Picked up a 640 Project....

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gunnerbuck, Oct 9, 2011.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I picked this up over the weekend....
    [​IMG]
    I had in mind to use it for a parts bike but after running the engine I think it will be a worthwhile fixer up project... Little by little over the winter I'll see what I can do with this to make it into a reliable ride...
    [​IMG]
    It has a monster thick disk/caliper up front which probably came from a supermotard...
    [​IMG]
    The bike has serious electrical/ wiring issues which will take some time to sort out...

[​IMG]
    The engine runs well but looks to have a few oil leaks to deal with...
    [​IMG]
    I dont reconize these twin stacks from anything current,they also are probably supermotard...I'll clean them up a bit and see if anyone want's to swap a single pipe setup for them on the flea market...

[​IMG]
    The pipes actually tuck in quite tight so it wont be a big deal for adding luggage frames if I end up keeping them...
    f
  2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Looks like a worthwhile project. Obviously this bike was thoroughly enjoyed by the PO. (and I though mine was in rough shape...)

I dont recognize the exhaust either. If its lighter than stock, keep it. If not, ditch it. Stock SS muffler is friggin heavy.

Have fun.
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Putting a magnet on the pipe I find that the headers and midpipe sections are a form of stainless showing a very light magnetic pull... The silencer bodies are aluminum with stainless end caps so they are likely lighter in combined weight than the stock muffler...
  4. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    :lurk

-T
  5. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    That is without a doubt the ugliest exhaust system ever for a 640A. With that being said, it looks to be a great candidate for a rehab... :freaky
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Yep, for sure an eyesore with the way they are now, maybe with side panels in place it wont look so bad...
  7. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    I wonder how little money invested you can get away with on this bike.
    It looks almost ready to go now.
  8. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
  11. Aivasovsky

Aivasovsky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Gunnerbuck!

I'm sure this will be a great project.
    Can't wait to follow it.
    Please take as many pics as possible.

I will take my gray KTM 640 LC4e to my house for a thorough service for this winter as well.
    See you around soon:clap
  12. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
    Is a part missing, or do those endcaps really not even remotely match each other? Looks like some kind of homemade project, not dissimilar to a better version of something I'd make.
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Nope, the one end cap has a washer welded in place in an attempt to restrict the opening and cut back some DBs...

Up close the pipes do look like factory units and it looks as if they'll come apart for repacking... I'll know more when I get some time to take them apart...
  14. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    What's your long(er) term plan with this bike, Gunner, if you don't mind me asking?

The overlap with your current LC4 is basically 1:1, so will you be selling one or the other later on? Or just riding these two on alternate days? :D Won't the yearly insurance and registration cost be prohibitive for that?

:ear

Cheers,

Tseta
  15. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Gunner,

Really nice.

I'd stick with the minimalist look.

The pipes are cool cause you can get the luggage real close to the centerline of the machine, especially hard luggage.

I cut the number plates off my side plates long ago.
    Makes access so much easier.

This may become your 'go to' machine.
    Nice Touratech luggage rack on the rear rack

Ah but...no kickstand!!!
    bill

Cut down side plates, KTM adventure
    Touratech rack

[​IMG]
  16. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'll sell either bike... I'm kinda thinking along the lines of having a 2 bike system where I run one till it needs a major service, then switching to the other... I can then rebuild bike #1 at my leisure and still have bike 2 to ride until it needs service... I also recently picked up components to start building another engine so I have a spare for either of the 2 bikes...

Probably the summer will be the only time I will have insurance on both bikes at the same time, it will cost me an additional $225 to insure the extra bike for 4 months..
  17. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    I think Remus is the Euro brand. Over in NA-land, it may be called Sebring. I read that somewhere - maybe - 'ere yer go:

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=22139034

Why not remove it and build your own unique under seat silencer?? Then you could really squeeze any luggage racks that much closer.:evil
  18. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a complete exhaust system off a 2002 640 adv
    I will sell you.
    send me a text ( 951-818-0350 ) I will send you a few pics
  19. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't want to put the smaller 2002 header on my 03 as this would be a step back, thanks for the offer though...
  20. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I was stalled on this while waiting for parts, mainly a longer front brake line...

While waiting I picked up another project bike and spent some time to get it up and running:
    [​IMG]
    I figure this bike will be perfect for my son to get his license on... The bike starts easy, runs like a clock And as expected from an unmodified XR 250 L is somewhat lacking in the power department...
    [​IMG]
    So far I have fixed some electrical issues, installed small front turn signals, replaced the rear wheel bearings and added a new inner tube to the back tire... As the clutch cover seems to be always covered in oil residue I have ordered a complete engine seal and gasket kit and will replace all the seals on the clutch side...
    [​IMG]
    I also added some fat bars and hand guards to give it some bling...

f