad to have you, I just ask that you and the other 149 let me know in the thread first and please understand that yes, this is just a guy letting people camp behind his orchard (it is not actually my lawn and you don't have to get off of it) :D
  12. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at all. No offense taken. Cheers! :1drink
  13. De Oppresso Liber

De Oppresso Liber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you two please try a little harder to get along before this thread gets thrown in the basement and ruin it for the rest of us!! :lol3

This is a great thread! Thanks for taking the time. :clap You both have excellent points and I can see where a little "get together and ride" and thinking of a few folks attending could turn into a logistical nightmare if it grew too large! I love small group rides playing follow the leader.... hard to do with 100 riders :huh
  14. jimmr

jimmr Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. jimmr

jimmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043823
  16. jimmr

jimmr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread: www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038959&highlight=Sandy+lane
  17. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Added. Thanks!
  18. GearedUp

GearedUp Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. jimmr

jimmr Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer